Why are people so rude on the MRT!! Some1 Enlighten me!

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 7:09 am

Well, the good thing about being overly optimistic is that you will never die of thirst! The glass of water will ALWAYS be half full :wink: and never half empty! :(

I guess when one has been around for over 6 decades like I have, a lot of the bloom has left the rose..... :oops!: :shit:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:45 am

Having just been on a Cathey Pacific flight, it brings home to me how well groomed, courteous and pleasant the Singapore airline crew are, which just goes to show that its is not genetics. Dont get me wrong, the CP staff like the Lufthansa bunch are all no nonsense and efficient but lacked that certain Je Ne Sais Qua that the SIA manage to capture.

Heres a thought instead of spending two years in the NS learning to kill people, lets be honest Singapore is pretty low on the list of countries to invade, why not get everyone in the NS to spend one of the two years attending the SIA cabin staff training course? just rename it to JNSQ training. Imagine that people saying "Good morning" holding doors open, helping you with prams on stairs...

SIA is one of Singapore biggest Kiasu irony. In order to be the best, staff has to do the total Kiasu opposite, let others, as in the passengers be number one. :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:03 am

QRM wrote:Heres a thought instead of spending two years in the NS learning to kill people, lets be honest Singapore is pretty low on the list of countries to invade, why not get everyone in the NS to spend one of the two years attending the SIA cabin staff training course? just rename it to JNSQ training. Imagine that people saying "Good morning" holding doors open, helping you with prams on stairs...

SIA is one of Singapore biggest Kiasu irony. In order to be the best, staff has to do the total Kiasu opposite, let others, as in the passengers be number one. :lol:
I haven't flown SIA but this sounds like a very good idea.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:15 am

QRM wrote: JNSQ training. Imagine that people saying "Good morning" holding doors open, helping you with prams on stairs...

Most staff are not Singaporean, are they?! :)

'nuff said Image

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:26 am

QRM wrote:SIA is one of Singapore biggest Kiasu irony. In order to be the best, staff has to do the total Kiasu opposite, let others, as in the passengers be number one. :lol:
Could not agree more. Thai Airlines are also pretty good in that respect. I definitely prefer to fly SIA over any other airline. Also Changi is one of the best airports (perhaps not at this very moment) I know.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 3:40 pm

Took SIA, SYD-SIN...good service...SIA SIN-JKT....not good...but with noisy Indonesian passenger :D, they might have been unhappy...
Cathay...good service from the stewardess...but plane was late:( on both flights i took...
Qantas...unfriendly;p or perhaps because it was night flight...

but then...havent fly that often....cant generalize:)

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 4:37 pm

vbelle wrote:Speaking of Indian..

I've always heard this comments about "foreign worker"
1. "I have to take her(my friend) to the door, its not safe around here you know...cause there are a lot of foreign worker"

2. " NYE in Siloso is not fun...because..there is a lot of foreign worker"
3." I am not sure about going to Orchard or Siloso, there is a lot of foreign worker, means molest and theft"

And i've heard few more similar comments..from the locals..Dont really like it..i mean..
Foreign workers...(actually i am foreign worker i think?;p)
Just sounds like a prejudice..generalising...but of course..its not uncommon to have immigrant as the culprit of all things goes wrong in a country...
So, before I deemed that those people are racists...I thought i should check with police if indeed crime is mostly committed by..."foreign workers"

Obviously...to safe my trip to the police..Anyone know if this is prejudice? Or statistic based comments?

im so sad to hear about the siloso beach incidents....they'll make all the prejudice gone worse..or it will be assume as well known fact..

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 4:57 pm

Took the MRT today at abt 10am. Observed a mother and a child (about 5 yr-old) boarded.

Mom: Where do you want to sit?
Son: (Look to his right, frown and say loudly) I don't want that uncle.
Mom: Ok, let's sit another side.

Ugh..... that was not very nice. What the child said was loud and clear and clearly the uncle heard it. And I looked at the guy who was the only uncle around, he was just a college kid with dyed hair, with his Ipod, and reading a novel. The boy may feel unfamiliar with this profile, but still, argh... what happen to civic-mindedness? Ok, granted the boy maybe small, but what about the mother? No give face?

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 5:03 pm

irvine wrote:Took the MRT today at abt 10am. Observed a mother and a child (about 5 yr-old) boarded.

Mom: Where do you want to sit?
Son: (Look to his right, frown and say loudly) I don't want that uncle.
Mom: Ok, let's sit another side.

Ugh..... that was not very nice. What the child said was loud and clear and clearly the uncle heard it. And I looked at the guy who was the only uncle around, he was just a college kid with dyed hair, with his Ipod, and reading a novel. The boy may feel unfamiliar with this profile, but still, argh... what happen to civic-mindedness? Ok, granted the boy maybe small, but what about the mother? No give face?
Teaching them young on :How to be rude when they grow up :roll:
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 5:06 pm

irvine wrote:granted the boy maybe small, but what about the mother? No give face?
Children here are extremely spoiled. Beyond any reasonable limit. Not sure if this is SG only or SEA in general. On the other hand, parents are often not any better what may explain the whole story.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 5:13 pm

x9200 wrote:
irvine wrote:granted the boy maybe small, but what about the mother? No give face?
Children here are extremely spoiled. Beyond any reasonable limit. Not sure if this is SG only or SEA in general. On the other hand, parents are often not any better what may explain the whole story.
not from the philippines from where I came from. maybe it's that "life of privilege" such families are made to believe they have. they think they're automatically better than others. :twisted:

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 5:24 pm

its the society in general, no wonder the govt needs gracious/kindness movemments to teach the basic etiquettes to its people.
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, the good thing about being overly optimistic is that you will never die of thirst! The glass of water will ALWAYS be half full :wink: and never half empty! :(
Cheers to that! :-)

Just for the record, my husband's finally found a place we can live in...
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:46 am

nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:
not from the philippines from where I came from. maybe it's that "life of privilege" such families are made to believe they have. they think they're automatically better than others. :twisted:
Are you saying that children in the PIs are not spoiled?

'nuff said Image

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:55 am

Vaucluse wrote:
nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote: Children here are extremely spoiled. Beyond any reasonable limit. Not sure if this is SG only or SEA in general. On the other hand, parents are often not any better what may explain the whole story.
Are you saying that children in the PIs are not spoiled?
well, not all. the rich kids/raised 'abroad' most probably are. a lot of those who aren't are dysfunctional, yes, but i wouldn't call them extremely spoiled.