Relocation Site Visit - What is important to see?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
rbwmac

Relocation Site Visit - What is important to see?

Post by rbwmac » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 12:11 pm

My husband and I arrive next Sunday for our Site Visit of Singapore before our relocation in August. The relocation manager is booking appointments with a realtor and another person to help us tour neighborhoods. From research we have done we think we'd like to live in D11, 21, 15, 16.

I wanted to find out if there was anything we should add to our list?
So far we have asked to visit:
Market/Markets - to gain knowledge on food shopping and if multiple places have to be visited to do a food shop.
Electronic Store - wanted to price out replacing our electronics
Car Dealership - price out leasing options

We currently live in New York City so we are accustomed to many conveniences, and realize Singapore will be very different. We are very realistic in our expectations and we want to make the very most of our Site Visit. I'm happy for any recommendations!

Many thanks in advance!

Singapore Property Search

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 5:50 pm

I think it's the job of the relocation person to show you around and listen to your expectations and adjust accordingly. Without knowing what your specific interests are, or budget, or family situation, it would be hard to add value here. However, make sure you are clear with the realtor so you don't waste a lot of your time. These look-see trips can be daunting. If you want new or newly refurbished for example -- then say so. Either way they will bring you to see some clunkers for sure. I would ask to see a variety as well: flats, semi-Ds, conservation, brand new, etc...

After you've seen all they have show you, come back with some specific questions. OK?

Give my love to Union Square :wink:

rbwmac

Post by rbwmac » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I should have been more specific. We have already had a long conference call with the manager regarding our housing needs. They will accompany us with the realtor. I've requested to see at least three of each type of properties in each area. Since our expat package allows for corp housing once we are over; we are not planning to find a place this visit but hope to get an idea what is in our price range ($7K Sing/month).

My question was for other recommendations of things we should try to see so we can better prepare for our move. My husband has visited a few times on business, but never as a potential resident. We don't have children, yet, so schools aren't a concern.

We'll be in Union Square today! It's a sunny and brisk, Spring morning...Things I'll miss about NYC, the change of seasons.
Thanks again!