Singapore Expats Forum

Crew position for non Singaporean

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11114
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:59 am

Daisydoo wrote:Not being huffy strong eagle but I beg to differ with your point of "nationality" coming into play in every country I think you will find it is illegal in most of Europe to discriminate on those terms. :)


There are two things to consider here.

a) Even with the EU open labor markets French will hire French first, Germans will hire Germans first, and so on. The only time it is different is when a worker cannot be found.

b) Foreign workers, especially now, have a much tougher time getting a permit to work... the same boat you are in here in Singapore (and Malaysia, and Thailand, and most other Asian countries). Do you know that to hire a foreigner in Thailand I have to put up 2 million baht in order to obtain the work permit?

So, if not nationality, then citizenship... citizens first... I know of know country that does not have this policy to one degree or another.

paperpoint
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 28 Apr 2009
Location: singapour

Postby paperpoint » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 8:44 pm

I am european and as far as I've noticed, in the EU this is a very controversial subject.

I tend to disagree with some of the things said here, the notion that preferring french people in france and germans in germany is exactly the opposite of the principle of liberalisation in the EU and I personally think the phenomenon of preference on nationality applies only in some areas. I know in the UK, many britsh workers are annoyed at the fact that british owners prefer to hire polish workers over local ones, so it depends.

Of course, if you go for a cabin crew interview at AIR FRANCE or BRITISH AIRWAYS you will get treated equally as long as you meet the requirements.

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Apr 2009 9:53 pm

If you are existing CC, you could always apply to an airline who has a base here in SIN, and offer to move. You'd probably have to do standby, and compete with existing CC seeking the same posting, but it's a option, nonetheless.

Mr. P (ex tech crew)

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 6:50 am

paperpoint wrote:I am european and as far as I've noticed, in the EU this is a very controversial subject.

I tend to disagree with some of the things said here, the notion that preferring french people in france and germans in germany is exactly the opposite of the principle of liberalisation in the EU and I personally think the phenomenon of preference on nationality applies only in some areas. I know in the UK, many britsh workers are annoyed at the fact that british owners prefer to hire polish workers over local ones, so it depends.


Seems you don't understand what is being said here; French and Germans are not keen on taking non-native speaking persons in various positions. The same is true in Britain, the argument for employing foreigners in certain industries is there are (or perhaps more accurately weren't ) an insufficient number of natives with the required skills.

Of course, if you go for a cabin crew interview at AIR FRANCE or BRITISH AIRWAYS you will get treated equally as long as you meet the requirements.


You might care to note some people have had cases of discrimination upheld against British Airways - not something they care to advertise of course.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 6:57 am

sierra2469alpha wrote:If you are existing CC, you could always apply to an airline who has a base here in SIN, and offer to move. You'd probably have to do standby, and compete with existing CC seeking the same posting, but it's a option, nonetheless.

Mr. P (ex tech crew)


I doubt if that is possible; British Airways as far as I can gather has a different contract for Singaporeans which in the UK is illegal! I have no concrete evidence of that and despite numerous attempts to contact the union official concerned I never got an answer - the usual ignorance and ill manners (hope the idiot concerned reads this!)! :x :x

JAL and Cathay Pacific recruit from Singaporeans not sure if any other foreign airlines have a base in Singapore.

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 8:55 am

Plavt - depends on the airline, champ. I had a mate with NZ who was CC and she was pretty senior. There were line offers for 6 month postings to the US, UK etc. Pretty sure QF used to do it, although they might not anymore. As I suggested, the poster could always try...might be an option!

paperpoint
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 28 Apr 2009
Location: singapour

Postby paperpoint » Wed, 29 Apr 2009 9:14 pm

@ Plavt

I don't know where you get your ideas/information from, but it's completely wrong. What you mentioned about hiring foreigners because there aren't enough trained/untrained local ones is ridiculous.

Also, when I was talking about Air France or BA, I mentioned "interview". I highly doubt that you are going to get discriminated against at an interview with AF of BA based on which state you're from.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 2:39 am

paperpoint wrote:@ Plavt

I don't know where you get your ideas/information from, but it's completely wrong. What you mentioned about hiring foreigners because there aren't enough trained/untrained local ones is ridiculous.


Do you live on a different planet? You are the one who is completely wrong; throughout my entire life there have been a shortage of persons to do various jobs in the UK even before the country joined the E.E.C! Why do you think so many doctors were and still are Indians or similar along with dentists? Why do you think so many ancillary staff in hospitals are Filipinas? Why do think so many domestic workers are filipinas or Sri-Lankans? Why do you think a certain famous Asian restaurant in the north of England has to seek it's chefs from India? Why do you think the UK had recruiting campaigns in various other countries to acquire nurses? Why do you think bus companies sought drivers from Poland where a good many plumbers and builders come from? Nobody was complaining about their presence when times were good! Maybe you should learn to listen to the news and read the papers more often as you seem to be oblivious to what I have mentioned despite the fact the information was available to everybody.:roll:


Also, when I was talking about Air France or BA, I mentioned "interview". I highly doubt that you are going to get discriminated against at an interview with AF of BA based on which state you're from.


Although I was not talking about an interview people have been discriminated against at interviews if not there is sometimes some bias but then how would an interviewee know?

paperpoint
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 28 Apr 2009
Location: singapour

Postby paperpoint » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:51 am

First of all, you need to relax.
Secondly, we were not discussing philipino/indian/sri lankan immigrants, we were discussing EU nationals.
Thirdly, the main reason for brits losing their jobs over foreigners from other EU states is very simple: they demand less pay. . Do a simple search on google to convince yourself. :wink:

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:06 am

paperpoint wrote:First of all, you need to relax.
Secondly, we were not discussing philipino/indian/sri lankan immigrants, we were discussing EU nationals.
Thirdly, the main reason for brits losing their jobs over foreigners from other EU states is very simple: they demand less pay. . Do a simple search on google to convince yourself. :wink:


Oh dear . . .

Firstly: You seem to be the one who needs relaxing . . . and some listening skills

Secondly: The discussion pertained to YOUR requirement as a foreigner in Singapore, didn't it?

Thirdly: What rot. Pray tell why a German/Dutch/Swedish/Swiss/Austrian etc . . . professional would agree to work for less than a Brit. Perhaps you should look at the pay structure of Lufthansa/SAS/etc... before making such ludicrous comments.

The UK is NOT the Holy Grail for professionals just because the British media is full of horror stories about how hordes of immigrants are already on your little island and how the teeming masses are poised to engulf the Isles from Calais.

The answer to your question is simple: Preference is given to the local workforce, as fairly much anywhere else. justification has to be given to the Dept. o. Immigration on why one wishes to employ foreigners when the same talent is to be found locally.

This is not racism or whatever term you would like to term it.


Added to which, your last quip about telling people to do a Google search to affirm your assertion is back-asswards. You made a statement and should, therefore, provide the appropriate source.

Looking at your posting style would make it clear that your primary source of information would the The Sun.
One in the hand is worth two of something

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 2:29 pm

paperpoint wrote:First of all, you need to relax.
Secondly, we were not discussing philipino/indian/sri lankan immigrants, we were discussing EU nationals.
Thirdly, the main reason for brits losing their jobs over foreigners from other EU states is very simple: they demand less pay. . Do a simple search on google to convince yourself. :wink:



You need to understand since I was in no way whatsoever simply discussing the immigrants you mentioned, they are simply examples and not confined to those nationalities. Your second paragraph is bullshit! As the poster above mentioned doctors, dentist, engineers, University professors to name a few do not work for less pay than us Britons irrespective of their nationality. Forget google you have only found what you want to and subsequently remain ignorant.

paperpoint
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 28 Apr 2009
Location: singapour

Postby paperpoint » Thu, 30 Apr 2009 7:25 pm

Quasimodo, with your username and also to assume I read the sun or any other tabloids just because of my writing style shows me that you are an immature individual, so I'm not even going to bother getting into polemics with you. I'm not about to start doing research on the internet for some people who can't even maintain a civilised discussion, so believe what you want to, I could hardly care less. :)

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005

Postby Quasimodo » Sat, 02 May 2009 6:22 pm

paperpoint wrote:Quasimodo, with your username and also to assume I read the sun or any other tabloids just because of my writing style shows me that you are an immature individual, so I'm not even going to bother getting into polemics with you. I'm not about to start doing research on the internet for some people who can't even maintain a civilised discussion, so believe what you want to, I could hardly care less. :)


Immature? Perhaps. But then I don't have my head stuck so far up my arse that I can't hear and won't hear what EVERYONE else is telling me.

Polemics? Hardly.

Google, you made a statement and told others to verify it by using Google. That's not the way a discussion works. You make a statement, you should back it up.

Judging by your posts it s no surprise that you can't get a job, but at least you have a chip on both shoulders to balance out your feelings of entitlement.

(Oh, my username refers to a classic in world literature, I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it.)
One in the hand is worth two of something

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11114
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 02 May 2009 9:57 pm

Ahh... Massuh Modo... you been very non mature thru so many incarnations.. of names I cannot speel... ValCruise?

You googer... head not be up arse... brown be color of eyes, not stuff in eyebrows... lipstick not brown, either.

PS: Is polemics like pole dancing? Yes? I like!!!!

crack9
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby crack9 » Wed, 10 Jun 2009 3:58 am

Daisydoo wrote:and why would it be a shock?? In any other country the persons nationality doesnt come into it when applying for a crew postion. But this is what I have come to expect living in Singapore.

Thanks to the others for their replies.[/i]



it's not abt the nationality. SIA is an asian airline and therefore it would like to preserve it's local flavour by hiring local (ie. ethnic chinese, malay, and indian) girls. u wouldnt see a chinese malay or indian hired by a european airline wld u.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests