Singapore Expats Forum

is there a new rule for stay in Singapore with tourism visa

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
joy.wei

is there a new rule for stay in Singapore with tourism visa

Postby joy.wei » Mon, 04 May 2009 3:02 pm

Hello, there

anybody can tell since I heard from a friends: you have to take the flight to leave singapore after your 30days with your tourism visa, not by boat or car to leave singapore. Then you can come back , they will issue you again with 30days stay.

which means if you wanna back to singapore again you must take airplane as transportation not car or boat.....is this a new rule?

Thanks!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 04 May 2009 3:08 pm

There's never been any rules saying that, it's just what people have done in the past and it's totally up to immigration whether they give you a tourist visa, even if you fly in to Singapore.

Who ever told you about this "New Rule" are talking out of their arsenal!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 04 May 2009 3:58 pm

Doesn't make any sense to me. How could someone take a weekend holiday and come back then? I saw all kinds of people at Tanah Merah last weekend with their foreign passports and embarkation card in hand.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 May 2009 4:18 pm

They may well be starting to keep an eye on those with 30/90 day visas who are leaving with only a day or two left on their visa as Immigration would be pretty wise by now to what is going on. They may be tightening up and if you leave via any means to the surrounding countries it normally means you are planning to return this way thereby getting a new long term visa. Remember, the average stay in Singapore by foreigners on tourist visas is only 3.5 days if I remember correctly. So they may well be looking closer now. Wouldn't be the first time. I've known them to let you go out of the country but warn you on the way out that when you return you will be given only 3 days. It's happened.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 04 May 2009 5:23 pm

I agree with all of the above. I think Joy might be referring to the following entry requirement for visitors:
Visitors must satisfy the following basic entry requirements before they can be considered for entry into Singapore:
...Confirmed onward/return tickets (where applicable)

So as a visitor you need to be able to show that you have an onward ticket or an onward itinerary as otherwise it might look that you are planning on overstaying.

joy.wei

Postby joy.wei » Mon, 04 May 2009 6:03 pm

Guys, thanks a lot with your replies. The world u never know...

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 04 May 2009 7:08 pm

littlegreenman wrote:I agree with all of the above. I think Joy might be referring to the following entry requirement for visitors:
Visitors must satisfy the following basic entry requirements before they can be considered for entry into Singapore:
...Confirmed onward/return tickets (where applicable)

So as a visitor you need to be able to show that you have an onward ticket or an onward itinerary as otherwise it might look that you are planning on overstaying.

Yeh... that is true... and the only people who have ever hassled me about having a return ticket were the Singapore Air people in Hong Kong at the downtown terminal... even though I have a PR stamp in my passport, they wanted to see my return booking from Singapore... at least until a manager straightened them out.

But never once have I been asked in Singapore... as a tourist... to show my flight out.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 04 May 2009 7:21 pm

littlegreenman wrote:

This has been discussed before, seems it depends on your nationality, I have never once been asked and on the four occasions I have been in Singapore I have been in and out of the country (as a tourist - same as Strong Eagle).

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 04 May 2009 10:53 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Yeh... that is true... and the only people who have ever hassled me about having a return ticket were the Singapore Air people in Hong Kong at the downtown terminal... even though I have a PR stamp in my passport, they wanted to see my return booking from Singapore... at least until a manager straightened them out.

But never once have I been asked in Singapore... as a tourist... to show my flight out.

Hey, that reminds me: a while ago (2004) I went from Brisbane to Singapore and as I was to apply for a Student Pass once in Singapore I had a one way ticket. Qantas were a pain and only let me on the plane once I had purchased an onward ticket. So I bought the cheapest I could get: SIN-KL for $80 on Malaysian. Then they finally let me board the flight. In Singapore however nobody bothered at all and I got 90 days straight away.

When I tried to re-fund the ticket I couldn't because Malaysian told me I need to go to Qantas as it was issued there. Qantas told me I need to go to Malaysian as it was their flight. Never did I see my 80 quid again :(