Singapore Expats Forum

Green Mangoes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Green Mangoes

Postby ozchick » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 7:21 pm

Having googled the subject of green mangoes- I'm still in the dark. Mm so maybe that's where these green mangoes should be? Anyone know?
I found them on the ground in our condo where they'd been lying after the big winds blew them down last week. They certainly are giving off a mango fragrance.....Maybe they're meant to be the 'green' type of mango...but they're very firm and I don't want to test them if they're more likely the 'other' type that I maybe have to ripen some way. Brown paper bags, dark cupboard...anyone know. If anyone can give me reliable information, I will repay them by giving them-

a detailed account of how yummy they were! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

vink
Regular
Regular

Postby vink » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:04 pm

Back at home, we used to wrap green mangoes in newspaper and bury them under rice inside the rice container. Somehow, after a few days the mangoes ripen. Maybe just eat the green mangoes as is (with either those plum powder served at fruit stalls or shrimp paste from the Philippines). You can also do a green mango salad with it. yummy!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:07 pm

lets put it this way, if the mangoes are yummy, they wont be any left on the trees. i have seen a few mangoes trees on the streets and no one bothers with them. they are not yummy and has lots of fiber/string. dont take my word for it, give it a try.

if you want yummy mangoes, best get the big green ones called "black gold" in a fruit stall or supermarket.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:42 am

Some local mango's are meant to be eaten whilst green and firm - Can find in Rojak and the likes.
Be Like Water

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks B, D AND V!
Yep- youre all right! They ARE ripe, they ARE a bit stringy and they're not as sweet as the 'other' type- a bit tangy in fact, BUT they're still not too bad and I've heard about that mango salad made from the green mangoes. Gonna go google a recipe now.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Tony71

Postby Tony71 » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 3:07 pm

I personally don't like green mango but this is probably a matter of taste. In my opinion they are bitter and don't taste as good as the classic mangos. But maybe they are good in a salad - since I'm really curious about it, I am gonna look for a recipe and try a salad.