Singapore Expats Forum

Apply for PR while overseas

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 14 Jul 2009 5:20 pm

Saint, you take too long to reply (17 mins)! Pls try to respond within 10 minutes next time. :wink: Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

IreSg

Postby IreSg » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 6:27 pm

Hi all,
I am at the same situation my wife is Singaporean and I am waiting for PR to be approve and seems like Saint got response really quick as both my children are Singaporean too I thought my application will go thru quicker.

But so far I have heard nothing yet. I wonder as currently I have no job due to the economic crisis here in Ireland will it affect my application. And since we are planning to move back to Singapore in November there is not point looking for a job here.

Although I have applied for a few jobs in Singapore but so far no news whatsoever. I suppose its a little discouraging but have to keep on trying.
Patience is a virtue!! 8-)

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:11 pm

IreSg wrote:Hi all,
I am at the same situation my wife is Singaporean and I am waiting for PR to be approve and seems like Saint got response really quick as both my children are Singaporean too I thought my application will go thru quicker.

Funny thing is that I already have a FIN and provided my entire financial background etc (which should be more than satisfactory) to them when I went to Singapore 5 years ago and applied for my student pass then (only later did I find out that I didn't even have to provide all my financial details as I am on a European passport). So they should have everything from back then already and only would have to look at my income statements from the last two years since I left Singapore. This makes me think they just have a massive backlog and that is why we have to wait so long until it is our turn. Once it is our turn they will hopefully go through quickly.

When did you apply IreSG? Did you receive anything at all from ICA after you submitted you application through the High Commission? I only got a letter from the High Commission but nothing from ICA.

IreSg

Postby IreSg » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:08 pm

hi littlegreenman,

i didn't receive anything from either ICA or high com but I did ring ICA and ask them about my application and they said it is still in process. So I suppose I have to wait again that was like a mth ago. I applied late april, I know I am a little impatience but its seems like there are no news or nothing whatsoever.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:36 pm

IreSg wrote:hi littlegreenman,

i didn't receive anything from either ICA or high com but I did ring ICA and ask them about my application and they said it is still in process. So I suppose I have to wait again that was like a mth ago. I applied late april, I know I am a little impatience but its seems like there are no news or nothing whatsoever.

I am not blaming you for being a bit impatient, I know what you mean. Think about it that way, they say it takes 3 months on average. Until the foreign mission forwards the docs and they are looked at by someone in ICA I am sure at least one to two weeks pass by. As mentioned they seem very busy currently as all the EP holders apply for PR so they don't get kicked out of the country should they lose their jobs. So yeah, wait is all we can do, no news is good news I guess until you get your approval. But I don't think you will have to worry at all unless you hear something negative from them.

One thing to note, the letter I got from the High Com stated that average processing time is 3-6 months. Interesting. Maybe that is a more up to date indication than the 3 months stated on the ICA webpage itself.

IreSg

Postby IreSg » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 3:36 am

One thing to note, the letter I got from the High Com stated that average processing time is 3-6 months. Interesting. Maybe that is a more up to date indication than the 3 months stated on the ICA webpage itself

When I rang them that day, I sort of asked them are they busy but I think they heard me wrongly and tell me it will take up 3-6mths for process. As you said, no news is good news let's hope for best.

Perhaps I will try to ring again when my 3 months is up next few weeks and see how did it go.

Hey all the best to you hope everything will go well for you. Perhaps when you move back to Singapore we can meet up for a pint!

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 20 Jul 2009 4:18 am

IreSg wrote:...Hey all the best to you hope everything will go well for you. Perhaps when you move back to Singapore we can meet up for a pint!

Thanks bud, looking forward to the pint then.

Just as a heads up, read post http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic57872.html and there is that Aussie married to a Singaporean who applied for PR (although in the end he applied under skilled professional/technical scheme as he was also on an s-pass). His PR was approved after 4 months (he applied in March). So I think this should give us a rough guideline on what timeframe to expect.

I will certainly keep you up to date as soon as I hear anything or if I get told something different than the usual "it is processing".

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 4:50 pm

UPDATE:

I called ICA this morning again and I am cautiously optimistic. I had a very capable lady on the phone (for once) and she told me that my application is in the final stage and a letter should go out to me within the next 2 to 3 weeks. This is pretty much in line with the four months another poster in the following thread experienced http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic57872.html.

Usually I only got the "it is still processing" answer and asking for details was useless. That it is in the final stage seems encouraging though as I believe this should just mean final sign off and dispatching the letter from what the lady indicated. I assume that if my application would have been turned down then it would not have to go to the final stage. Fingers crossed.

Small hint: if you call up ICA to enquire about the status, ask them whether you application is in the final stage yet. That might give you a different reply from the standard "it is still processing" perhaps.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Mon, 27 Jul 2009 9:12 pm

Ladies and gentlemen,

please feel free to say hello to the latest SPR (ie. me). I got the letter in the mail this morning from the High Commission here in London. My PR was already approved two weeks back on the 16th of July but the High Commission only sent me the letter on the 24th and I received it today (27th).

Things to note: I have two months two complete the formalities at ICA. I made my appointment online and will be going to Singapore on the 5th of September.

Question to Saint who has gone through this process before (or anyone else who knows anything about it): when you went there and left Singapore I don't think you applied for an exit permit from the MOD, did you? I am thinking that technically I am liable but from what I read usually you get a letter from MOD after roughly six months asking you to "register" online and then they tell you that you are exempt. However I am just curious from the legal point of view, when I leave (still have to finish my masters here in London which takes another 11 months), do I violate any rules, would I need an exit permit? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Also Saint, when you gave your address to ICA, did you give them your UK address initially or did you give them a local address and go to the neighbourhood police post and change it to an overseas address?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:02 pm

Congratulations! :cool:

IreSg

Postby IreSg » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 7:49 am

Congrats to you! Hopefully I will be in the same boat as you are I shall cross any fingers and toes I have and hope for the best.

Let me know how you get on with ICA. Keep me posted.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:32 am

littlegreenman wrote:Ladies and gentlemen,

please feel free to say hello to the latest SPR (ie. me). I got the letter in the mail this morning from the High Commission here in London. My PR was already approved two weeks back on the 16th of July but the High Commission only sent me the letter on the 24th and I received it today (27th).

Many congratulations, I remember vividly seeing that thick envelope on the mat from the London High Commission. Even though it was quite a thick envelope I looked nervously at it for about 15 mins before I plucked up the courage to open it :oops:

Things to note: I have two months two complete the formalities at ICA. I made my appointment online and will be going to Singapore on the 5th of September.

I guess you know you'll have to get your medical done and results back before going for your appointment at the ICA? They take about 3 working days to get back.

Question to Saint who has gone through this process before (or anyone else who knows anything about it): when you went there and left Singapore I don't think you applied for an exit permit from the MOD, did you? I am thinking that technically I am liable but from what I read usually you get a letter from MOD after roughly six months asking you to "register" online and then they tell you that you are exempt. However I am just curious from the legal point of view, when I leave (still have to finish my masters here in London which takes another 11 months), do I violate any rules, would I need an exit permit? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I didn't apply for an exit permit from the MOD, like you, I went straight back to the UK after completing the PR process. I seem to remember I received the letter from the MOD, which was sent to my registered Singapore address, about 2 months after completing the PR process. I think you then have a month or so to register online.

Also Saint, when you gave your address to ICA, did you give them your UK address initially or did you give them a local address and go to the neighbourhood police post and change it to an overseas address?

I gave them a local Singapore address which was my in-laws. I never actually changed it to my UK address as I was only going back to UK for a couple of months. You can only collect your IC from the ICA 7 days after you comple the PR process so if you want that before you go back to UK you'll have to factor that in to your trip here.

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby littlegreenman » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Saint.

Medical will be paid for be the English taxpayers, ie. I will have it done by the NHS so I finally get something out of my national insurance contributions. That was also a reason for me to finally register with a GP here (after over two years).

I will be using my in-laws address as well... so I guess I am going to get my money's worth after many years of cultural clashing with them as well lol.

Geez, I am also looking forward to transferring my British pension to the CPF. Guess that will be another never ending story.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:14 am

littlegreenman wrote:
Geez, I am also looking forward to transferring my British pension to the CPF. Guess that will be another never ending story.

Didn't actually know you could transfer UK pensions in to CPF??

Good luck if you can and report how!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 1:11 am

littlegreenman wrote:Thanks for the heads-up Saint.

Medical will be paid for be the English taxpayers, ie. I will have it done by the NHS so I finally get something out of my national insurance contributions. That was also a reason for me to finally register with a GP here (after over two years).

I will be using my in-laws address as well... so I guess I am going to get my money's worth after many years of cultural clashing with them as well lol.

Oh how i hate that ---------------------place they can keep every penny i have paid in! They are all f----g idiots at the highest level in the civil service and believe me its got much worse, because now they are not civil service, but contractors with no offices open but just a phone line, which you pay a 50 pence per minute for. It's a blah blah blah disgrace. Worse than f------A------a

Littlegreenman says: Ladies and gentlemen,

please feel free to say hello to the latest SPR (ie. me)." Hello!" from a Lancasterian and welcome to Singapore, you really must have suffered in that backward Country! For me every visit is like stepping into a time machine.