Singapore Expats Forum

Perhaps the best burger in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Perhaps the best burger in Singapore

Postby pakjohn » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 4:29 pm

I see threads occasionally asking for a really good hamburger, so here's my recommendation.

Just had the best burger I think I've ever had at Marmalade Pantry in the basement of Palais Renaissance, near Orchard Tower.

To top off finding a really good burger, the service was excellent as well.

Only downside to this place is minor and common, the "background" music was so loud you really had to talk loud to be heard across the table.
Pakjohn

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 7:32 am

Or how about that the jackassian pricing policy which allows for the Sticky Date Pudding 'to go' to cost $2 more than if you ate it in the restaurant, add another $2 for the ice cream for takeaway which comes with the dessert when you eat it on site. $4 more for a takeaway dessert... :roll:

When I ate beef the best burgers were American Club Union Bar and Carl's Jr.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:29 am

I'd agree with road.not.taken . . . when my self-imposed pesco-vegetarian streak breaks for a burger it has to be Carl's Jr.
One in the hand is worth two of something

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 4:45 pm

Or how about that the jackassian pricing policy which allows for the Sticky Date Pudding 'to go' to cost $2 more than if you ate it in the restaurant, add another $2 for the ice cream for takeaway which comes with the dessert when you eat it on site. $4 more for a takeaway dessert

I didn't mean my experience to be a validation of the whole menu. :roll:

American Club, sometimes good sometimes no. Carls (in my opinon) tastes just like the road kill served up hot and slick in U.S. fast food joints. Too much grease, gristle and steroids for my taste.
Pakjohn

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 8:31 pm

I didn't mean my experience to be a validation of the whole menu. :roll:

American Club, sometimes good sometimes no. Carls (in my opinon) tastes just like the road kill served up hot and slick in U.S. fast food joints. Too much grease, gristle and steroids for my taste.

Let's see... I mentioned one item. That's a total of... one. Not exactly the 'whole menu' so a double eye roll right back at you: :roll: :roll:

If Carl's isn't your deal, perhaps some ground organic wagyu from the butcher? I always thought the fat/grease from beef was where all the flavor came from, perhaps a contributing factor for why I gave it up?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 9:36 pm

Oh for <insert> sake!!! You take the cake, Road Not Taken. For once, just let someone state a piece of advice without flaming them. It would be quite refreshing.

PakJohn said it was just his opinion, which they qualified. But as usual there are some around here that just want to opionate for the sake of their own feeble attempts of self-grandeur in a forum! It's sad. Very very sad.

If you gave up beef, then why come back with such comments as grounding up Wagyu?

Oh, you mentioned two items, actually. Cake and Ice Cream.

I fear the wrath of some religious icon for mentioning a good cheese shop, or a nice wine. Or will this have to go through some form of your own personal approval first? I suspect not, as you'll just flame me anyway.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 5:38 am

Oh for <insert> sake!!! You take the cake, Road Not Taken. For once, just let someone state a piece of advice without flaming them. It would be quite refreshing.

Tks Sierra.. I know there's a bench full of 5 or 6 housebound people eagerly waiting for a new post so they can react to it, often negatively.

I usually leave a thread, or neglect to join it, when one of the trolls jump in. They're really a bit predictable and boring. :lol: But every forum has them, like the touts on Orchard, annoying and comical.
Pakjohn

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 6:42 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:Oh for <insert> sake!!! You take the cake, Road Not Taken. For once, just let someone state a piece of advice without flaming them. It would be quite refreshing.

PakJohn said it was just his opinion, which they qualified. But as usual there are some around here that just want to opionate for the sake of their own feeble attempts of self-grandeur in a forum! It's sad. Very very sad.

If you gave up beef, then why come back with such comments as grounding up Wagyu?

Oh, you mentioned two items, actually. Cake and Ice Cream.

I fear the wrath of some religious icon for mentioning a good cheese shop, or a nice wine. Or will this have to go through some form of your own personal approval first? I suspect not, as you'll just flame me anyway.

Here we go again.... :roll:

Sierra, stop projecting your bad day or your neuroses or whatever it is -- on me. Flaming? Are you serious? Man, get some perspective, will you?

I posted nothing at all negative about pakjohn's opinion. Nothing. I even offered up one of my own. Yes, I gave anacdotal information about Marmalade Cafe (the Sticky Date Pudding is one menu item, it comes with ice cream, it is one item), so what?

Here's a newsflash for you: his initial post implied that he was open to comments and opinions. So yes! Big, giant surprise! Some people offered them.

I think a suggestion to get fresh Wagyu from the butcher and have it ground to avoid the 'grease, gristle and steroids' is a sound one and something I have done myself. I came back with 'such comments' about Wagyu because it was a good suggestion -- nothing more.

I don't know why you assign such negative tones in people's posts, but it dilutes your message.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 6:44 am

pakjohn wrote:I usually leave a thread, or neglect to join it, when one of the trolls jump in. They're really a bit predictable and boring. :lol: But every forum has them, like the touts on Orchard, annoying and comical.

Pakjohn, if you are referring to me as a troll, then please know that I find that extremely hurtful, disturbing and disappointing.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:03 am

Just back to the burger.... I swear the best, best, best burger can be your own: lean mince, tons of lee & perrins, garlic powder and (secret ingredient) Liptons Mushroom & Onion soup mix. Make your patties during the day so all the flavors marinate and fry/grill up at night. I'm not a meat eater by preference... but can never pass up one of these burgers!

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:10 am

cbavasi wrote:Just back to the burger.... I swear the best, best, best burger can be your own: lean mince, tons of lee & perrins, garlic powder and (secret ingredient) Liptons Mushroom & Onion soup mix. Make your patties during the day so all the flavors marinate and fry/grill up at night. I'm not a meat eater by preference... but can never pass up one of these burgers!

I make a stuffed blue cheese with carmelized onion burger that curls your toes. Agree, the best can be made at home - but for me the burger was always an excuse to eat the fries.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:13 am

road.not.taken wrote:
cbavasi wrote:Just back to the burger.... I swear the best, best, best burger can be your own: lean mince, tons of lee & perrins, garlic powder and (secret ingredient) Liptons Mushroom & Onion soup mix. Make your patties during the day so all the flavors marinate and fry/grill up at night. I'm not a meat eater by preference... but can never pass up one of these burgers!

I make a stuffed blue cheese with carmelized onion burger that curls your toes. Agree, the best can be made at home - but for me the burger was always an excuse to eat the fries.

Ok... it's only 8am and I'm already salivating over a burger! :D

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:17 am

cbavasi wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:

Ok... it's only 8am and I'm already salivating over a burger! :D

and fries... :)

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:21 am

Just back to the burger.... I swear the best, best, best burger can be your own: lean mince, tons of lee & perrins, garlic powder and (secret ingredient) Liptons Mushroom & Onion soup mix. Make your patties during the day so all the flavors marinate and fry/grill up at night. I'm not a meat eater by preference... but can never pass up one of these burgers!

I prefer chicken and fish most of the time too, but agree once in a while there's nothing like a good burger. I'll try the recipe, sounds great!

My best burger ever is only partly due to the burger. There's a small mom and pop place in Atlanta, Georgia operated by an older Armenian couple. They only serve cheese burgers, there is no menu. When you sit down they bring you a cheeseburger and cottage fries, condiments are at each table. If you ask for a menu the guy will announce "No menu, only
cheeseburgers" in a thick armenian accent. They're really good though and served on home made buns. The couple have been there as long as I can remember and every one knows "No menu, only cheeseburger".

:lol:
Pakjohn

gillypadi

Postby gillypadi » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:11 am

To cure my Hangovers: Carl's Jr and McDonalds (can already hear the groans)

Best I've tasted: Marriott Crossroad Burger.