Singapore Expats

American School or UWC?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
margepl

American School or UWC?

Post by margepl » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 9:00 am

Hi, we've just relocated to Singapore and are looking to enrol our 7 years old in one of the International Schools here. We are looking at either the American School or the UWC at Dover.

Any opnions on the good and bad of either schools?

Thanks.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 7:47 am

American passport holders can't usually get into UWC. Has that changed with the downturn? Also, if you're here for a short while, I think you'll want to stay with the whatever curriculum you'll return to, no? I've heard that Stamford is struggling in this economic climate. I'd be apprehensive about it, being a new school. It hasn't really earned a reputation yet.

noodlemama

Post by noodlemama » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 1:55 pm

Road not taken - I am not certain where you get the idea that US passport holders are not allowed at UWC. My children are American and have gone there for seven years. I heard that the East Campus has 20% Americans.

At UWC there are no limits or restrictions on nationalities.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 2:40 pm

noodlemama wrote:Road not taken - I am not certain where you get the idea that US passport holders are not allowed at UWC. My children are American and have gone there for seven years. I heard that the East Campus has 20% Americans.

At UWC there are no limits or restrictions on nationalities.
This was quite a few years ago, probably 10 now that I think of it. I was told flat out 'no' and a few of my friends had the same experience. The reasoning at the time was that there was a perfectly good American school and UWC was a catchment for many nationalities.

The American kids that went at that time, I believe held dual passports or were coming from an IB program.