Singapore Expats

raising 2 toddler in singapore and where to live?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
yaya1

raising 2 toddler in singapore and where to live?

Post by yaya1 » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 6:15 pm

Hi, DH got a offer to work in the center at Beach Road and we're thinking of taking the job!
We have a 1Y and a 3Y kids and I want the 3Y will go to a half/full day to a day care, but something local as we can't really efford a private day care... anybody know a nice day care?
another questio is where to live?
DH doesn't care to speand 30minutes in the MRT as we're looking for a nice place but not a place that we can have, up to 2K a month?
hope you can help me!
thank you!

peacekeepa

Post by peacekeepa » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 4:22 pm

Hi, i also have a 3y and 1y, so does another couple we met yesterday. we both live in Parc Oasis, but each of us has a stay-at-home spouse, saving high cost of pre-school. avg rent there is around 2200-3500, depending on size of course. prices are still dropping every week, should soon be down to 2k if that's your max budget. pm me for more details, it's a super nice place!

btw, the further out you live from the city center the cheaper it will be, so you'll have to make some concession and take the train for 30+ min if 2k is your max budget. are you looking for condo or HDB?

jon0lim

Post by jon0lim » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 9:08 pm

How about the PAP Community Foundation. Its cheap and has centres all over the island.

yaya1

day care

Post by yaya1 » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:08 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your answer, it was a big help.
I couldn't see at the day care web site if a non- singapore can go to this day care too and the fee, so I would be happy a help on that.

thank you.

jon0lim

Post by jon0lim » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 4:21 pm

Latest information I can find regarding the fees state that it is $96 a month.
Looking at some of the old posts in this forum, it would appear that non-Singaporeans can go to PAP Community Foundation as well. Not too sure about that though, best to call them and check it out.

expertpuff

Post by expertpuff » Sat, 18 Apr 2009 9:31 pm

You can try registering for PAP Community Foundation (PCF) Childcare or Kindergarten services, foreigners are eligible. Registration for 2010 is open already, unless you want to enrol your child ASAP?

Anyway, be selective of the branch at which you enrol your child. Just a caveat: talk to at least 2 different teachers at the centre who will be teaching your child. Make sure that the teachers REALLY know what they are doing and that they are passionate about helping your child. I have heard a bit of nasty remarks about friends' kids who graduate from some of the govt sponsored kindergartens not knowing how to spell!

All the best in your search :)
Passion in life. Passion in teaching.

yaya1

we're not moving to singapore!

Post by yaya1 » Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:05 am

Hiya everyone,
I spend a lovely time in this forum but DH said no thanks as the salary was too low for us (5K SGD)... :(
but I'm still dreaming so maybe it'll happen in the future...
Thank you everyone!