Singapore Expats Forum

Maintaining US PR while in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Stoven

Maintaining US PR while in Singapore

Postby Stoven » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 2:24 am

My Singaporean wife has US PR but we will be living in Singapore for awhile and in order for her to maintain her US PR status she can not be outside of the US for more than 1 year.

To get out of having to fly all the way to the US each year does anyone know if flying to Guam is considered entering the US since it is a US Port of Entry?

Thanks,

Steve

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:00 am

Unless it's changed Hawaii is the closest port of call. I had my wife's PR many, many years ago and she used to do 3 days in Hawaii every year to meet the requirements. In the late '80, while I was in my Humanitarian phase and working with the UNHCR/US Gov't resettling VN boat peoples here in S.E. Asia. I used to share an office with the US INS representative here in Singapore. As we had decided, by that time, to stay here for a considerable number of years, he told me to just give up her PR and because she had already been vetted, it would only take 3 months to regain her green card before. Not sure if that is still the case but to answer your question. Probably Hawaii is your closest. A call to the US Embassy would be able to update you for sure though.

sms

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:41 am

A friend of mine just flew to Guam for that exact reason. Check with the US Embassy to be sure?

Professional Bohemian

Postby Professional Bohemian » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:57 am

By "PR" I take it you mean permanent residency? Or green card, this is good to know as my American girlfriend has been offered a job in Singapore and I have a green card (I'm British).

Stoven

Postby Stoven » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:47 am

My wife contacted the US Embassy and Guam should be fine. All I need to do is find some cheap tickets to Guam. I found tickets to Guam to be more expensive than flying to the States. If anyone knows how I can find some cheap tickets I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:39 pm

Is there some particular reason to fly to Guam if the tickets are more expensive there? Why not just fly to the states/Hawaii if the tickets are cheaper? :?

bogdang

Postby bogdang » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 4:28 pm

These days it's not so simple.

It is true that the minimum requirement is not to be absent form the US for more than a year.
You can also apply for the re-entry permit and that would allow you to be out for 2 years (note you have to apply in the US and then you will have to get the biometrics done)

But... the point is that every time you enter the US you have to be able to prove that you are coming back form a temporary visit abroad and that the US are your primary home. So it helps if you have your drivers licence, bank accounts, house/apartment, job etc in the States (and of course your tax forms filled as resident).

There was a case of a guy from Jamaica I think who would come to the States for one month every year. Eventually his green card was taken away from him.

There was a case of a guy who flew back with the reentry permit in hand and was still found to have abandoned his permanent residency.

When you take short trips to the States, lawyers advice against flying to an obvious vacation destination (Hawaii). Coz it shows you are not coming back to your home (unless you claim you home is in Hawaii..)

Also, from the point of view of citizenship application, a trip abroad for over 6 months in general breaks the continutity of residence required for naturalization (I take it you don't care about it)
Plus, PRs coming back after less than 6 month trip are in the "returning resident" category which changes to "seeking admission" after 6 month, which has some minor consequences.

I'm flying back next week. It will be my first trip after almost 6 months here. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now, if somebody can tell me if Singapore IRAS shares info with US IRS regarding PRs that would be helpful :P