Singapore Expats Forum

Falling In Between the Cracks for PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Thu, 14 May 2009 1:09 pm

Saint wrote:
IronMac wrote:
littlegreenman, yep, we have the many copies of the SG wedding cert and were married at Raffles. :D How much more SG can you get?

So did we! :cool:

We marched all over Orchard Rd. visiting hotels when I was here back in February and she then went to other venues on the island by herself while I was back in Toronto. In the end, she got her Raffles dream wedding after all. :lol:

It was very hot that day though...ugh...

Ok, as an update, I've made an appt to apply for PR. The online system said that the earliest appoint is in August. *sigh*

No word back from EPEC but I don't expect a reply soon.

Wife is happy after hearing that a friend's kid has been going in and out of SG on a tourist visa for the past few months with no worries. I'm a bit more pessimistic about that but she's looking forward to the shopping over there.

Duke, to avoid problems, I would bring along the actual degree that you were awarded and, if you want, transcripts from your schools.

duke24

Postby duke24 » Thu, 14 May 2009 9:41 pm

So after one has filled in his application one straightaway takes an appointment? I mean you dont have to goto the ICA prior to that to get it checked etc?

Ya I am getting my degree and transcripts. Thanks for the tip.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Mon, 18 May 2009 1:55 pm

Ok, I received a rejection email, which stated that I did not submit all of the supporting documentation required. I can only speculate that a) they want a jpg of the actual degree (despite my transcripts stating what degrees I have been granted) or b) something happened with the online submission process.

I quickly crafted an email reply to MOM that included all of the documents that were asked for. I also offered to bring down to them the documents themselves.

My wife is planning to write a blistering letter to her MP. :mad:

duke24

Postby duke24 » Tue, 19 May 2009 7:22 am

Oh crap! Was this for EPEC? I think the rejection letter is just so that you can give them the documents they are looking for. I don't see any reason why they should reject a EPEC. After all it is not really a work authorization.

rgds
D

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 May 2009 8:56 am

Yes, they want a copy of the actual degree. I produced a color copy... they did not want to take it as they thought it was the original. Make copies of technical certificates, awards, certifications as well.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Tue, 19 May 2009 6:37 pm

Received a reply stating that I can get someone to go and scan the actual degrees and email a softcopy over. The degrees are in Montreal where I hardly have any friends left to do this sort of endeavour after being away for over a decade. Official, sealed transcripts don't seem to be good enough.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 19 May 2009 6:58 pm

IronMac wrote:Received a reply stating that I can get someone to go and scan the actual degrees and email a softcopy over. The degrees are in Montreal where I hardly have any friends left to do this sort of endeavour after being away for over a decade. Official, sealed transcripts don't seem to be good enough.

Welcome to Singapore mate. Haha. The official sealed transcripts shoudl bear more information but no, they still want the good old actual degree. Don't even think about arguing with them, you are just wasting your time.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 May 2009 9:13 pm

littlegreenman wrote:
IronMac wrote:Received a reply stating that I can get someone to go and scan the actual degrees and email a softcopy over. The degrees are in Montreal where I hardly have any friends left to do this sort of endeavour after being away for over a decade. Official, sealed transcripts don't seem to be good enough.

Welcome to Singapore mate. Haha. The official sealed transcripts shoudl bear more information but no, they still want the good old actual degree. Don't even think about arguing with them, you are just wasting your time.

Fact is, they are some of Singapore's best and brightest... they will do a good job of evaluating your application... and...

They are government bureaucrats through and through... there is a checklist with many little boxes to be checked... and letting your application through without all the boxes checked gains them absolutely nothing... in fact, they lose... for not following the process.

So, in dealing with Singapore authorities it is always best to make sure you get every last box checked... once you have done that, most of them are surprisingly flexible on a lot of other issues, some that may matter a lot. I've found this with most every Singapore government agency... generally much better than anything in the US.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Wed, 27 May 2009 2:31 pm

Yet another small update; I managed to have scans done of both of my degrees and was told by the ICA officer with whom I've been corresponding to submit a new EPEC application. I was worried that they would say that I had to wait 90 days before re-applying because of the earlier rejection. Frankly, I think that she was extremely generous in bending the rules like this.

I did have to do a visa run to Johor in order to extend my visa, something I do not wish to repeat.

guitarnoise

Postby guitarnoise » Thu, 28 May 2009 9:02 pm

I hope your EPEC application goes well.

Here's something else to consider. You mentioned you earn a living as a freelancer working from home. Is this something you could do or would want to do from Singapore? Setting up a local business for your freelance work can get you an employment pass which will be valid as long as your business is viable. Not sure if this applies to you or not, but your post sounded like finding work isn't your number one priority.

Generally people who have been their own boss don't like to go back to work for others anyway.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Sat, 30 May 2009 6:33 am

Thanks guitarnoise...no news so far.

As for my work, I can do it anywhere in the world so long as I have my laptop (or computer running AIM and Word) and a broadband Internet connection. It's a quarter after six in the morning right now and I think I am done for the day. :D

I've been up since 3 am (I work on EST, not SG time and I adhere to all American holidays), I will probably take a nap right now or have breakfast. At 10 am, my wife is off to help a cousin run his stall for the day, I will wheel her Mother out to wherever she wants to go for some fruits and later maybe bring my wife a small meal. Then, head on home for a late dinner with her Mother. Normally, I don't knock off so early but there's usually not a lot of work on Fridays.

I did look into setting up a business in SG (I do have a company registered in Ontario.) but they require a business plan that they will read over and see if it is viable and desirable for SG. Give me a break, like I said, I just need a computer and a fast Internet connection. I expect to earn 20% more this year simply because of the timezone difference between here and NYC.

guitarnoise

Postby guitarnoise » Sat, 30 May 2009 11:34 am

Your work day sounds like mine. I'm also one of those guys who can work anywhere in the world as long as I can get online.

The business plan is only a requirement for the entrepreneurs approach. It's also possible to open a company first, and hire yourself as CEO and skip the whole business plan approval process. You'll need a local person to act as guarantor until you employment papers are all in order.

I set up my own business this way. It took a few weeks and a bit of money but it wasn't long before I had a 2 year employment pass. The only downside being I have to pay taxes now, which I've never had to do anywhere else before.

I used the services of a consulting firm to set up my business. They were helpful when it came to filling me in on things that weren't so obvious: choosing the right salary, having enough capital and a few other things I might not have thought of. It was worth the money I spent because I'm living here and enjoying my life.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 30 May 2009 4:08 pm

guitarnoise wrote:The business plan is only a requirement for the entrepreneurs approach. It's also possible to open a company first, and hire yourself as CEO and skip the whole business plan approval process. You'll need a local person to act as guarantor until you employment papers are all in order.

I set up my own business this way. It took a few weeks and a bit of money but it wasn't long before I had a 2 year employment pass. The only downside being I have to pay taxes now, which I've never had to do anywhere else before.

Huh? Either you or we are missing something here -- to be best of my knowledge, it's not possible to open a company in Singapore unless you have PR/Entrepess, or you have a citizen/PR as a director.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 May 2009 4:43 pm

Does the consulting firm that you used have somebody filling the role of the local/PR director for you?

guitarnoise

Postby guitarnoise » Sat, 30 May 2009 6:45 pm

What I meant to say was you have a citizen/PR act as company director. This is necessary to open a company in Singapore but it can be changed to a foreigner once the company is established. If you don't know a citizen or PR well enough to take on the responsibility there are consultants that will take care of that for you. You need to give them a deposit.

I think Entrepass is designed more for people who are outside Singapore and have decided to start a business here. The process can take a while and exceed the normal visa stay.

If you're already in Singapore, setting up a business with the help of a local is a speedier process than the Entrepass scheme. The Entrepass won't help someone already running a successful business who wants to start working from here.