Singapore Expats Forum

Information about Salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

malikhan

Information about Salary

Postby malikhan » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 4:19 am

I have an offer of S$7000 per month (gross) plus housing and all other medical allownces. Is it a good offer. I am a recent PhD graduate from US.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 7:01 am

Not enough data. In a lot of cases, yes it's decent. We don't know if you are in hard engineering, life sciences, literature, IT or other field. We don't know if you have been a full time student or have actually experience to go with the wallpaper which is just that. We don't know what country you are from (and yes it does matter, sadly), whether you are married, single, have family, vegan, boozer, party'er or anything else that would be able to give a reader a clue. The other thing is whether the PhD is from a reputable school in Singapore's eyes. Have you done the self-assessment yet that is available on the MOM website?

malikhan

Postby malikhan » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 9:27 pm

I am in computer science. Have two years of experience in my field and did my Phd from University of Chicago which is considered a very good school in CS.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:02 pm

If your housing is fully found it's reasonable. If you are not an American Citizen but just did your PhD there, it's even better.

malikhan

Postby malikhan » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 1:11 am

Thanks... I have canadian citizenship( not by birth). They are giving me 1200/month for housing.. Thanks again for all your help.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 9:22 am

You need to ask for more housing allowance. At least 2K but preferrable 2.5K to 3K. You don't want to have to be topping up your rent each month from your salary if possible. That way you may also be able to cover some or all of the utilities as well.

SingaporeCanuck

Postby SingaporeCanuck » Fri, 08 May 2009 8:38 pm

HI,

If you're coming here for research, then YES, your offer is pretty good.
just count it as 8200/month. A lot better than many [ALL] of the fresh / recent PhDs within A*STAR.
(I moved here 8 months ago after finishing my PhD - Engineering / Applied Physics).

If you're moving here for business, then I don't really know / cannot comment.

overall, if you want to live a normal life (HDB apartment), have $$ to travel and save 20-30% 8.2k/month is enough.

have any further questions: - just ask.