Singapore Expats Forum

On divorce...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

IceWharf

On divorce...

Postby IceWharf » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:39 pm

Hi All,
Sorry for the less than happy subject but I assume we have some members who have experienced a divorce here in Singapore.
Some questions...
- Is there a standard formula for Spousal and Child support? I would like to have a starting point for our negotiations.
- We would like to avoid the legal costs, how do we do as much as we can without a lawyer?
- Do I have to fly to the UK to have an agreement that's covered and enforceable by the Hague Convention (Singapore not a signatory)
- Once we do need a lawyer, does anyone have recommendations?
- Anyone know the costs involved?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: On divorce...

Postby ksl » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:10 am

IceWharf wrote:Hi All,
Sorry for the less than happy subject but I assume we have some members who have experienced a divorce here in Singapore.
Some questions...
- Is there a standard formula for Spousal and Child support? I would like to have a starting point for our negotiations.
- We would like to avoid the legal costs, how do we do as much as we can without a lawyer?
- Do I have to fly to the UK to have an agreement that's covered and enforceable by the Hague Convention (Singapore not a signatory)
- Once we do need a lawyer, does anyone have recommendations?
- Anyone know the costs involved?

If you got married in the UK and the marriage was consummated in the UK, and have children, then you are permanently screwed no matter what Singapore agrees. Two independent countries have their own laws, if you do agree a settlement here in Singapore, there is nothing to stop her seeking more in UK, one can override the other.

It is better to get divorced in the Country were you got married, and probably cheaper too. The things with lawyers, is they all want to win, it's a game to them and the longer it goes on the better. Although even after divorce your ex will be allowed to take it to review at any time, for a higher rate, no matter were you reside.

If you can work it out between you all well and good, but you will probably need at least one lawyer to do the agreed legal work. It's not uncommon for a lawyer to convince the other partner to consider the options of taking you for every penny, because the longer it drags on, the more money they are making for the business. Although some are good and have ethics and will work for both.

Another sad day! :cry: let me tell you from all my experiences, the grass is not greener on the other side, women are women and men are men, so if you can work it out another way, were all the family are happy, that's a better solution and you have no cost. I'm basing that on the fact you married for life, which is silly but important for a nutter like myself, who also has to live with the ups and downs of marriage, so it's always better to look at all the alternatives for the kids sake...You can both still do your own thing and be happy, if you are not jealous of each other of course. I know you didn't ask for any opinions! :? But I don't give a toss about adults and their egos, if any children are involved.

If you both agree the cost should be quite reasonable I am guessing at 3000 Sing$, in UK the other half is normally subsidised if not working, I never contested my divorce and didn't have to pay anything only my life :lol: But who the fk cares when its so short anyway :D