Singapore Expats

Best Online Auction website?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
blondi

Best Online Auction website?

Post by blondi » Fri, 17 Apr 2009 4:56 pm

In Australia and the UK, Ebay is really popular and everyone seems to use it to buy and sell new and used goods.

From what I've seen Ebay in Singapore isn't very popular at all... do Singaporeans/Expats just not really use online auction sites?

I want to sell some second hand goods, and buy reasonably priced artwork via online auctions. I've already tried selling items on Ebay here, with no interest.

Are there other good auctions sites people can recommend, that have many items for sale?

Cheers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 17 Apr 2009 5:11 pm

ebay is not popular in singapore as you have found out. you are better off selling it via classified (online or newspaper) or poster in supermarket.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 17 Apr 2009 6:24 pm

Most of the locals do not understand the concept of auctions. When I list items on ebay at at starting bid of $1 for a dvd player, I get mugs calling up saying they will come over and pick it up straight away and give me a dollar.

So when locals list items its not as an auction but at the starting price of pretty much the retail cost and wonder why no one buys things.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:09 am

QRM wrote:Most of the locals do not understand the concept of auctions. When I list items on ebay at at starting bid of $1 for a dvd player, I get mugs calling up saying they will come over and pick it up straight away and give me a dollar.

So when locals list items its not as an auction but at the starting price of pretty much the retail cost and wonder why no one buys things.
And if you do close an auction with a "winning" bid, the buyer will then come ask for a discount.

Jens

Post by Jens » Sun, 19 Apr 2009 4:40 pm

...and if you think, then just don't put 1$ auction, let's start with let's say 50 bucks for an item you wanna get around 80 and put a buy-it-now price of 90, then you'll get messages like " Can let go at 50?" and to add on, 90% is done via sms.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sun, 19 Apr 2009 6:25 pm

Jens wrote:...and if you think, then just don't put 1$ auction, let's start with let's say 50 bucks for an item you wanna get around 80 and put a buy-it-now price of 90, then you'll get messages like " Can let go at 50?" and to add on, 90% is done via sms.
See what I mean no idea what an auction is about, is Jens Singaporean?

Jens then dont you think, by doing that you totally miss the point of an auction, which for a buyer you could get a great bargain if no or a few bids are placed, then yes you can pick up a DVD player for $1, and for a seller you can get buyers in a bidding frenzy so you can sell items for more than you paid for it.

By coming onto a public forum and suggest doing it by SMS, which means you really have no concept of a gentleman agreement. Ebay did after all find a buyer for you and you are cheating ebay out of their fees.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Apr 2009 7:02 pm

Throw Jens back into the sea. That's where clueless sotong belong. That's also why eBay has one system world-wide but have a totally different set of costing measures for Singapore. I hate putting stuff up here due to the lack of knowlege of what an auction really is. (Although occasionally you do have some here who do understand the system - I had a successful sale this morning and a pickup & payment without any "discounts" and the buyer WAS a local. Course, mine was a buy now transaction only. So maybe there's still hope for some of them. Have managed the occasional Aution sale though but you have to use the local method of starting at your reserve price as that's all they understand. :cry:

I've had 'em come for a pickup and cancelled the sale without discussion when they arrive and ask for discount. Point blank I just send them away.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Miss Swan » Tue, 21 Apr 2009 4:36 pm

To answer the original poster's question, Yahoo Auctions was THE best online marketplace, unfortunately it got closed down.

Not sure why no one's using eBay but one theory is that it's not as user-friendly as Yahoo Auctions.

Singapore never had a culture for auctions, so it's no wonder no one catches on the real concept behind it. Singaporeans are value-for-money people. If you place $1 as your starting bid, Singaporeans will lap it up like bees to honey. They think "Why pay more if the buyer is willing to accept $1"? They take the whole bidding thing very straightforward - which is why Jens suggested to put a reasonably low starting bid (instead of a dollar).

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 9:49 pm

there are a few auction sites out there (disclaimer: i run one). they tend to be skewed towards fixed price offerings and there isn't a big second hand market.

however if you look long enough you can usually find a few choice offerings

checkout:

http://www.cannla.com
http://www.chupr.com.sg
http://sg.auctions.buystation.com
http://www.gmarket.com

as mentioned singaporeans are still getting the hang of the auctioning process but you can still buy and sell. :)