Singapore Expats Forum

Auto synchronising real clocks (e.g not PC clocks)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Auto synchronising real clocks (e.g not PC clocks)

Postby Yutenji » Sun, 05 Apr 2009 7:35 am

Hi, I'm trying to find clocks that automatically reset themselves to the correct time periodically. Before you answer, let me clarify:
- I am refering to real, physical clocks, not the clocks inside PCs, DVD players etc.
- In many countries (especially Europe) the government broadcast a radio signal that allows clocks (that have the proper equipment built-in) to automatically reset themselves. This is of particular value when the time changes to/from Standard to Daylight Saving. See http://mindprod.com/bgloss/radiosynchedclock.html for some examples of these clocks.

However, (a) many other countries do not broadcast this signal, and (b) it's probably not necessary to do so nowadays, since a properly enabled clock could just synch via wireless home LAN to get to a time server.

I've found this one ( http://www.primexwireless.com/data/spec ... ns/AMP.pdf ) but it's over-the-top for my needs. Anyone know of something a bit simpler?

One other, slightly more extreme, idea would be to find a way to simulate the Radio signal. E.g. Build a transmitter that picks up the accurate time from a PC and then transmit that in a small range.

Thanks

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:17 pm

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Yutenji » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 8:39 am

durain wrote:how about a casio wave ceptor?

Thanks, but that's just another example of the technology (albeit a good example) that I'm trying to reproduce. To elaborate, there are two technologies in play, and I guess I'm trying to blend them:

Method #1:
Special radio signal -> broadcast to -> Specially enabled clocks (or watches!)

Method #2:
Computer based Time servers (NIST etc.) -> broadcast thru networks to -> pretty much any client computer

Pros and Cons:
Method #1 is solid, reliable, a bit old fashioned, works only with special clocks and only works in Europe, USA and one or two other places.
Method #2 is solid, reliable, up to date, works only with computers, works worldwide.

What I want is to get Clocks synching with computer-based time servers, such as NIST. This means either (a) Get a clock than connects to a computer network and is enabled to make "what time is it" requests to the time server, or (b) Get an interface from a computer network that can re-broadacst the special radio signal that the Clocks can understand.

I suspect this topic is a little beyond the normal SingaporeExpats discussions, but hey, there's lots of smart, well-connected people reading this, so maybe someone will know something.

Cheers

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 6:38 pm

You may want to look at the link below about radio referenced NTP server.

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

But I believe you want something which is a bit different than the one above. Like get the timing from the NTP server and create a radio signal?[/url]
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 6:39 pm

Opps... The URL link didn't work. You can just try googling the Radio Referenced NTP Server.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

NTP / Radio referenced clocks

Postby Yutenji » Tue, 07 Apr 2009 8:52 pm

Asian_geekette thanks, that's certainly interesting. But, what I'm after is the other way round, e.g. generating the radio signal given a reliable time source (NTP).

I'll try emailing to some of the people in the sites you've pointed me to.

Thanks again.