Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore: what to bring?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Pripps

Post by Pripps » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:17 am

some of the newer TV sets can handle both PAL and NTSC, check on Sony's website for your particular model.

Alexei

Post by Alexei » Sat, 27 Jun 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks!
I've been to Sim Lim Square and found this place very tricky. You definitely have to know what you want.
Maybe you guys can help me because I had at least 3 different answers regarding my US IPhone that I want to unlock:
- One retailer told me that he could unlock my Iphone for SGD50.
- Another one asked for SGD80 with software included. Is it normally not included? Will the software I currently have be erased?
- The last one told me that he needs to unlock the iphone and add a special sim card (ultra thin). But he said that an additional Singtel simcard will break it and so he wouldn't do it for someone using the Iphone in Singapore...

Very confusing! Could you please tell me what is the right question to ask? And if you know the answer it would help me.

Thanks!

liddymouse

Post by liddymouse » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:35 am

Hi, can you tell me what happenned with your iPhone please as I have brought mine with me from the UK and would like to get it transferred to a network here.
Thanks

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 02 Oct 2010 3:42 pm

liddymouse wrote:Hi, can you tell me what happenned with your iPhone please as I have brought mine with me from the UK and would like to get it transferred to a network here.
Thanks
you need to unlock your iPhone in the UK then just pop any local SIM into it.

Chey10

Post by Chey10 » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:33 pm

alexei -- I have a converter from USA which i brought it with me if you need it do let me know PM me...

Chris 525

Post by Chris 525 » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 3:14 pm

That is the worst advice to give to a person coming to Singapore for the 1st time., especially for the Ang Moh clan.

For a fresh out of the oven Ang Moh, I would recommend places like Best Denki, Harvey Norman or Gain City. At least the prices are indicated clearly.

Only venture to Sim Lim when you know exactly what you want and how much it retails for.

And here they give out a warranty card with your purchased item. Which you must complete and post. Cos when you newly purchased item goes wrong, you have to take it to the service centre and not the shop where you got it.

NarDd wrote:just go to a place call Sim Lim Square.

When IPhone came out that was the place that had led singapore to join in the craze.. of course that was illegal as during that time singapore wasn't suppose to have it yet.
not sure of which shop is more reliable but well be sure to check how much they are charging you for unblocking it as that place has well.. quite a bad rep .. but I would say only certain shops just to rip customers off so be sure to double check the prices at all stores =D
good luck with that

Chris 525

Post by Chris 525 » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 3:19 pm

If you are coming to Singapore for a short time, then bring electronic items that are battery powered (camera, phone, notebook, etc) And keep your larger items in storage in you home country.

If you are coming for a long period, then sell all you electronic items away and start from fresh.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 11:36 pm

Chris 525 wrote:If you are coming to Singapore for a short time, then bring electronic items that are battery powered (camera, phone, notebook, etc) And keep your larger items in storage in you home country.

If you are coming for a long period, then sell all you electronic items away and start from fresh.
why the hell are you replying to a "just about to move" post from 18 months ago ???? Muppet

Chris 525

Post by Chris 525 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:40 am

bigfilsing wrote:
Chris 525 wrote:If you are coming to Singapore for a short time, then bring electronic items that are battery powered (camera, phone, notebook, etc) And keep your larger items in storage in you home country.

why the hell are you replying to a "just about to move" post from 18 months ago ???? Muppet
Why not