Singapore Expats Forum

Maintenance of a Water feature

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Davadango

Maintenance of a Water feature

Postby Davadango » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 1:48 pm

I'm thinking of buying a water feature (Indoor Waterfall) but have only little time to maintain this feature. Does anyone know how much time I have to spend to keep it clean? Are there any difficulties to be expected?

Thanks a lot!

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 4:42 pm

<sigh> too bad some domains can't be blocked. I figure there's a 60 percent chance this is spam?

Just on the odd chance it isn"t; put a 1/2 teaspoon of bleach in the water and you're good for a month. Or... you can use a lesser amount of hydrosodium flouride in it and you're good for a year.
Pakjohn

Davadango

Postby Davadango » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Pakjohn

Thanks a lot for your appreciated advise.
By the way, it was not a spam :) .

Cheers,
Davadango

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 6:18 pm

Pakjohn, I thought so as well, when he first posted but it's a legit one. Course in the old days it used to be how to keep the algae out of the water bed (back in the 70's before I came here). :wink:

Davadango

Postby Davadango » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 6:38 pm

Sundaymorningstaple, what does that mean? Is this way of keeping a water feature clean mentioned by Pakjohn not correct or old fashioned?
Are there better methods available?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:30 pm

No, they bleach method is the tried and true tested method but it does need to be changed regularly. Pakjohn's advice is spot on. The chlorine (bleach) method has been around since I was in my 20's and sloshing around on a kingsize H2O bed (my was before partitioned tubes became the norm). I would suggest that if you tend to turn off your feature when away from home for extended periods (couple of day or more) you get some BTI crystals or donut to put into the feature. (that or empty and dry the unit) as it wont take vary long to start breeding mosquitos. Same goes with a toilet. The lid should be sealed so that mosquitoes cannot lay their eggs in the still water.

Davadango

Postby Davadango » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 5:40 am

Ok. Thanks a lot to both of you. :D

Davadango