Singapore Expats Forum

Study or working in Australia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

janson

Study or working in Australia

Postby janson » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 5:45 pm

HI,
Im 21 tis year and i holding a private culinary diploma..anyone know there is any uni in Australia teach culinary.. but a lot of my friend told me to go work to get experience,culinary dont need to study since i have the basic wat i need is a good mentor to teach me ..Do anyone know of anyway to get to oversea to work??now my biggest problem is my English..really very poor!!I tinking of doing my own business in few year time but if i work in singapore it going to take 10-15 year..i got a few philippines FRIEND ask me to try go australia so tat i can get experience from thr but i dun know how..should i e-mail my resume to the company or i go thr as a tourist then look for job..i know is difficult but i must try...can anyone help me..really very desperate of getting out of here..

sundaymorningstaple

Re: (Study or working in Australia)

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 7:27 pm

janson wrote:HI,
?now my biggest problem is my English..really very poor!!

True enough, but that sentence was the most correct of all the other garbage that you wrote. Surely, your spelling is not THAT bad. If the spelling was a little better I might understand what you were trying to say.

:???:

janson

Postby janson » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 9:14 pm

haha..tks for the advise...i trying to say if i really wan go australia what should i do?should i carry on study university there or how should i find job there??need some advice..

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 9:44 pm

wah, how people can advise you to study or work? it's like asking if you want chinese or indian rojak!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 9:54 pm

If you really want to go to Australia, you should just go! Although you stand more chance in the UK, I know many that are working in the fish & chip shops :lol: Only joking! Seriously i know one young lad from Tunisia, he had no experience at all, and started in the washing up area, they have since upgraded him, and pay him very good money to learn to be a chef!

Because he worked very hard with no complaints for 6 month and was always available when others were off work, to work overtime, so he was rewarded for his effort for chef training! Now he's doing pie and chips :P :wink: Go for it!

Don't mind the sense of humour, you have to be thick skinned over there and give as much as you take.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:11 pm

You would do well to study English BEFORE you go to Australia. After that? Only you can tell. What is "wan"? Are you trying to tell me you are already in University? :shock: If you are, get your money back cause it's not working. :P

janson

Postby janson » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:35 pm

haha sure..i tink i going for English courses first..thank for the advice u guys..well maybe i must be thick skin before going to oversea...well 'wan' is want..tat my shortcut key..but how to we find job in oversea just go thr as a tourist and find job..like what KSL say he knew a friend from Tunisia went there starting as a wash disher..how he find the job??to me in singapore i 14 year old start working till now..so i dont mind work 12 hour every day as long i can reach my goal in future!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:07 pm

janson wrote:haha sure..i tink i going for English courses first..thank for the advice u guys..well maybe i must be thick skin before going to oversea...well 'wan' is want..tat my shortcut key..but how to we find job in oversea just go thr as a tourist and find job..like what KSL say he knew a friend from Tunisia went there starting as a wash disher..how he find the job??to me in singapore i 14 year old start working till now..so i dont mind work 12 hour every day as long i can reach my goal in future!!

Well I would first check on the Visa's that are available find the easy way in, maybe to study, apply for sponsorship. Cost is quite high to travel, these days, Although I think it may be quite easy for you to get into UK, easier tha Australia, you may have to pay a bond.

But there are loads of casual labour jobs working in the Chinese areas, so can always survive doing dishes and learning to cook Chinese for westerners first, or waiting on in the restaurant, you eventually move up to what you want, set your heart on it you will get it.

Chinese restaurant work pays okay around 300 a week up the north, more in London and you may get meals thrown in. When you get there, sign up with the local Council for English classes, these are normally done free by volunteers, until you are able to take on the local college.

Many hotels will be looking for cooks, the working hours are always unsociable and staff hard to find, with many not turning up at weekends, or when they have been out drinking....so play your cards right, you may get the break you are looking for.

But even bakery trade is worth doing, bad working hours, 3 a.m start, not many like to do it! But a very good trade to have in western cakes. pies, if you eventually return to Singapore.

Stay well away from loan sharks in UK and the Chinese gangsters, that will promise to get you in, there are many..and they never let you go free...I would try to make some contact with Singaporean already there legally, and collect information you can use later. Australia is more difficult i'm sure.

melodyQ

Postby melodyQ » Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:45 am

How old are you? If you are still youthful (30 and under) you may try to enter Australia via the Holiday Visa Option yet not all countries are eligible.
Once granted, you may stay between 6-12 months.

I know a few people who were on that visa.... Yet be warned.... you will be severely taxed !! even higher than the local aussies! So not much in your pockets when pay day comes. :x

I think when you return to your own country, you may get a partial tax rebate.... (NOT too sure, maybe you check that out with the Aust Tax Office)

Below info extracted from Oz mmigration.
Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)
For people from Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)
For applicants from Chile, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey and the USA to holiday and work in Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/ or
http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/

Good luck

janson

Postby janson » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 5:12 pm

really very tks ksl and melodyQ for all this useful information...right now i still serving the army military 7 more month to finish so i guess i still got time to find out more..if u guys got any info on how your friends find the job can e-mail me at Janson_zul05@hotmail.com..can add me at MSN too..easy to chat..still got many doubt..

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Thu, 23 Apr 2009 4:47 pm

a friend study in cordon blue..perhaps you can try

they used to need a lot of chef/kitchen hand..

dont know these days..with the recession and stuff....

definitely study english first..although plenty of chinese people there..(ok..im talking about sydneY)

janson

Postby janson » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 7:30 pm

hey,thank for the information i had checked the websited..is cool..i had e-mail and now waiting for reply..tks dude..whr u from??

janson

Postby janson » Sun, 03 May 2009 10:16 pm

i got check with it total i need 30k a year and i going thr for 3 year total need around 100k..how i going to fork out the money..my parent got low income how to loan from bank..i DONT want this kind of life man, worried this and that every month..if now i find jobs in singapore i only can get 1000 monthly..how to survive in this cold-blood country..

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Study or working in Australia

Postby Miss Swan » Mon, 04 May 2009 12:28 pm

janson wrote:now my biggest problem is my English..really very poor!! ..should i e-mail my resume to the company or i go thr as a tourist then look for job..i know is difficult but i must try...can anyone help me..really very desperate of getting out of here..

janson wrote:i got check with it total i need 30k a year and i going thr for 3 year total need around 100k..how i going to fork out the money..my parent got low income how to loan from bank..i DONT want this kind of life man, worried this and that every month..if now i find jobs in singapore i only can get 1000 monthly..how to survive in this cold-blood country..

My 2 cents' worth:
1) Since English is one of your biggest hurdles, have you considered studying an English course there? It's much cheaper than culinary courses; naturally so as you need to pay for equipment usage, ingredients etc. And when on your study visa you can look around for part-time jobs in the kitchens..
2) Give yourself 3 years to gain experience as Culinary Chef/Sous Chef in Singapore so that you can apply for the Skilled Visa, as chefs (with proper qualifications & experience) are in high demand there.
3) Not to sound harsh, but how do you know you can survive there? Even though wages are definitely higher but so are costs of living. You have to pay for food/rent/transport/bills/misc PLUS taxes... at the end of the day you might end up back to square one "worried this and that every month".

Australia is a notoriously tough country to get into unless you have skillsets in demand, backed up qualifications & experience.

Many people go through the study route which is something you can explore, but you'll need to set aside at least 20K (that's for baking course) excluding living expenses.

@MelodyQ: Singaporeans are not eligible for Working Holiday Visa, most unfortunately...