Need some answers regarding renouncing, NS, etc..

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Post Reply
Gimuro
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:22 am

Need some answers regarding renouncing, NS, etc..

Post by Gimuro » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:33 am

Hi I'm currently staying in Singapore holding dual citizenship(different name) of Singapore and Japan.

After finishing my education here next year(same year I turn 21), I'm planning on renouncing my Singapore citizenship and move to Japan amd go on to study at their University.

Now what's worrying me is whether Singapore will stop me because I haven't go for National Service even though I have no plans on staying here anymore. I'm eligible for National Service and have deferred once before.

Now the questions are..

1. Whats the demerit of renouncing Singapore's citizenship?

2. Am I allowed to renounce without going NS?

3. Will I still be considered a deserter even after renouncing citizenship?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39773
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Need some answers regarding renouncing, NS, etc..

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:44 am

Gimuro wrote:Hi I'm currently staying in Singapore holding dual citizenship(different name) of Singapore and Japan.

After finishing my education here next year(same year I turn 21), I'm planning on renouncing my Singapore citizenship and move to Japan amd go on to study at their University.

Now what's worrying me is whether Singapore will stop me because I haven't go for National Service even though I have no plans on staying here anymore. I'm eligible for National Service and have deferred once before.

Now the questions are..

1. Whats the demerit of renouncing Singapore's citizenship?

First of all you cannot renounce your citizenship unless you have fulfilled your National Service obligation.


2. Am I allowed to renounce without going NS?

NO.

3. Will I still be considered a deserter even after renouncing citizenship?

As you are not allowed to renounce before doing NS, and holding citizenship in two countries past the age of 21, you are breaking two laws, not just one. It's illegal to hold two different citizenships after the age of majority (in Singapore) and if you leave the country (assuming you are allowed to leave) once your deferment has expired you will also be considered a deserter. If that happens, If you are somehow recognized coming through the airport you can be picked up and jailed. So for all practical purposes, you will never be allowed to enter Singapore again. Ever.
Additionally, if you have already had a deferment you can bet your bottom dollar they already have your details flagged if you were a naturalized Citizen or if one parent was a non-citizen on your Birth Certificate.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shounantou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 01 May 2009 1:07 am

Post by shounantou » Fri, 01 May 2009 1:13 am

im in the exact same situation as you but the thing is im completing my high school studies in another country.

i have to go back and surrender my exit permit because i had defered for 2 years.

どうも、始めまして。
もしよかったら、情報交換しません?俺も似たような情況ですので。

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3004
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 01 May 2009 5:01 pm

shounantou wrote: どうも、始めまして。
もしよかったら、情報交換しません?俺も似たような情況ですので。
すみませんが、日本語で話したかったらお役立ちウェブのほうがいいと思います。
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4278
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005 2:13 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Plavt » Fri, 01 May 2009 6:41 pm

jpatokal wrote:
shounantou wrote: どうも、始めまして。
もしよかったら、情報交換しません?俺も似たような情況ですので。
すみませんが、日本語で話したかったらお役立ちウェブのほうがいいと思います。
私も思います. :wink:

shounantou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 01 May 2009 1:07 am

Post by shounantou » Sat, 02 May 2009 12:35 pm

別に日本語で話すつもりじゃないんだけど。
どうせ返信するのであれば、もっと役に立つような事を御願いしたい。
ツマランことぬかすよりいいと私は思います。
あくまで個人の意見ですので、おきに触られたらめんぼくない。

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4278
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005 2:13 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Plavt » Sat, 02 May 2009 2:24 pm

shounantou,

As you are no doubt aware, few people outside Japan speak Japanese fluently, of those that do many appear more fluent than
they really are. When it comes to reading and writing Japanese then the number are even fewer (even worse the foreigners that live there and never even bother to learn hiragana). Therefore extremely few on this board will understand your posts. This what Jpatokal meant when he suggested using the Japanese site.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests