Singapore Expats

Why are people so rude on the MRT!! Some1 Enlighten me!

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
AK47_UK

Why are people so rude on the MRT!! Some1 Enlighten me!

Post by AK47_UK » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 3:02 pm

Ok so I've been here 3months now originally from England. My first major beef with Singapore is the vile behaviour on the MRT I see EVERYDAY!

I thought this is meant to be a super developed highly intellectual country?

Do manners or being polite exist in this place? I don't think I need to describe the kind of behaviour as I'm sure you all know.

Also do people eat garlic in the mornings here or do they not know what deodrant is? I always get wafts of very unpleasant smells on the train in the morning which is a lovely way to start the day.

Right, rant over I'm off to do some work. Have a pleasant day everyone.

AK47_UK

Post by AK47_UK » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 4:01 pm

I also forgot to mention that why oh why do pedestrians here NEVER look where they are going!!!!! whats with that????

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 4:16 pm

Welcome to Singapore. At least you don't get mugged like you do in the tube? Some consolation eh?

"a super developed highly intellectual country" is exactly what you have here. However, your statement did not include anything about common sense.....

Now duck! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 6:04 pm

you still got a long way to go to learn or know more about the singapore style/habits! :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:06 pm

Kiasu... you don't necessarily have to be first... you just can't be last. It's about 'me before you', you come after me. So,

In the MRT, crowds push to get in before letting anyone off; strong pushback creates the occasional surprise.

People of all sorts pretend to be sleeping when the aged or pregnant or disabled appear; banging a knee, shouting 'hey' and pointing sometimes works.

On the expressways no one could possibly let you merge in front of them, you must take the space.

Old aunties put their elbow into your back on crowed sidewalks so that you either hurry up or get out of their way... just get out of the way.

HDP dwellers push the door close button as quickly as they can when they see you rushing to the elevator... fortunately more civilized in office buildings.

It's not all people... and it's part of the culture... don't sweat it.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:...Old aunties put their elbow into your back on crowed sidewalks so that you either hurry up or get out of their way... just get out of the way....
SE - love it - nice laugh at this one. Awesome laugh, actually!

So, 7.62/.308 from the UK, embrace the fact that we're in a different culture. Respect their ways and in time they might respect you! It's all about attitude. Oh and if you want garlic smells, I can give you better - donate a week of your time to come and dig out some toilets in Vietnam for a deaf childrens hospice. I'll even provide the spade and the airfare!

Mr. P

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:24 am

no way! it's more fun to just turn around and look the in the eye - they cower in mild shame, then 'sorry ahh'
Strong Eagle wrote:
Old aunties put their elbow into your back on crowed sidewalks so that you either hurry up or get out of their way... just get out of the way.

... don't sweat it.
exactly!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elska76 » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:05 am

HAHAHAHHAHA........im a Singaporean and i know what he is talking about :)

This is what we call "Ugly Singaporeans"

You get to see many of their faces pasted at the "Stomp" website too.

I guess we Singaporeans have a long way more to go to learn about "Social Grace" :)
Some people are alive cos its illegal to kill ;)

mandrew

Post by mandrew » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:10 am

Strong Eagle wrote:On the expressways no one could possibly let you merge in front of them, you must take the space.
Yeah I still cannot make up my mind to keep indicating when I want to merge or just barge in without notice like a local as for the vast majority indicating to change lanes just makes them accelerate and actively prevent you from mergeing. This is especially infuriating when there is an accident or roadwork and you HAVE to merge, they don't just ignore you, they actively cut you off when you indicate!

However there are some locals who do let you in and perhaps setting the example might help change this 'must not ever let anyone merge in front of me' attitude.

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elska76 » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:36 am

HAHAHHA.....dont even get me started with the Singaporean drivers :P

They can even try and overtake you at a carpark which clearly states 15km/h..........i wonder where they are rushing to :)

mandrew wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:On the expressways no one could possibly let you merge in front of them, you must take the space.
Yeah I still cannot make up my mind to keep indicating when I want to merge or just barge in without notice like a local as for the vast majority indicating to change lanes just makes them accelerate and actively prevent you from mergeing. This is especially infuriating when there is an accident or roadwork and you HAVE to merge, they don't just ignore you, they actively cut you off when you indicate!

However there are some locals who do let you in and perhaps setting the example might help change this 'must not ever let anyone merge in front of me' attitude.
Some people are alive cos its illegal to kill ;)

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:53 pm

There was a whole series in the papers on how "gracious" singaporeans were. Reading the responses to the editor it is obvious that it is not a generally held idea.

I stood up on the MRT the other day to let an Auntie take my seat. I tried to block a little kid (about 4) from taking the seat before her, but both the Auntie and the kid's mother let the kid have the seat. The Auntie in the next seat then stood up to let the older brother (about 7) have her seat.

To me this "pandering to the little ones" does not bode well for SG's future.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 7:08 pm

Carteki - I'm not sure offering the seat to the 4 year old is "pandering to the little ones"... I only say this because I have a 4 year old and he usually has to stand and gets thrown all over the place when it's crowded. He would never think to scramble to a seat (think he actually likes the thrill of ride) - but from a mother's perspective it makes me a bit nervous sometimes. On a side note - could someone please tell me what side of the street to walk on????? I generally go with the flow of traffic - but when it's just me and another person on a sidewalk I'm always giving way even though I switch up the sides b/c I'm not sure - :o
Last thing - what's with door holding? Have you ever noticed how people sort of let just enough room to let themselves through even though you are right behind them? I'm really used to it so it doesn't bother me - but I always hold the door for people and just wonder if anyone else notices it?

rluk

Post by rluk » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:13 pm

First of all I love the MRT. One of the best things about Singapore. Ever tried catching public transport to work in Australia? wooah. Forget about it! But I thought I would share this one:

The other day as I got off at my station I saw a young man in an electric wheelchair slowly putting his way to the open lift when a perfectly fit woman about mid thirties comes dashing past. Jumps in the empty lift, hits the close door. Door shuts in front of the wheelchair and lifts her up to heaven. I can't ever recall such an egregious example of rude behaviour! Left quite a few people mouths agape.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:51 pm

carteki wrote:To me this "pandering to the little ones" does not bode well for SG's future.
I'm with the pandering issue - it does not work - in every culture I have been in, but I am sure there is some reason for it. I am at a loss to understand it, but better souls than I will no doubt hunt me down for even posting an opinion.

cbvaasi- good post, but carteki's is equally valid. The injuries to an "auntie" are going to be more severe in a sudden stop than to a 4 year old. Older people have brittle bones - the young ones are quite "pliable" in terms of bone injuries. Maybe a seat on the lap might work for you ? Not sure? Maybe your 4 year old might get better balance, for example, if you held their hands while they stood, and you took the seat? I remember being put on a bicycle at 3 and allowed to fall over, in soft sand, and I got my balance pretty quickly. Especially when the Australian Taipans were after me!

My concern is unrestrained children in cars simply because they can watch passing traffic. Has anybody here seen a child thrown through a car windscreen? Not to mention being hit by the front seat headrests? Happy to show you some extremely shocking photos (which are publically available). I saw no less than 13 unrestrained children in cars last Sunday. That was in a 10 minute cab ride!

Some input anyway

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:11 pm

sierra2469alpha - Yes, yes - totally agree with giving the seat to the Auntie - I was thinking more when it's the able bodied who sort of turn a blind eye when your child is getting knocked around. Mind you, my little guy prefers to stand and sometimes take a swing around the middle pole ( :o ) I think it's just manners in general (and not Singapore - worldwide) that need an overhaul.