Singapore Expats

US visa for domestic helper

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mondia
Regular
Regular

US visa for domestic helper

Post by Mondia » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:00 pm

We're considering taking our helper with us for our US visit. Anyone know if domestic helper visas are usually granted or denied? Thanks.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:09 pm

From what I understand they are denied as a matter of policy these days. You might get lucky, but from the times I have applied I can tell you it's not a pleasant process. The 'hair cut' masquerading as a real live person at the embassy treats all domestic workers and their employers like criminals. It can be very demoralizing. I would think very carefully about bringing your maid with you anyway-- more often than not they are miserable away from home.

Mondia
Regular
Regular

Post by Mondia » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:21 pm

road.not.taken wrote:From what I understand they are denied as a matter of policy these days. You might get lucky, but from the times I have applied I can tell you it's not a pleasant process. The 'hair cut' masquerading as a real live person at the embassy treats all domestic workers and their employers like criminals. It can be very demoralizing. I would think very carefully about bringing your maid with you anyway-- more often than not they are miserable away from home.

Thanks for the information - very helpful.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:25 pm

Pakjohn