Singapore Expats

New friends

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
blurmeh

Post by blurmeh » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 11:10 pm

well, personally I can attest that normal locals might wanna make new friends too.
I'm a new Singaporean, though many of my friends are here, many are married or attached, and we can't hang out regularly as we used to. So sometimes local folks can get lonely and bored too!

agopal
Regular
Regular

Post by agopal » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:52 pm

I agree to the fact that local too can have some issues in hanging out with their regular friends as schedules for many might not match with each other.

I have been here for almost an year, but am still struggling to have a constant set of friends for weekends/activities though i have many accquaintences here.
Monday is a hard way to spend one-seventh of your life...!!!

liquidnoise

Post by liquidnoise » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 1:48 pm

hmmm......i sense a slight hint tat locals are not welcome here....hmmmm....
For a start, we are all adults. People have motive or hidden agenda then its pretty sad and of coz "ex-pat" shd be careful. BUT a statement made here makes me very comfortable saying why local have to cum here make friends. If locals shdnt cum then pls ban me coz i am a true blue singaporean. Lived amost most of my kicking life here.
Since tis is an open forum, I think we all shd be sensitive in certain way we say things.

liquidnoise

Post by liquidnoise » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 1:50 pm

sparkle007 wrote:I'm curious.
This is an expat site. Of course anyone is free to use it but why do locals feel the need to find friends here?
It's slightly worrying that they are local and are still looking for friends. Be careful !
Do u feel the need to mix ard with the local community?
Since HERE refers to Singapore as well. Tis forum is singapore ex pat. The Key word is Singapore....shd the locals be worried that ex pat is taking our jobs as well?
Please be careful with your words as well

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 2:13 pm

liquidnoise,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you should go back and study your grammar again. Singapore Expat, in English grammar, means Expat is the noun (the main word) and Singapore is an adjective describing the type of noun. So I hate to tell you this but you have gott it all wrong.

We have no problems at all with locals joining this forum and interacting with the Expats. In fact, we encourage it. However, we don't like interacting with those who refuse to use the entire keyboard that is sitting in front of them. The computer is not a handphone with only a limited number of characters available. About the only thing we do not really like is the local usage of texting (sms) and Singlish.

If you stop and think about it, it makes sense. If you want to join in a discussion with expats that come from all corners of the world and "English" is the chosen language of the board, then it would stand to reason that you should also use English to converse so that all will understand. We don't have problems with spelling or grammar errors, we all do that on occasion. But we don't like the "misuse" of English which makes for a lot of difficulties for lots of readers. We tend to ignore those posters as it's too hard to understand what they are trying to say. "When in Rome......" goes the old saying.

So feel free to join in, but realize that this is, first and foremost, an Expat oriented board.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 2:21 pm

liquidnoise wrote:hmmm......i sense a slight hint tat locals are not welcome here....hmmmm....
For a start, we are all adults. People have motive or hidden agenda then its pretty sad and of coz "ex-pat" shd be careful. BUT a statement made here makes me very comfortable saying why local have to cum here make friends. If locals shdnt cum then pls ban me coz i am a true blue singaporean. Lived amost most of my kicking life here.
Since tis is an open forum, I think we all shd be sensitive in certain way we say things.
dont you think you are overreacting?

there a myriad reasons for natives from any country trying to get to know people from a different country, an expat forum seems to be quite a logical option and with the exception of a few unadaptive foreigners with culture shock, bored and bitter expat wifes, uptight and conservative rich people with a ethnocentric attitude, over zealous locals with an attitude... it is not that bad an option.

there are plenty of threads with gatherings where everyone is welcome to join and natives of the host country give (at least for me) a wonderful insight. it works the other way around as i truly prefer a open minded person who has some exposure to different cultures and views than a xenophobic native that just dont understand why i like to chill out at the pub and splash in the pool instead of doing the full swimming program.

now, native or not, absolutely everyone should be wary of both threads initiated with the "i need friends" as well as those who eagerly answer those posts in a creepy needy way.

(warning for oversensitive posters: i know i can be extreme on my next statement)

i really pity anyone writing something like "i need friends" in a forum (expat or not), those people are walking targets and the whole paradigm of internet initiated "friendships" is sad to say the least.

it is very different (hence, i keep advising those who post stuff like "who wants to hang out with me", etc) to check a public gathering, going there, talk to whoever is there and return home with at least a few acquaintances and maybe a plan for another gathering...

do you see the difference liquidnoise?

it is sometimes hard for a person just coming here for the first time, without traveling experience or without cultural exposure, plus those who may get homesick, etc... and then they may be lost a little bit, maybe bored (not because the place is boring, but because they just dont know where the stuff is happening). but for a native to be like that? i mean, what is that about?

hope this clear up some of your queries and by the way:

i have a few spare keyboards i can give to you considering that yours seem to have quite a few missing keys.

take care!
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

liquidnoise

Post by liquidnoise » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 2:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: So feel free to join in, but realize that this is, first and foremost, an Expat oriented board.

Thanks for telling me the KEYWORD here.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by hibri2 » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 2:29 pm

liquidnoise wrote: Thanks for telling me the KEYWORD here.
errr... didn't you know about that?

90% of the main threads are "expats / immigrants" related...

everyone is welcomed to contribute and participate, but under a theme, not clear?

now that you know the KEYWORD dont forget the KEYBOARD :-D
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 3:58 pm

liquidnoise wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: So feel free to join in, but realize that this is, first and foremost, an Expat oriented board.

Thanks for telling me the KEYWORD here.
You're Welcome.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Krocky

Post by Krocky » Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:10 pm

Let's get back to Ria!

Hi Ria :D

Maybe we can chat [email protected] female from amsterdam

3GS

Post by 3GS » Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:05 am

Hi All,
Though I am new to the site but..
Just feel like to join some gatherings if there is a chance..

cheers

3GS

luv32

Post by luv32 » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:07 pm

26f..just arrived in singapore from aus.. hope to make new friends in a new culture..

3GS

Hi

Post by 3GS » Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:37 am

luv32 wrote:26f..just arrived in singapore from aus.. hope to make new friends in a new culture..

I am looking for some friends too.

I am Francis. How are you today?

Special Girl

oh wow!

Post by Special Girl » Sat, 25 Jul 2009 7:38 am

Zeenit wrote:Before we arrived on Singapore soil. I had an offer from a Singaporean inviting us to a BBQ. After a bit of digging via email she wanted us to use her mother-in-law as an estate agent. When I declined she disappeared.

Second one was when someone pmd me and said they were happy to watch footie with my other half. Then ask where we going to be based ..I refused to tell him. It turned out that he wanted to watch footie at our place and drink our beer......
hi zeenit

thanks so much for the heads up on this!

I think some of us newbies here need this kind of reminder.

I thought it would be safe to meet ONLY with females (for coffee, dinner, drinks), as I am female myself. Or if its a male maybe just play tennis. I guess it's not quite as safe as i thought, even though this is Singapore. Sigh.

M