Singapore Expats

interior designer from dubai

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
chrisalix

interior designer from dubai

Post by chrisalix » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 7:11 pm

Hi there,

My name is Chris, an architect specialize in interior design.

I've been working in this field here in Dubai UAE for about 4yrs now and I'm planning to transfer and seek job in SG.

I would like to ask the the job oppurtunities and as well the basic salary bracket for my profession.

Im earning bout 3500sd now, can I also expect of the same range?

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 7:54 pm

There aint no jobs. Singapore is going through the worst recession ever. Expats are being sent home at an ever increasing rate. Headhunters are laying off the hunters of heads at an ever increasing rate. Job listings have dropped through the floor. Rental prices are dropping. Those developers who bought en bloc are up sh*t creek... bought the property at a high... now can't sell... witness the development in my neighborhood... 59 units... 9 sold... maybe... and not much hope for the future.

Bottom line: You can try but it is ugly... the people with the money are being moved out... and the people with the money that are staying are pulling their horns in.

Try again in 2 to 3 years.

chrisalix

Post by chrisalix » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 1:50 am

geez, sounds really bad.. thanks for the infos!

chrisalix

Post by chrisalix » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 1:57 am

Hi,

Any architect/interior designer on this forum? I would also appreciate to hear from you.. a second opinion (so to speak).

Thanks a lot!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 1:24 pm

Most of 'em ran out of money and already went home.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 4:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most of 'em ran out of money and already went home.
Hmm, not entirely. A large regional ID business just hired an additional interior designer and another architect, and two of the competitors are looking for other high quality ID people.

I happen to know because my partner hired them.

While roles are scarce, the "dowturn" ;) means that organisations are looking at their current office space and (the smart ones) are using it as an opportunity to truly understand their floorspace utilisation and re-design as they downsize.

So Chrisalix - suggest you look to the top tier firms (hint: top tier firms!) and get in contact with them. As always, and as SMS has often alluded to here in these parts, experience is the thing that will help most.

HTH, Mr. P

cafecafe

Post by cafecafe » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 3:31 pm

DP Architects of Dubai has huge projects in Singapore. Google them and try your luck with them.