Singapore Expats

Perhaps the best burger in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:22 am

pakjohn wrote: They only serve cheese burgers, there is no menu. When you sit down they bring you a cheeseburger and cottage fries, condiments are at each table. If you ask for a menu the guy will announce "No menu, only
cheeseburgers" in a thick armenian accent. They're really good though and served on home made buns. The couple have been there as long as I can remember and every one knows "No menu, only cheeseburger".

:lol:
Wow! That's the beauty of specialization: just work on one thing til you perfect it!

Pakjohn's original post made me curious about the Marmalade Pantry's burger. Once I'm back in SG, I'll go there and try it. :)

@pakjohn:
Just to clarify, were you referring to just the plain burger or the one with the foie gras?
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:48 am

Just to clarify, were you referring to just the plain burger or the one with the foie gras?
I didn't try the foie Gras burger so I can't comment on it. I had the regular burger and fries. The thing I liked about the burger is that it's just really good ground beef, not greasy, not fancy, just rich beef flavor.

The fries were pretty good and I hear the deserts are exceptional also, but cannot say as I didn't have desert.

I shouldn't be so hard on Carls, a lot of people eat them and in moderation they won't hurt you. :D Hope you enjoy Geekette!
Pakjohn

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Quasimodo » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:22 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
pakjohn wrote:I usually leave a thread, or neglect to join it, when one of the trolls jump in. They're really a bit predictable and boring. :lol: But every forum has them, like the touts on Orchard, annoying and comical.
Pakjohn, if you are referring to me as a troll, then please know that I find that extremely hurtful, disturbing and disappointing.
. . . road.not.taken a troll!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I can see Mrs Prim and Proper trolling . . . NOT!.

sierra, I fail to see how you can see any negatives, in terms of response, in rnt's post. Time to relax a little.

If anything the gristle and fat comment could, by the very thin-skinned, be seen as a bit aggro . . . no pain, no shame, no issue.

Fuddruckers during post-grad days . . . simply the best!

I'll stick with Carl's Jr. in Singapore, easily available and not too pricey.
One in the hand is worth two of something

gillypadi

Post by gillypadi » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 1:14 pm

......and the fact that it's the only "fast food burger joint" serving real BACON!

Came across Carl's Jr in KL. Did a skip there as we were having pork deficiency.... " No Babi la.. this one Halal one"

I have never seen grown men cry so much in public

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 1:21 pm

The "Jazz Burger" at Harry's isn't too bad. Pakjohn, how much is the burger at Marmalade?
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 1:57 pm

The "Jazz Burger" at Harry's isn't too bad. Pakjohn, how much is the burger at Marmalade?
I don't remember exactly, but I recall around 22 or 23 dollars. I pay 5 to 7 dollars for tea at most of the resturaunts around CBD so figure high cost goes with the neighborhood. :)
Pakjohn

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 2:00 pm

Came across Carl's Jr in KL. Did a skip there as we were having pork deficiency.... " No Babi la.. this one Halal one"
lol! Ran into a similar situation in Jakarta, BLT came with out bacon!
Pakjohn

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 5:09 pm

Quasimodo wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:
pakjohn wrote:I usually leave a thread, or neglect to join it, when one of the trolls jump in. They're really a bit predictable and boring. :lol: But every forum has them, like the touts on Orchard, annoying and comical.
Pakjohn, if you are referring to me as a troll, then please know that I find that extremely hurtful, disturbing and disappointing.
. . . road.not.taken a troll!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I can see Mrs Prim and Proper trolling . . . NOT!.

sierra, I fail to see how you can see any negatives, in terms of response, in rnt's post. Time to relax a little.

If anything the gristle and fat comment could, by the very thin-skinned, be seen as a bit aggro . . . no pain, no shame, no issue.

Fuddruckers during post-grad days . . . simply the best!

I'll stick with Carl's Jr. in Singapore, easily available and not too pricey.
Thank you Quasi, what you lack in looks you more than make up for in charm. :kiss: It is a bit laughable -- imagine me... a housebound troll! :roll:

Speaking of burgers, my son reminded me of Morton's prime sirloin burger:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 6:58 pm

Botak Jones

nuff said!

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:22 pm

pakjohn wrote:
lol! Ran into a similar situation in Jakarta, BLT came with out bacon!
oh pakjohn - did you never sample the BLT at the Jakarta Hard Rock? It was beef shaped like bacon... and the color of bacon.. but definitely not bacon! I was so psyched to see it on the menu and was like "what the????" when it came out :o

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 7:57 pm

It was beef shaped like bacon...
WTH?? Shaped like bacon? lmao! I'll be on the look out for that, actually haven't been to the one here. I did go to the one at Plaza Indo in Jakarta but had the chicken sandwich. Enak!
Pakjohn

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Post by cavalier » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:40 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Botak Jones

nuff said!
no way, i can't endorse a burger that is served on supermarket buns! :P

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Barczar » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 9:57 am

I've always been partial to a good ol' Cowboy burger from Brewerkz... figure it's about the best bang for your buck and consistently good and when ordered medium...it actually is medium! Besides, lots of good tasty cheap beer to go along with it! Will have to check out some of the other recommendations here...
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 2:30 pm

cavalier wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:Botak Jones

nuff said!
no way, i can't endorse a burger that is served on supermarket buns! :P

The bun is the least important part for me, as generally i don't eat the top half anyway.

sabs
Regular
Regular

Carls Jr

Post by sabs » Fri, 01 May 2009 3:47 pm

i LUV Western Bacon Cheesburger or DOUBLE !!!

YAMMI YAMMI - the best for me!