Singapore Expats Forum

Would you travel to NY with 2 kids now?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mondia
Regular
Regular

Would you travel to NY with 2 kids now?

Postby Mondia » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:10 pm

I'm wondering if we should cancel our plans due to the swine flu epidemic or is just paranoia. Any thoughts?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:32 pm

paranoia. (just like low flying planes over NYC!!!)

Mondia
Regular
Regular

Postby Mondia » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:43 pm

I agree... although having lived through 9/11 in NYC, I can somewhat understand.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:01 pm

swine flu can be easily treated with tamiflu (oseltamivir) given it is the correct strain.

* disclaimer - always consult a doctor with any medication you are taking.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:06 pm

I would wait a few more weeks, then paranoia would have really taken hold and you should be able to get some good flight and hotel discounts.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:13 pm

Mondia wrote:I agree... although having lived through 9/11 in NYC, I can somewhat understand.

I personally wouldn't cancel, however i would take very good precautions, including face masks, to minimise the risk of viruses on the plane, because of the recycled air, and also use them with discretion in NYC, until you all feel safer.

My own wife caught a virus on the plane and was hospitalised for the whole of our holidays, 14 days, back in 2005 with 104 in fever, it was Asian flue, and the first time she had ever been hit so bad, for me it was a very scary experience, especially when she was dehydrating, and unable to recognise me.

I also recall the first ambulance refused to take her, because of the danger of bird flue, which was my duty to inform them of that possibility, with the plane coming from Asia, they wasn't prepared, but a second one was sent that had all the gear, and she was isolated for 7 of the days.

Surprisingly it never touched me at all. So take the precautions, when you think it is required, like on the train or MRT, it's about minimising the risk, without spoiling your holiday.

The percentage of those hit is very low, and it does appear that the survival rate is very good in the states.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:34 am

durain wrote:paranoia. (just like low flying planes over NYC!!!)

I disagree on both counts. You're right to give this real consideration Mondia, and it's not paranoid at all, it's responsible parenting. This morning the news reports that there are hundreds of cases are in New York now. I guess you have to ask yourself -- do you have to go to New York now? Or can it wait? You didn't mention timing -- when are you supposed to go? If I was worried enough to wear a mask, then I guess that would do it for me, I'd put the trip off.

Re: regarding low flying planes. I don't think it's fair to the people of New York to call their reaction paranoid. Living there, seeing it happen, losing friends, living with the aftermath, dealing with the increased security measures every day since -- that's not paranoia that's human nature.

OogieBoogie
Regular
Regular

Postby OogieBoogie » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:30 am

if i already had the ticket, i wouldn't cancel but otherwise i would postpone...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:58 am

Geez.... that is a tough call on all counts... talk to friends and relatives and see what the feeling is there. We lived/worked in downtown NYC on 9/11, were in London during the train bombings, in Jakarta during the embassy bombings... part of me feels like if your number is up, your number is up. But there is a difference between living in a place and tragedy strikes and choosing to go to a place that has the threat of danger. Again, talk to friends and family and see what the feeling is... though you never know about all the people traveling in the airports. Again, I don't envy you having to make a decision... :(

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 9:26 am

I remember facing the same questions with SARS. It wasn't so much the risk of catching it (and a with a 98% cure rate, even that, statistically is not a worry). But if the threat is there, airlines can choose to stop flying and Mondia & Co. could get stuck in NYC. We were in Australia during SARS, and had to check with the SQ website/office almost hourly as they were threatening to cancel all flights back to Singapore. I would have loved to have spent more time in WA, but obviously some plans would have to be re-worked and credit cards maxed out. Just another facet to consider.

MamaCass

Postby MamaCass » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 9:42 am

I'm currently living in NJ just 1 hour from NYC. My husband is already working in SG, I'll be joining in July. Here is my take based on the local news we are getting in the states. The swine flu is increasing in cases daily. It is a "normal" flu as far as severity goes. So far everyone in the U.S. has survived and recovered. Medical experts say if you have a normal immune system your body will react the same way it would if you get the flu at any other time. The media has a way of spreading mass hysteria.

Good luck making your decision!

Mondia
Regular
Regular

Postby Mondia » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:39 am

Thanks, everyone. I spoke to some friends in NY who of course think its not a big issue (and frankly, so would I if I was living there - someone mentioned that living somewhere and travelling there are different things). One part of me is not worried at all having seen worse but the parent in me is always a little paranoid. Unfortunately, this trip has to be taken now for certain reasons.

One option I am considering is leaving my kids home with grandparents but boy that will not be easy - the kids will be fine but we will be complete wrecks!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:14 am

The biggest problem you will face and ultimately the one that will probably most affect your decision is the return flight from NY.

Why? At the moment, flights originating from Singapore and most of Asia in general are generally carrying mostly asian based flyers (albeit some will be enroute transfers as well but they would have had to enter Singapore first and would probably be picked up with the scanners already in place).

Once you are in NYC using common sense and precautions as warranted should keep you okay while there (of course this could change from day to day) but at the moment I'm looking at the in the "present" timeframe. The problem is, once you get on the return flight, the dangers are real because of the closed circulation used in the planes. As there will be mostly people who have been exposed (more or less) depending on their common sense, this will be the time when you & your family stand the easiest chance of picking up the bug if it manages to get on the plane. Additionally, it's been shown that travelers who cross more the 6 time zones have their biorhythms sufficiently thrown out of whack that their resistance levels will drop as well thereby allowing an even greater risk. You are talking about a 12-13 time change (I'm from Maryland so I've made the half-way 'round the globe flight numerous times over the past 26 years.

For you family, you may want to think twice about the trip and if there is a way to postpone it, I would suggest you give some serious thought to it.

sms

Mondia
Regular
Regular

Postby Mondia » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 4:06 pm

SMS and road.not.taken make valid points - the journey is the real issue here even if we can sensibly avoid exposure in NY. But the child's death in TX yesterday was too much. We're cancelling our trip. :(

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 4:09 pm

New York will still be there when you're ready to go :)