Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore: what to bring?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Alexei

Moving to Singapore: what to bring?

Post by Alexei » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:56 pm

Dear all,

I'm moving with my wife from New York to Singapore early June and we are currently deciding on what to bring there. Meaning what electronics device will or will not work there. Sorry if some questions seem "stupid" but I'm definitely not a geek...

- US Sony HD TV LCD: I verified behind the TV = 120-240V & 50-60Hz. It should work in Singapore with a plug adaptor. Correct? Is HD feature going to work too?

- US Wii: do I only need a plus adaptor? A converter? I can't verify if it's 110-240V... I'm also aware that only US games will work. Correct?

- Bose speakers: it's written "US device 120V only". Will it work in SG with adaptor and converter?

- Macbook (last generation): 110-240V. Should work wit a plug adaptor only?

- I-Home?

- Printer 110-240V?

- Nespresso Machine: Specifications say:"110-127V, 60Hz ; 220-240V, 50Hz"

- IPhone: blocked AT&T... Can I unlock it in Singapore in a store? or any other advice?

- Bathroom device such as hair dryer: should we buy that in SG?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Alex

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:26 am

- US Sony HD TV LCD: I verified behind the TV = 120-240V & 50-60Hz. It should work in Singapore with a plug adaptor. Correct? Is HD feature going to work too?

US is NTSC, singapore is PAL. wont work.

- US Wii: do I only need a plus adaptor? A converter? I can't verify if it's 110-240V... I'm also aware that only US games will work. Correct?

if only 110v, then you can get a step-down transformer. see below too.

- Bose speakers: it's written "US device 120V only". Will it work in SG with adaptor and converter?

yes, will work but do you want them to be plugged in 24/7 on a step-down transformer? step-down transformer are not very "green".

- Macbook (last generation): 110-240V. Should work wit a plug adaptor only?

yes.

- I-Home?

what's the rating?

- Printer 110-240V?

yes.

- Nespresso Machine: Specifications say:"110-127V, 60Hz ; 220-240V, 50Hz"

yes.

- IPhone: blocked AT&T... Can I unlock it in Singapore in a store? or any other advice?

you cant get it unblock in singapore unless you are thinking of jailbreaking it. contact AT&T if they will unblock it for you.

- Bathroom device such as hair dryer: should we buy that in SG?

yes.

Alexei

Post by Alexei » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 1:45 am

Thanks for your quick feedback Durain.

I have 2 additional questions:

- can I find a PAL/NTSC converter? Will HD feature work? Or should I stop figuring out a solution, sell my TV and buy a new one in SG that handles both NTSC and PAL?

- My wii is only 110V. You're talking about a step down transformer. What about universal Wii power adaptor that handles 110 to 240V?

Thanks again for your help!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 7:00 pm

- can I find a PAL/NTSC converter? Will HD feature work? Or should I stop figuring out a solution, sell my TV and buy a new one in SG that handles both NTSC and PAL?

i am a bit out of touch on AV stuff. as far as i know, there's no convertor for PAL/SECAM/NTSC. there are multi-system TV that will take all but i dont know if modern TV has that built-in now. a TV in singapore is not going to cost you an arm and a leg so probably best to buy one locally.

- My wii is only 110V. You're talking about a step down transformer. What about universal Wii power adaptor that handles 110 to 240V?

if a universal PSU will handle the wii power requirement, then that's fine. a step-down transformer is only good for temp stuff like charging battery, etc. and not for continue use.

Alexei

Post by Alexei » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks for all you advice Durain!
I'll go across the forum to figure out where to buy a TV in Singapore.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:05 pm

as a rough guide, goto http://www.audiohouse.com.sg/index.aspx ... _promotion to check for prices.

Tammy138
Regular
Regular

Post by Tammy138 » Mon, 18 May 2009 3:15 am

Durain....I am moving to Singapore from the UK. Are the electronic the same as Singapore? I.e. no conversion needed?

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Mon, 18 May 2009 4:23 pm

Tammy138 wrote:Durain....I am moving to Singapore from the UK. Are the electronic the same as Singapore? I.e. no conversion needed?
Plugs and watts the same as the UK. I just brought everything of mine and plugged it in and switched it on. Its as simple as that. But I did not bring a TV......
Last edited by Zeenit on Mon, 18 May 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeenit

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 18 May 2009 4:35 pm

yep, even TV will work as is it using the same PAL system.

Tammy138
Regular
Regular

Post by Tammy138 » Mon, 18 May 2009 4:55 pm

Great! thank you! Is it better to buy the TV over there? Or should I ship?

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Mon, 18 May 2009 4:59 pm

Tammy138 wrote:Great! thank you! Is it better to buy the TV over there? Or should I ship?
I would check with your shippers because most would not ship Plasma Tvs. And all the new condos are small so think about the space. But first check!
Last edited by Zeenit on Tue, 19 May 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeenit

Tammy138
Regular
Regular

Post by Tammy138 » Tue, 19 May 2009 4:52 am

Thanks Zeenit. Think I will just get a TV in SG as I have no clue how big/small my apartment will be.

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular

Post by AngMoKio » Tue, 19 May 2009 7:21 pm

Yes, it can be unlocked (or allowed to work with a 'universal sim')

The Wii can be unlocked here to play local games. I am not entirely sure how legal this service is but it is common. Please be aware that piracy is illegal and not tolerated in singapore.... but unlocked DVD players are, so I am not sure what category this falls under.

Alexei

Post by Alexei » Mon, 01 Jun 2009 11:32 pm

Thanks AngMoKio!
Sorry for the late reply but we're moving tomorrow... so a lot of things to think of!

For your information I had a really interesting conversation with AT&T: to be short they are not able to give the pin codes to unlock the i-phone. The US is the only country where monopoly seems to be accepted... However you can negotiate not to pay the termination fees if you can prove you're moving to a country where you can't use AT&T.

Last question: do you know where I could unlock my i-phone? a reliable store?

Thanks in advance!

NarDd

Post by NarDd » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 2:37 am

just go to a place call Sim Lim Square.

When IPhone came out that was the place that had led singapore to join in the craze.. of course that was illegal as during that time singapore wasn't suppose to have it yet.
not sure of which shop is more reliable but well be sure to check how much they are charging you for unblocking it as that place has well.. quite a bad rep .. but I would say only certain shops just to rip customers off so be sure to double check the prices at all stores =D
good luck with that