Singapore Expats Forum

Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh by boat - any advice?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh by boat - any advice?

Postby gonzales » Sat, 11 Apr 2009 6:11 pm

Hi folks,
I intend to travel with My Wife & Son from HCM to PP in early May by Boat up the Mekong, has anyone on here done this trip?

I am looking for advise on Border crossing, trip duration, recommended operators or any other info you might have, this is one trip where I 'm not worried about cost as everything seems to be next to free in this countrys.

Also before we leave HCM we want a recommendation for a good hotel, by good I mean good for a family not really looking at budget here, willing to spend on accomadation no problem, similarly for PP recommendations for good hotels would be appreciated.

Did anyone get any extra shots for these countries??

thanks all for your input...

Gonzales

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:49 am

Virus Shots, and the awareness of travelling on over crowded boats is a must, just in case of any safety issues, because you can almost guarantee, they will not have any, so if you have your wife and kids, and cannot swim, at least think about the safety factor....I know it will never happen to you! But what's it cost to have a couple of rolled up, survival jackets or any other alternative floating object or harness, in fact I have seen the new life jacket type swim wear in Vivo City for kids, for learning to swim.

Being aware of the surroundings and observing escape routes if needed and life boats, it is always wise and it doesn't take long. Never swim against a current in an accident becuase you will tire very quickly, flow with the water and head for the bank.

Other than that, maybe SE can give you information, I think he's been over that way. By the way, not to worry you, it's just that i am an outdoor activity type of guy, that always prepares for the worst if possible, even when i don't have the wife and kids with me.

gonzales
Regular
Regular

Postby gonzales » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 8:37 am

Ksl,
thanks for the advice,, we'll take the precautions as advied or maybe better use an operator with better safety practices.

Anyone else got experience of Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh by boat? love to hear them.