Singapore Expats

IT Jobs in Systems Admin/Networking

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
chrisuk

IT Jobs in Systems Admin/Networking

Post by chrisuk » Tue, 05 May 2009 5:44 am

Hi there.

I have 4 years experience in Systems Admin (mainly Windows but I have skills in Linux and IBM i5/OS) and Networking (Cisco and 3Com) - mainly LAN but with some WAN experience. I am also a certified 3Com VoIP expert, on their SIP based VCX product and I have experience with Nortel and also Asterisk based solutions.

I have a BSc Honours degree (first class) and I graduated in July 2007. I'm 24.

I feel like a big change and Singapore looks a fine place to live and work.

I'm curious about "expat packages" - Are there any big companies (IBM, for instance) that actively recruit foreign nationals and can assist with accomodation and such like? Or is it more about putting all the pieces together yourself?

Looking at the salary information, I see the average salary for a network role is between 3500 and 5500 - I would expect to get the higher of the two, or perhaps a bit more. Is this realistic?

Also, if someone could give a modest breakdown of monthly expenses that would be great. I am single and would be looking probably for a 1 bedroom apartment in a fairly central location.

Obviously I'm sure you guys see these sorts of threads alot..so I have tried to be specific. I've read the stickies but doesn't answer all my questions.

I am thinking of aiming for the start of 2010 - so plenty of time to gather info. How far in advance can jobs be secured?

Thanks for your time :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 May 2009 7:03 am

You won't get an expat package for the kind of work you do. You might get a bite on your VOIP expertise but things are very slow. There are plenty of locals who do the kind of work you do. IF you could get a job at all it would be on a local salary. Layoffs are the order of the day.

chrisuk

Post by chrisuk » Tue, 05 May 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for the honest answer.

Surely you could argue that there are locals for most positions?

What sort of salary is a local salary then?

My dream may be shattered already :(

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 May 2009 10:16 pm

chrisuk wrote:Thanks for the honest answer.

Surely you could argue that there are locals for most positions?

What sort of salary is a local salary then?

My dream may be shattered already :(
Yes, there are locals for most positions... Singapore has very good technical universities and there are a lot of new grads with decent skill sets. Now, there are also lots of experienced folks... the layoffs continue to come.

There are exceptions. If you are a strong systems architect, for example, or know how to design a large scale AD system, then you might find work. But typical admin work is competently handled by lots of people.

There are also lots of foreigners trying to get to Singapore with good tech skills... Indians and Vietnamese to name a couple, and I guarantee they will work for less money than you will.

Salaries are not rich... S$2,000 to S$3,000 to get started, S$6,000 to S$8,000 for 4 plus years experience in a tech field.

I'm not saying you can't do this... people persons, those with rare skills, those who really can solve problems will probably have an easier time of it than the average tech.

jesse.armand

Post by jesse.armand » Wed, 06 May 2009 9:54 pm

Despite a very honest Strong Eagle's explanation,

There are also people who got lucky with getting a job here with quite a high salary, though I really can't see something special from them, except "some years of experiences", declared on their resume.

Or easier way is, if you studied here, like in NUS, I could assure that you could get a job a lot easier.

Maybe you can be a student here, or try your luck, like those people I had mentioned.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 13 May 2009 5:23 pm

chrisuk,

If you have strong skills in designing and deploying VoIP solutions for Cisco and Avaya, then you have more chances of being hired in Singapore. If your Cisco skillset is just plain routing and switching, there are lots of CCNPs and CCIPs in Singapore.

The big companies (like IBM) would recruit from the local pool or would hire other Asian applicants since most of them are ok with getting just a local package (instead of an expat package).

I know it sounds dismal but there has been a lot of lay-offs here.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning