Need information on ear piercings for kids

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
Mondia
Regular
Regular
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 5:03 am

Need information on ear piercings for kids

Post by Mondia » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:45 am

I want to get my 4 year-old's ears pierced. Is this done by pediatricians? Any recommendations? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:51 am

One mans food etc.

Does the kid want to be pierced?

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:00 pm

Why not wait until the child is old enough to make the decision herself and can properly take care of the piercings? Really, what's the rush?

Mondia
Regular
Regular
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 5:03 am

Post by Mondia » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:03 pm

To both the above posters - I wasn't looking for anyone's personal opinion on whether or not to get my child's ears pierced. Its really not your business. I could question you on a thousand things you do (including giving opinions when not needed).

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:15 pm

Mondia wrote:To both the above posters - I wasn't looking for anyone's personal opinion on whether or not to get my child's ears pierced. Its really not your business. I could question you on a thousand things you do (including giving opinions when not needed).
Well, I think you made it our business when you posted it on an open forum and asked for advice. Did you mean you only wanted the feedback that you agree with? You said 'any feedback would be appreciated'. Why not ask a friend who may not be so judgmental and not a bunch of strangers ?

Mondia
Regular
Regular
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 5:03 am

Post by Mondia » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:19 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Mondia wrote:To both the above posters - I wasn't looking for anyone's personal opinion on whether or not to get my child's ears pierced. Its really not your business. I could question you on a thousand things you do (including giving opinions when not needed).
Well, I think you made it our business when you posted it on an open forum and asked for advice. Did you mean you only wanted the feedback that you agree with? You said 'any feedback would be appreciated'. Why not ask a friend who may not be so judgmental and not a bunch of strangers ?
That is the silliest argument I have heard in a long time. Any feedback obviously refers to the places and not your opinion. And one assumes that when one is posting a question in an open forum, people will respond intelligently addressing the question. Who made you the ear-piercing cop?

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:26 pm

Mondia wrote:Who made you the ear-piercing cop?
No one, I just gave my opinion. For an attorney you sure do assume a lot... :roll:

I've seen a lot of infected ear lobes here. This isn't New York, this is the tropics and infections are faster and more virulent. I wouldn't put you or your child through it. Just a suggestion, sheesh.

Mondia
Regular
Regular
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 5:03 am

Post by Mondia » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 4:56 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Mondia wrote:Who made you the ear-piercing cop?
No one, I just gave my opinion. For an attorney you sure do assume a lot... :roll:

I've seen a lot of infected ear lobes here. This isn't New York, this is the tropics and infections are faster and more virulent. I wouldn't put you or your child through it. Just a suggestion, sheesh.
I understand and appreciate the concern but my daughter wants her ears pierced. Any ideas on where I can get it done?

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 7:08 pm

Why stop there? why not a nice tattoo of barney?

I appreciate its a bit of a cultural thing, in the West when you see a toddler with an ear ring you can pretty much guarantee the mum would be a shell suit wearing Sharon from a council estate. Both kid and mum will have a fag in their fingers

While in Asia and India its more an acceptable norm.

I got a chum whose hubby is a border line Chav, they just did her 8 year old, admittedly the girl looks like a bloke, so needed a hint. I will try and see where she did it.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 8:41 pm

QRM and R.N.T. - You are out of your league... busy judging others, and RNT you are over the top... have you had a bad day?

The lady has asked for a recommendation, not your values for living the 'right' life.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 9:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:QRM and R.N.T. - You are out of your league... busy judging others, and RNT you are over the top... have you had a bad day?

The lady has asked for a recommendation, not your values for living the 'right' life.
Over which top would that be exactly Strong Eagle? So, answer her question, or are you too busy judging me for such frivolities? Pot, I'd like to introduce you to this friend of mine. His name is Strong Eagle, but everyone just calls him 'black'...

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11650
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:13 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:QRM and R.N.T. - You are out of your league... busy judging others, and RNT you are over the top... have you had a bad day?

The lady has asked for a recommendation, not your values for living the 'right' life.
Over which top would that be exactly Strong Eagle? So, answer her question, or are you too busy judging me for such frivolities? Pot, I'd like to introduce you to this friend of mine. His name is Strong Eagle, but everyone just calls him 'black'...
Easy, easy, please. Lady asked a question, you jumped down her throat... I've seen the same in some other threads... and in reaction to my post here. I'm not judging you, just noting that you have been very quick to judge others.

Cheers.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 9:24 am

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:25 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I'm not judging you, just noting that you have been very quick to judge others.

Cheers.
And you are judging me, or are you just overlooking that part? Ah, the irony.

Look, I don't like political correctness for the sake of a kumbiya moment. Four year olds need parents, not facilitators. Yes, a judgement on my part! The poster can either ignore it, or pause to think about it. She's the adult. And you still have not answered her question.... :roll:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39553
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:46 pm

As you are going to be in Singapore, I suggest you do it the traditional way so she has something to remember other that the special pliers the go pop and there a hole. Take her to Little India and ask around where to get it done. The local Indian bomoh will do it for a pittance using a thorn the traditional way. You can also go to most tat parlours as well. There's plenty of places that do body disfigurations here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
boffenl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Clementi all the way baby!

Post by boffenl » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 9:43 am

Man, you people are all CRAZY! My seven year old mentioned the other day she'd like to get her ears pierced too--quite acceptable age in the US so knock it off people.

I'd also like to know if there are any paediatricians who do the piercings here in SG. I know in the US you can have the paediatrician do it, but haven't heard anyone actually do it that way here.

I hazard to say "any feedback would be appreciated". Sheesh people!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests