Singapore Expats Forum

Application for Singapore Citizenship Overseas

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

rttv

Application for Singapore Citizenship Overseas

Postby rttv » Mon, 20 Apr 2009 9:25 am

Hello, I am 2 year plus SPR contemplating applying for Singapore citizenship - My dilemma is that since applying and becoming a PR, my company has posted me to Jakarta ( I am not an Indonesian) and even though I draw Singapore salary, pay singapore tax and CPF contributions- being single have no home or ties in Singapore and have stayed less than a year in Singapore. What are the chances of this application being rejected? Please help me out guys who have any similar experiences or have some inputs!
Cheers,
RT

jpatokal

Re: Application for Singapore Citizenship Overseas

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 5:20 pm

rttv wrote:Hello, I am 2 year plus SPR contemplating applying for Singapore citizenship - My dilemma is that since applying and becoming a PR, my company has posted me to Jakarta ( I am not an Indonesian) and even though I draw Singapore salary, pay singapore tax and CPF contributions- being single have no home or ties in Singapore and have stayed less than a year in Singapore.

As long as you have some registered address in Sg (do you?), the fact that you have "no home or ties" is not going to show up in the Government's computers. (I received my application to apply for citizenship while 99% away from the country for 1.5 years.)

There's a lot less data here about how many citizenship applications succeed, because not that many expats choose that option. My gut feeling, though, would be that if you've been PR for over two years and are still earning a steady salary, then it's worth a shot.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague