Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore's English standard. The World. And much more!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Postby TennoHekka » Thu, 21 May 2009 2:27 am

Plavt wrote:
TennoHekka wrote:Whatever dude...It always seems that whenever a local wants to stand up for his fellow islanders, there're always those who're ever so quick to denigrate him, be they fellow locals or foreigners. This is a trait that's sadly evident here from the days of my granddad, some things never change, at least for now :?

I didn't want to get into this but again I think you have been too hasty to judge. Quasimodo doesn't have a problem with Japanese people quite possibly he's rather fond of them given the amount of times he has visited Japan. In addition it is clear you have not understood his point about Singapore relying on China and India to keep the country prosperous. This is what sundaymorningstaple meant about sparring.

I am not so sure Spanish is easier to learn than English, having studied it myself (although sometime ago). I think that may be just your assumption possibly based on listening to present day colloquial usage. Some of the more formal Spanish goes un-recognised by today's youth.

Well, he did jump all over my handle, which had nothing to do with the topic of English usuage in Singapore, and he was somehow linking an honorific title for the emperor (which is STILL used in Japan today!) with wartime stuff, and having witnessed some brawls in yokusuka, I won't exactly say guys who have been to Japan many times like it much, its literally down each individual. As for China and India, they ARE keeping Singapore afloat (together with the US and Malaysian trade), but like it or not, they ARE rising powers, Obama's admitted it, so has Hillary and Geithner. Added to that is the close people-to-people relations between nationals from these nations and Singaporeans, and you can see how important Mandarin and Hindi are for locals, and increasingly so too. The government is right-on when they reiterate the importance of these relations.
I learnt some spanish while in TX, and yes, its far more influenced there by latin american specifics versus the spanish from spain, but I did find it an easy and poetic langauge to learn compared to German (with its grammar!) and Russian (with both its grammar and verb changes). Trying to pick up some arabic in my free time now, that's the hardest so far, but I'll be pretty happy if I can find some success there :D

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 21 May 2009 10:38 am

TennoHekka wrote:Well, I lived and worked in quite a few places in Asia, Europe and of course the US, so I'm pretty certain my experience is richer than yours (besides getting all that from your asinine reply anyway!).
As for your problem with Japanese people or their revered emperor, your problem, not mine! Just hope you find enough non-Japanese electronics to survive on in your shack, unless of course, you're more "forgiving" when it comes to your own personal usuage!
As for the all the diatribes against the Indians and Chinese, whatever dude! Must suck for you to look in the mirror everyday, all that self-loathing and depreciation. I suggest a good plastic surgeon in LA, IF you can afford it anyway.
Now back to your lil well! :cool:

Wow, I see you firmly have one chip lodged on each shoulder . . . good for you, it gives you the balance necessary to understand issues clearly.

As SMS mentioned, you may wish to choose someone else to denigrate vis-a-vis your 'experience being richer' . . . but then I find that people who think they are ever so 'experienced' are generally . . . not.

You failed to see my point about Japan, and as Plavt very rightly pointed out, Japan is my favourite Asian country and I have had the absolute pleasure of being there roughly 40-odd times in the last 12 years in this region.
My point was that you decry British Imperialism yet your nick relates to the Emperor of Japan whose Asian colonial foray was mired in brutality and subjugation of the 'inferior' races. How odd.

Please remind me of my diatribes against China and India, I must have forgotten them . . .please do provide a linkso I can self-flagellate.
But then if you repeat it often enough you will believe anything.

As for Singapore bashing . . . hardly. I thoroughly enjoyed my six years there and would trade it for being in Malaysia any day.

You may learn a few languages, but understanding them is an entirely different matter all-together. (Oh, I may be fluent in a few, but I wouldn't wish to compare them to your 'experience')

A English is not my mother tongue I bow to your wealth of knowledge and 'experience'.

And looking in the mirror . . . (here's a hint = my avatar is not my real photo, but keep that to yourself)

One in the hand is worth two of something

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 21 May 2009 10:51 am

TennoHekka wrote:
English is THE easiest western langauge to learn, second comes spanish. Too bad you don't get it.

I guess I don't get it and bow to your superior 'experience' in the English langauge (sic) or spanish (sic).

I just don't get it . . .

stevenchan

Improve your english

Postby stevenchan » Thu, 21 May 2009 3:09 pm

Improve your english on practicing with someone foreigner, write a letter to him/her, if they understand what you meaning. That mean your english are improved/good enaught.

Lets try
Find your gift and souvenir here!!...

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Improve your english

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 May 2009 5:20 pm

stevenchan wrote:Improve your english on practicing with someone foreigner, write a letter to him/her, if they understand what you meaning. That mean your english are improved/good enaught.

Lets try

Obviously he doesn't practice what he preaches! :shock: :P

Salah

Re: Improve your english

Postby Salah » Thu, 28 May 2009 11:58 am

stevenchan wrote:Improve your english on practicing with someone foreigner, write a letter to him/her, if they understand what you meaning. That mean your english are improved/good enaught.

Lets try

There's something really wrong about this statement. I'm not referring to the English, as clearly shown that this is the dept of the native english speaker here. Without any bias, I wld say that you've given them a great time having a go at your writing.

I'm more concerned with your perception and assumptions on how the English language should be learned. It is illusive to assume that all "foreigners" are native speakers. Even if they are, the use of location specific colloquial terms may not be something that you want to pick up. However, how fast you learn will depend on your personality and character. If mockery serves only to drive and motivate the way you learn the language, this is properly the right place to start.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 8:13 am

if singapore is an english speaking country like what the government says. How come everytime I ask an ordinary person on the street directions, they usually dont understand english?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 9:30 am

Wrong flavour? Their English is "S"inglish not "P"inglish? :P

They really don't understand American English too well either. :wink:

SteveP79

Postby SteveP79 » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:25 am

Wowser, seems like some heated discussion going on here.

For what's it's worth, as an Englishman, I would just like to say thank you to all other non-Brits all over the world for making the effort to learn to speak English, in whatever form, and to whatever ability, because it makes it a whole lot easier for me to communicate with the rest of the world.

I think as a nation we often take that for granted, and just assume we don't need to learn anyone else's native language. I, at least, am guilty of this.

So again, thank you everyone else.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:33 pm

you're welcome.

i remember a call i made to a customer service for my telephone service, sadly I couldn't understand what the guy was talking about because he had a heavy accent. So I kept asking "what?"and he said " do you understand english?" lol right...

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:13 pm

Have you considered that the call may be answered in India? :)

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:35 pm

Have you considered that the call may be answered in India? :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 3:59 pm

No need to repeat yourself, we aren't hard of hearing (or is that reading?).......... :P TGIF! :lol:

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 4:02 pm

Sorry

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 05 Jun 2009 4:03 pm

Sorry