Singapore Expats Forum

Mail / FedEx

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

tomcat1

Mail / FedEx

Postby tomcat1 » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:23 pm

My family has sent two packages to me in the past two weeks and I haven't received either one. One was sent via US Mail and said it would arrive in 7 business days. The other was sent FedEx and it should have been here by today...

Do they deliver packages to your door if you live in a condo or do they leave a note to pick up the packages at the ??? I don't even know what the mail system is called here..?? I'm guessing Singapore Post Office?

Anyway, any advice on this would be appreciated. I don't have the tracking numbers as of yet, but that of course is the next step. I was just curious what the standard mode of Delivery was for packages, etc..

Thank You!

cavalier
Regular
Regular

Postby cavalier » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:39 pm

The last 2 packages I was expecting from the US weren't delivered until I called the post office (one by USPS, the other was an Amazon package that came by Royal Post, don't know what that is exactly). I think the packages arrived relatively quickly but then sat in some blackhole waiting to be delivered. In both cases, they were delivered within a day after I called.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:03 am

I get packages on a regular basis and they always come via a different service, couriers, the mailman, you name it I get them, and thats even when i am ordering from the same company time and time again.

I suspect that it gets parceled out (no pun intended) to the lowest bidder for the job or something like that as I have had packages disappear, arrive months late, occasionally not at all and on the odd time quickly.

Its something to do with Singapore mail and delivery systems, there is a back hole and your package can sit in it for a long time, I found this out after tracking one of them down after 3 months waiting, the punchline is that just coz it comes from the US via UPS doesnt mean it gets deliverd by UPS here, no its a crap shoot and you dont win.

My advice is either get it sent registered mail or make very sure how its getting here or you may never get it.
Poking, poking everywhere...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:26 pm

Unlike the USPS, when Singapore privatized SingPost, it when straight to hell. The USPS on the other hand, is still government controlled and is still crap. I had a package going to Maryland that sat in some small town in Minnesota for 3 months early last year. Another time it one coming this way from Maryland somehow got stalled in Phoenix Arizona!?!

It's all a crap shoot.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unlike the USPS, when Singapore privatized SingPost, it when straight to hell. The USPS on the other hand, is still government controlled and is still crap. I had a package going to Maryland that sat in some small town in Minnesota for 3 months early last year. Another time it one coming this way from Maryland somehow got stalled in Phoenix Arizona!?!

It's all a crap shoot.

Must be my male menopause day but if Singpost went straight to hell it didnt have far to go did it, its always hot here. :mad:
Poking, poking everywhere...

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Thu, 16 Apr 2009 1:25 pm

I had a similar problem until I finally found out the delivery men couldn't tell from my address which tower to go to. (There's a name plate at the mailbox area that tells, they just never noticed it.) I discovered this when the postman showed up at the mailbox and complained people never put the tower number on the address and he didn't want to walk all over.

Anyway, I put the tower number on my address from there on out and have gotten every package since. :) Otherwise, you just go to whatever carrier you use and have them research the shipment.

If you do find the package via shipping number, ask to see delivery notes to see if they even tried to deliver.
Pakjohn

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Re: Mail / FedEx

Postby TennoHekka » Wed, 20 May 2009 1:20 am

tomcat1 wrote:My family has sent two packages to me in the past two weeks and I haven't received either one. One was sent via US Mail and said it would arrive in 7 business days. The other was sent FedEx and it should have been here by today...

Do they deliver packages to your door if you live in a condo or do they leave a note to pick up the packages at the ??? I don't even know what the mail system is called here..?? I'm guessing Singapore Post Office?

Anyway, any advice on this would be appreciated. I don't have the tracking numbers as of yet, but that of course is the next step. I was just curious what the standard mode of Delivery was for packages, etc..

Thank You!

Call singpost for the USPS package, while you can track your fedex package with the airway bill tracking number, and that can be done online as well.