Singapore Expats Forum

Bottle gas valve information needed!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

MartinK

Bottle gas valve information needed!

Postby MartinK » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:13 am

I hope someone in this forum can help. In June we will be bringing our show to Singapore and as some of our effects use bottled Propane and Nitrogen we need to know what sort of connections cylinders for these gasses use in Singapore? particularly we need the thread details. Are the fittings by any chance the same as those used in Australia? we performed the same show there a few years ago and so have Australian fittings available. Also most of our equipment uses either 1/4"BSP or 3/8"BSP, does anyone happen to know if you use BSP or NPT threads for pipework ?

If anyone can send me a good quality close up (preferably with a ruler in shot for scale) of a propane cylinder connector as used on some BBQ's I would be eternally grateful.

Regards.
Martin King.

edited by moderator to remove self-serving non-essential information not deemed necessary for the question being asked. :wink: In other words, advertising has been removed.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 2:35 am

excuse me being cynical but baring in mind you apprently have the gig one would have thought you'd done your research ...you know having costed it up and all!!!

Tic tok tic tok

Threads are an international norm ..always have been and ( i dare to say ...at least in my life time) always will be .

Good luck with the leaks :???:

MartinK

Postby MartinK » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 3:35 am

bigfilsing wrote:excuse me being cynical but baring in mind you apprently have the gig one would have thought you'd done your research ...you know having costed it up and all!!!

In an ideal world yes this detail would have been sorted out during the original site visit but have you every tried organising a large live event particularly one overseas? everything from Power, toilets, security, first aid, lifting equipment down to food and water for the crew have to be organised, things occasionally get overlooked, it's the nature of the business.

Threads are an international norm ..always have been and ( i dare to say ...at least in my life time) always will be .

Threads are standardised yes, but cylinders around the world use different ones, e.g. UK use BSP, US use NPT. Threads can even be so similar that they will fit one way but not the other (Some NPT male threads will fit BSP female threads but not vice versa due to the thread form even though the pitch and diameter is the same)

Leaks

I'm sure there will be some but we have spanners.

MartinK

Postby MartinK » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 4:11 am

MartinK wrote: down to food and water for the crew

Just to point out that "down to" makes it sound un-important, of course food and water (and beer after :P) for the crew is the most important thing on a gig :D I was referring to the cost and ease of organising.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 8:15 am

I've never seen a spammer ask about propane info.... lol!

I'd recommend you call Union LPG and ask all your questions at once.
Might be handy to have a local LPG rep on call if you have a problem anyway.

Union LPG
65 9238 3357

I'm surprised your event organizer in Singapore didn't have this info available? They usually offer a line card detailing these sort of things.
Pakjohn

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 8:58 am

bigfilsing wrote:
Tic tok tic tok

Good luck with the leaks :???:

will agree on the tic....toc....tic.....

But you apparently have never worked on a drilling rig before. There are a plethora of fittings and as a commercial diver, even bottle fittings between SCUBA tank manufacturers and various bottled gases are different depending on whether they are NPT, SAE, BSP or JIC. So while he was using his message to self-serve (the hyperlink wasn't necessary) the question is a valid one especially in Singapore where often we have a multitude of types of fittings due to being imported from Aus/UK or US or for that matter Eastern Europe or within Asia itself.

MartinK

Postby MartinK » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 3:59 am

will agree on the tic....toc....tic.....

Again nature of the business, gigs are usually booked short notice and the contract for this one was only signed 2 weeks ago!

So while he was using his message to self-serve (the hyperlink wasn't necessary)

Sorry that honestly wasn't my intention, it was intended to show that it was a serious enquiry from a company that knows what it's doing, I've asked techy type questions in the past on other forums (particularly involving Gas or Pyro) without posting any credentials and nearly always got the sort of "Oh my god you're going to kill yourself" type answers :( So I generally post a link to the site to show that we are experienced in this sort of thing! It also wasn't meant as a commercial thing, we get paid the same regardless of how many people turn up!, as I said it's a free show anyone can come to (although there are limits to the number of people that can safely fit on the site)

I've never been called a spammer before :( If my original post is going to cause problems then please delete it and I'll never bother you again.

BTW I have Emailed several companies and am still awaiting replies, I thought I'd try here to cover all bases as it were.

Sorry.

Martin.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 7:13 am

Martin, if I though for a moment that you were a real spammer we wouldn't be having this message as I would have summarily deleted the post without further ado. I realized that it was a valid question so deleted the "advertising" bit (we are very strict on advertising and sometimes it does get hard to draw the line as some of the newer breed of spammers are very creative. I use an IP check as well to see just were you are posting from to gauge as well. So, in order to keep from having other come and saying "well he posted HIS link, why can't I?" I just modified your post to ask the question.

Fair enough?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 1:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Martin, if I though for a moment that you were a real spammer we wouldn't be having this message as I would have summarily deleted the post without further ado. I realized that it was a valid question so deleted the "advertising" bit (we are very strict on advertising and sometimes it does get hard to draw the line as some of the newer breed of spammers are very creative. I use an IP check as well to see just were you are posting from to gauge as well. So, in order to keep from having other come and saying "well he posted HIS link, why can't I?" I just modified your post to ask the question.

Fair enough?

Ah the power crazy SMS lets loose :D Censorhip! such a relative concept :) And so when we suspect evil doing do we project a beam the shape of an alarm clock into the sky..

You do realise Batman had long term neck skelital problems from continually staring upwards ....how's your keyboard SMS 8-)

MartinK

Postby MartinK » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 3:49 am

Hm! for a board that's so anti-advert it's a bit ironic that I've just received this in my inbox! :-

From admin@singaporeexpats.com
To m*****@*******.co.uk
CC
Subject [ADV] Registration Open! Summer School 2009 in June

As I'm beginning to regret signing up to your forum and asking (what I thought) was a simple question, and have no desire to be spammed with unwanted Emails please delete my account and don't send me any more EMails. BTW I have found the info I required elsewhere so I doubt I'll need to bother you again.

Regards.
Martin.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:50 am

Strange...i've been hanging around here for many years and never had any such mail.

As for the anti advert cynics ( me included) please excuse the moderators. This forum unfortunatly gets bombed with all kinds of BS.

DO you mind sharing the info source. I'm always on the look out for engineering related info.

Cheers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:58 am

Well I also have the same email from admin......Maybe I have mistakenly signed up for it. :oops: But i do get them now and again, this isn't the fist.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 6:56 pm

MartinK wrote:...have no desire to be spammed with unwanted Emails please delete my account and don't send me any more EMails. BTW I have found the info I required elsewhere so I doubt I'll need to bother you again....

Yeh, great result, not.

Instead of a pleasant outcome for the guest, he leaves with a bad taste in his mouth about the site and the great work by some here. Not to mention that some of us already here, or those coming to Singapore, may have actually been interested in the outcome.

Some us remember it's easier to keep Clients than get new ones - Well, those of us who run and own businesses. There's a lesson here : Truculence is not the path to valour.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:29 am

P.,

That often happens when people post in the wee hours of the morning after being on the plonk for a while (not me, I haven't had a drink since my Anniversary last Sept). When a regular's posts don't quite read normally I usually look at the datestamp to see what time they posted. (bigfilsing's post was around 2:30 a.m.) Unfortunately, Martin probably didn't understand bigfilsing's refrence to my well know ticking of the clock on "suspect" posters and he shot from the hip before I saw the post. Then his comment on my penchant for keeping the board clean was also misinterpreted by Martin as well even though I explained why I removed his company link from the message. It was unfortunate, however, that Admin picked that time to e-blast an email advert to all as they occasionally do (bet I've only received a max of maybe 3 a year if that many).

So yeah, occasionally, when newbies join a forum without reading stickies, faqs, and some of the threads in general to get a feel of a board, then there will be the occasional misunderstandings. Guess that's why we put those stickies at the tops of the forums.

Oh, yeah, I'd agree with you about keeping clients - if we're talking about brick & mortar businesses. But a forum? Nah, it's easier to get new ones - providing you are a public board like this one is. A niche board like you have/had is another story as I'm an Admin on a Niche board in Australia and yeah, it can hurt you there.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:46 am

Yep definately fair call there SMS. And yes, the timing of the e-mail ADV was most unfortunate! Have a good one, Mr. P