Singapore Expats

HEADHUNTER ...Professional help to find a job in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
patihmoreira

HEADHUNTER ...Professional help to find a job in Singapore

Post by patihmoreira » Tue, 05 May 2009 4:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have just moved to Singapore and I am starting my job hunting, but have the feeling that just send resumes will not do. I wonder if any of you guys can give me some advice regarding headhunters, or in another words, companies that work for the candidates instead of companies in order to help them to find a new job. Does this kind of service exist here in Singapore. If yes, can you recommend any one?

Thanks,

Patricia

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 May 2009 4:48 pm

No, there aren't any. By law, employment agencies, which are licensed by the ministry of manpower, are not allowed to charge a jobseeker any fee with the exception of maybe a token administrative fee that is charged to cover just that, administration. They are not allowed to charge a job seeker to find a position nor are they allowed to charge if they successfully find a position for the job seeker. All fees here are paid by the Clients (who are the Employers here). Therefore, it's a crapshoot that you just send you CV/resume to the headhunters/bodyshops as well as the job boards. You buys your ticket and takes your chances.

Most postions here are found the hard way or via networking (the better positions) as well as the classifieds/appointment sections of the various papers, forums, etc., etc. If you are any good, you will have already created a network before arriving here so you have a ready contact base to help you.

Add to that, the current economy and the fact that most companies are shedding expat jobs at the moment and you have got yourself an uphill task.

Good luck.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers