Singapore Expats

Singapore's English standard. The World. And much more!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 1:45 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:i am not surprised the Pizza guys could not understand you when you don't even bother putting apostrophes in your posts.
I guess being asked what flavours are available may have thrown the guy . . .

'nuff said Image

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 2:04 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
dazzlebabe wrote:i am not surprised the Pizza guys could not understand you when you don't even bother putting apostrophes in your posts.
I guess being asked what flavours are available may have thrown the guy . . .
lol lol lol
Just me

DazzleBabe

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 5:25 pm

oh fine if you insist.
I should have talked to him like this then.
What are the varieties of pizza available question mark
What question mark
I apostrophe m sorry coma I can apostrophe t understand period

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 8:01 pm

morenangpinay wrote:

oh fine if you insist.
I should have talked to him like this then.
What are the varieties of pizza available question mark
What question mark
I apostrophe m sorry coma I can apostrophe t understand period
Much better. See what can be achieved without the lol? lol

I still think the 'flavours' issue was a contributing factor, the poor guy probably thought that foreigners are a weird bunch.

'nuff said Image

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:21 am

Capital H ey comma I did not insist full stop
Capital B ut look how much better it is dot dot dot at least we can now understand you full stop :lol:

By the way (on a serious note), do they teach you American English in the Philippines (judging from your "period" and spelling of "flavour")?
Just me

DazzleBabe

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:55 am

Seeing that the US was there since 1945 I would imagine so..... China prefers US English as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:56 pm

I suppose if given the choice American English would be preferred since they like leaving out certain letters (Us and Rs) and makes typing faster.
Just me

DazzleBabe

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 2:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Seeing that the US was there since 1945 I would imagine so.....
Tsk tsk, SMS:
The Philippine–American War (1899–1902) was an armed military conflict between the United States and the Philippines, which arose from the First Philippine Republic struggle against U.S. annexation of the Islands. This conflict is also known as the "Philippine Insurrection" because the U.S. government never recognized the declaration of war by Emilio Aguinaldo and his republican government.

The war officially ended on July 4, 1902.[6][7] However, remnants of the Philippine Army, and other resistance groups continued hostilities against American rule until 1913.[7][8]

The U.S. conquest of the Philippines has been described as a genocide, and resulted in the death of 1.4 million Filipinos

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 3:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Seeing that the US was there since 1945 I would imagine so..... China prefers US English as well.

Is that why mainland China chose pin yin over the Wade Giles system?

My belief is that a language that is difficult to learn, speak, read and write, like English, will always be sabotaged by the American language.

It is a natural degrading part of a language done over time to suit a growing mixture of ethnic societies, that have difficulty with traditional English.

It is a majority which destroys the beauty of a language, just like simplified Chinese, it serves a purpose, to say it is the best for the majority around the world, maybe quite true after all it is simplest form of a language to spell.

Although from an historic point of view American will always be a simpler form of British English, and with over 300 million speaking it in the USA, it will no doubt, be spread world wide, more rapidly than a Country with only 60 million can do it, although from an Englishman point of view, it will be the one thing that the Americans could never conquer, so they had to change it :P

Because it's the most practical thing to do, unfortunately they lack the skill for understanding traditional English and history, unless one specifically chooses traditional English.

Zhou Youguang who was Chinese, working in the USA introduced Pin Yin, to mainland China, he wasn't American.

Although I do find American quite bloody irritating, because it is forced on you, through all the dominant software companies, even when you change it to British English, it finds a way over time to go back to the default American language, when writing in British it becomes a pain in the butt.

Although I do not mean to offend our American friends, because they also know, it is ones roots, that dominate ones feelings of pride or prejudice in most cases.

Taiwan for example is the only place you will find traditional Chinese, and the UK is where you will find traditional English, America and Singapore have certain qualities, no doubt Singapore will have it's language fine tuned in 200 years to American, which i agree is the simplest of English.

And also the reason why Americans have difficulty understanding traditional English :D

My wife who is Taiwanese was educated in America, realises the importance of traditional language from her own Country and simplified Mandarin, so it is very important for our child to follow the traditional languages first of Chinese and English, and to explain the difference and reasons for simplifying a language, life is full of evolving change, which needs to be understood.
Last edited by ksl on Tue, 23 Jun 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 3:30 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:I suppose if given the choice American English would be preferred since they like leaving out certain letters (Us and Rs) and makes typing faster.

Given the choice myself, depends, language nope, anything else yes! American standards in many areas of life are much lower than England, take pilot training, it's a great deal easier in the USA than UK, to get through the medical and cheaper. People given the choice may well take the easiest way out, if it serves the same purpose. and we have to admit, that England is finished as a Country, it's been going through an Americanised change politically the last 40 years, although I expect language will be preserved, because of the historic value only.

I mean English literature is full of garbage, but we have it to do, because of our roots. :roll: and even though it wasn't very interesting for me, I respect the need to understand the language in those years gone by.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 3:53 pm

Wow, KSL . . . the pain you must feel. :)

I guess you can take heart that without the US not many people would be speaking English . . . and at least it is still called English, not American.

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 4:30 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Wow, KSL . . . the pain you must feel. :)

I guess you can take heart that without the US not many people would be speaking English . . . and at least it is still called English, not American.
:lol: No pain at all, my English is not that great, although my roots are fading with age :lol: I have fallen victim to the software, and cannot be bothered changing it anymore, and have also given up with the spell checker :cool:

I'm a fully integrated member of cyber space now, thanks to America. But I still find that my daughter needs to be corrected having an Americanised mum, and to learn the difference here in Singapore, she is being taught British English and in her exam it will matter.

Personally I'm like everyone else on the planet, we only like to be influenced by positive changes in our lives, not the negative ones with regards to change, unfortuanately we get both and have to deal with it. :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 4:40 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Tsk tsk, SMS:
Which just goes to show, I'm not nearly as old as you are. That's way before my time.... :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 5:03 pm

American english (spelling and all) I can stand.

SMS talk (n all tt kinda lingo) drives me up the wall! Especially if it's sent to me by a supplier!

I do the occassional "n" "2 instead of to" if I am writing a long SMS to my boss overseas so he won't have to pay for 2 SMSs. Bt surely i cn b 4given 4 tt?
Just me

DazzleBabe

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 9:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:
Tsk tsk, SMS:
Which just goes to show, I'm not nearly as old as you are. That's way before my time.... :P
I am a mere Image compared to the subject of one of Steinbeck's novels!

I squeeze my pimples in your general direction! Image

'nuff said Image