Singapore Expats Forum

Crew position for non Singaporean

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Daisydoo

Crew position for non Singaporean

Postby Daisydoo » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 2:12 pm

Hi there, I have been Cabin Crew in Scotland for the past 7 years and would love to fly here in Singapore. Can anyone tell me if any airline would employ a European who is not PR.

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Daisydoo

Postby Daisydoo » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:57 am

Anyone???? :-|

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 1:50 pm

The answer is no if you mean you want to be based in Singapore.

jencrs
Regular
Regular

Postby jencrs » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 5:12 pm

I have never seen a Caucasian cabin crew employed by SIA, much less an European without PR, so I think that's a no.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 6:06 pm

jencrs wrote:I have never seen a Caucasian cabin crew employed by SIA, much less an European without PR, so I think that's a no.

It would be quite a shock, wouldn't it?

Then, there is the reality that so many people apply to be SQ/SIA cabin crew that there is no way the airline could ever justify asking for an employment pass for a non-Singaporean.

Daisydoo

Postby Daisydoo » Fri, 17 Apr 2009 4:14 pm

and why would it be a shock?? In any other country the persons nationality doesnt come into it when applying for a crew postion. But this is what I have come to expect living in Singapore.

Thanks to the others for their replies.[/i]

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 17 Apr 2009 4:48 pm

Daisydoo wrote:and why would it be a shock?? In any other country the persons nationality doesnt come into it when applying for a crew postion. But this is what I have come to expect living in Singapore.

Thanks to the others for their replies.[/i]

Unfortunately in Singapore as it seems you may have gathered nationality does come into it. At one time SIA would employ only people with an Asian appearance and might/might not have argued that the western build would not be suited to the kebaya. However, some time back I did read in this forum there are two ang moh girls working for SIA as cabin crew but I have no idea whether this is true or not.

Daisydoo

Postby Daisydoo » Fri, 17 Apr 2009 4:59 pm

Thank you for your reply but I wasnt really asking about SIA in particular just any airline but I think I have the answer now. What I cant understand is why will these airlines employ pilots from anywhere in the world but not cabin crew? :x

Oh well back to the job drawing board for me. :(

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 17 Apr 2009 5:34 pm

Daisydoo wrote:What I cant understand is why will these airlines employ pilots from anywhere in the world but not cabin crew? :x

Simple answer as already provided by Strong Eagle; there is plenty of local labour available to work as cabin crew. As for pilots there is or was a shortage of commanders hence the airline has or had no choice but to hire foreigners (much the same in other countries: e.g. Qatar, U.A.E {both cabin crew and technical crew here are anything other than locals - well almost}) You might also have noticed SIA does not have any female pilots (as far as I know although SilkAir had two at one time - don't know about now though).

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:03 am

Daisydoo wrote:Thank you for your reply but I wasnt really asking about SIA in particular just any airline but I think I have the answer now. What I cant understand is why will these airlines employ pilots from anywhere in the world but not cabin crew? :x

Possibly you missed the words "employment pass". Above and beyond any ethnic qualifications, the Singapore government enforces a policy of Singaporean citizens first in jobs... like virtually every other country in the world.

You only have to read this forum to see how many young women and men want to be SQ (or other) cabin crew. How in the world could SQ ask for a work permit for a non-Singaporean and how could MOM justify it?

Pilots are a different story. Skilled pilots warrant a permit (an EP). Cadets into the SQ pilot program will be drawn from local talent.

So don't be so huffy; it is citizens first... and if you were a Singapore citizen you'd get to apply just like everyone else, ethnicity not withstanding.

PS: "Nationality" comes into play everywhere... the US, the UK... you name it.

Cheers.

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby singaporegrrl » Mon, 20 Apr 2009 4:31 pm

Daisydoo wrote:Thank you for your reply but I wasnt really asking about SIA in particular just any airline but I think I have the answer now. What I cant understand is why will these airlines employ pilots from anywhere in the world but not cabin crew? :x

Asian airlines, especially in Singapore want to keep the Asian look in their cabin crew. If not this would be a competition to airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, etc etc. If they're looking for this competition, they would have done it a long time ago.
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

Daisydoo

Postby Daisydoo » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 3:47 pm

Not being huffy strong eagle but I beg to differ with your point of "nationality" coming into play in every country I think you will find it is illegal in most of Europe to discriminate on those terms. :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 2:28 am

Daisydoo wrote:Not being huffy strong eagle but I beg to differ with your point of "nationality" coming into play in every country I think you will find it is illegal in most of Europe to discriminate on those terms. :)

Strong Eagle means in terms of priority of employment; 'the citizens of a country get preference' not that they are selected purely on the grounds of race.

E.g. A britain living in Britain would be chosen for a job over a foreigner unless there was justification for employing a foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 7:05 am

Daisydoo wrote:Not being huffy strong eagle but I beg to differ with your point of "nationality" coming into play in every country I think you will find it is illegal in most of Europe to discriminate on those terms. :)

Daisydoo,

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but Asia is not Europe nor the Amreicas. In Asia they do discriminate on any and all terms, from gender, age, looks, religion, marital status and most if not all employers want to see a photo accompanying the resume/CV. This is even true for positions that have absolutely nothing to do with customer service or interaction at all. That is the reality of live in Asia.

sms

Daisydoo

Postby Daisydoo » Mon, 27 Apr 2009 9:59 am

Thanks sundaymorningstaple, I love living here but that is the one thing that is wrong with it.