Singapore Expats Forum

Arriving Singapore, EP/S Pass, Visit Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hexadecimal

Arriving Singapore, EP/S Pass, Visit Pass

Postby hexadecimal » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 3:44 pm

Hi folks,
I have got a job from an international company from Singapore.
Currently I have signed Employment Letter and I am now waiting for EP/S Pass. I have sent my all documents and they are arranging things for me. I hope I will get the pass and hopefully will be working in Singapore next month. I am from Turkey and I believe it is going to be an adventurous period for me.
I have a couple of questions;

- How long does it take usually to get a reply from MOM. The person I am in contact from my new company can not give so much details to me; I don't know they have applied directly or via an agency, online/offline ... ?

- The person I am in contact told me to come early for housing purposes, but I am not sure if can enter Sg before I get the pass. Turkish citizens can get in Sg for 15 days (?) I guess when they have return flight ticket. So in my case I f come early and wait for EP/S pass I won't need a return ticket. What do you suggest me?

... more will come, thanks from now, and I think I will be one of your new active members...

:wave:

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Arriving Singapore, EP/S Pass, Visit Pass

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 4:17 pm

hexadecimal wrote:Hi folks,
I have got a job from an international company from Singapore.
Currently I have signed Employment Letter and I am now waiting for EP/S Pass. I have sent my all documents and they are arranging things for me. I hope I will get the pass and hopefully will be working in Singapore next month. I am from Turkey and I believe it is going to be an adventurous period for me.
I have a couple of questions;

- How long does it take usually to get a reply from MOM. The person I am in contact from my new company can not give so much details to me; I don't know they have applied directly or via an agency, online/offline ... ?

- The person I am in contact told me to come early for housing purposes, but I am not sure if can enter Sg before I get the pass. Turkish citizens can get in Sg for 15 days (?) I guess when they have return flight ticket. So in my case I f come early and wait for EP/S pass I won't need a return ticket. What do you suggest me?

... more will come, thanks from now, and I think I will be one of your new active members...

:wave:

1. They would apply it online as it is an international company via MOM site.
2. It usually takes 1-2 weeks max to get the pass stamped.Not sure whether things have changed due to recession.
3.Ask them for a temporary accommodation for 15-30 days. So that you fish out the place on your own.

Hope this helps.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

hexadecimal

Postby hexadecimal » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 4:45 pm

thanks a lot @blue_thunder,

for number 3; temporary accommodation is not the problem, the problem is that if I can get in Sg before my EP/S pass approval.

But as you said, if it takes 2 weeks to get approved and since it has been already 1 week, it is not going to be a big deal...

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 5:05 pm

As you had mentioned earlier, you can enter by a Tourist visa(not sure for Turkey citizens, please check the ICA website).
Hope the senior members can guide you in this regard.

Cheers.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 6:52 pm

Actually, if applied for online a pass only takes a couple of days, maximum. I've had EP's approved in 48 hours. You employer, if filing online should easily be able to check status. If filed manually (I don't know why) they should still be able to check status.

My sense is that you need to be very careful about this new company to make sure they are not leading you on. A company that has applied for EP or S-Pass can easily check status, and if they are handing you the bullsh*t line that they don't know, be careful.

The company can only know 3 things from MOM: approved, rejected, in process... so if it is in process that is all they will know.

PS: Nobody applies through an agency. Most apply through EP Online. Even those that apply by dropping off a written application can check online.

hexadecimal

Postby hexadecimal » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 9:24 pm

Hi @Strong Eagle,
Thanks for reply,
First of all I think there is no problem with the company since it is worldwide known company and we had several interviews and we have signed related letters. But tell me worst stories to be aware, if possible.
But the HR professional might be a little bit weak on these topics or company bureaucracy might be making things slower. I don't know. What exactly you really mean by "leading on"? :?

anyway, so far it has been 5 work days, lets see whats going to happen.

And I guess you don't have much idea about getting in Sg with a "in process" EP/S pass application. I mean entering with tourist visa and wating for EP/S pass, and then converting visa to EP/S pass...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 9:58 pm

Sure you can come on a tourist visa if you want. But you will need to purchase a round trip ticket because you don't have the IPA yet. Kinda up to you I suppose though. But, it also could get expensive if for some reason it did a worst case scenario and went belly up.

sms

hexadecimal

Postby hexadecimal » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:12 pm

I just get curious about how they fill the application online?
I have sent them scan images of application forms. Do they just upload those scan images? or fill some online forms accordingly?