Singapore Expats

Logo Design

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
pennant
Regular
Regular

Logo Design

Post by pennant » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 1:32 pm

hi i need someone/company to design a logo for my company's website, i have found a company to design my website but they charged for logo design is too high $300. found a company that will design a logo for $70.
better to have more options :)
Budget: $70
please leave me your email or pm me... thanks!
A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 6:42 pm

you won't get alot for $70 my friend. Chances are you'll get something very poor indeed.

Don't forget that design software and hardware PLUS design expertise costs alot. We train for years to understand form and factor and colours etc etc and people think we'll just give it away!

Good luck on your $70 logo. It'll be interesting to see what you get for it.

And yes I am a designer and no I am not soliciting for the work, especially not at that low price.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Tue, 24 Mar 2009 9:04 pm

I'm with UK designer here - $70 - no chance. Might as well do something yourself - bring out your own creativity!

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Fri, 27 Mar 2009 9:37 pm

Check out the virtual assistants(Google them). I was amazed at the services they offer and some offer graphic design. I use them for a whole list of "duties" so I decided to give their graphic design a spin. I got an advert designed for my product and I was very impressed (i used a Singapore based company in the past). The cost worked out to 5 hours work at US$4 per hour, so I am sure you could get a budget logo that way too. The guy that is my dedicated assistant has credentials coming out of his ears (coding, CMS, Java scripting even an MBA) but as he is based in India he costs a fraction of Singapore costs let alone UK costs (where my business is based). He produced 3 seperate ads for me and asked my input the whole way.
Worth a shot!

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 2:48 am

US$4 an hour!!! Not that I wish to sound like I've got sour grapes or anything but it's probably designed with dodgy software etc which is why my "legal" software costs so much.

I understand that costs are lower in India but that's taking the p*ss.
It would be interesting to see what work has been designed by these types of companies.

A now ex-client (ex of my doing that is) started to use a company in India and was so impressed with their website design. Personally my 12 year old nephew could've designed a better one but there's nowt accounting for taste. I think he paid something like £500 (S$1100) for it. Very simple but also very boring. No serious thought into customer interaction, colours, useability etc etc.

Personally I am alot more expensive than that but then I offer a wealth of knowledge in design and the print industry to go along with it. Maybe these people do, I don't know as I've never used them directly but the adage of "you get what you pay for" applies in all fields in my opinion.

If their work is any good I think I'll shut up shop and become a broker and sell their services for a mighty profit..... Now there's a thought :-k

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 8:52 am

I get your point. I started using them after reading Timothy Ferriss "the 4 hour work week". And yes I reckon you would make more money doing less hours by brokering their services!
My Virtual Assistant does so much for me, I literally outsource most of the boring stuff - comparing products, research, designing ads, uploading my blog and products - all the stuff that is time consuming and tedious (IMO) I can outsource for 4 bucks an hour! Then I head off to Sentosa for some fun! LOL

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 9:04 am

I think it really depends on what you mean by 'design a logo'. Anyone can design a logo, at least anyone with some artistic capability. Whether or not it actually conveys the message is another question.

UKD - I bet you are much more closely aligned with a branding exercise... given a company, its mission, its clients, its owners... what does the brand look like, logo included? This is what we did when we set up... did we want to have the look and feel of a safe conservative bank? Or wide open? Or what?

The second thing is that if you 'get a logo for a website' that is all you get... a logo. But in reality it is the overall look and feel that matters. Where does the logo go and how does it interact with other colors, controls, and patterns?

And speaking of color, a properly done branding includes printed materials as well... biz cards, letterhead, advertising materials, banners and such... with plenty of docs for the printer.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:17 pm

SE you're right although very few small companies understand the value of having a "brand" with corporate stationary, guidelines, various logos in 1 colour, 2 colours & 4 colours.

Even back in the UK it's very difficult to explain to someone that there is more to an identity than just whacking something together. Naturally it always comes down to price and the OP's quote of S$300 IMO is still very cheap. I used to charge about S$750 for an identity but in all honesty have stopped doing them these days. People don't understand the value of having a proper brand and just want something knocked up that looks pretty. The internet hasn't helped much with lots of second rate websites, nasty software and off course good old microsoft publisher which is the bain of any decent designer.

People also seem to forget that we designers have costs and training and expertise and will do alot more than just make it look pretty. There's font choices, colours, the feel, the imagery, guidelines etc etc. Have a look at this site for a selection of real logos http://logopond.com/ now these are proper designs by quality designers using the proper software. Very inspirational. There's a few sites I look at for ideas & concepts.

I had a client once that I designed a poster for and charged her £100. She had a fit about the price and said it was too expensive. When I asked her how much she charges an hour she told me £90. She was a "corporate stylist". Basically she'd come into your office and explain that how you dress explains your presence or some crap like that. I then had to explain to her that I had over £20,000 worth of equipment to pay for and electricity etc etc whereas she didn't have any costs and that £100 was cheap. I asked her to pay her bill in cash and not to come back. She then went to another design company and paid 3 times as much for them. Some people are just weird.

Thaician - I'd be interested in seeing what ads they designed for you, just for pure interest. I like to keep my finger on the pulse as such and as India is such a growing market for these out-sourcers it'd be interesting to see the quality of their work.[/quote]

cynicalbanker

Post by cynicalbanker » Mon, 04 May 2009 11:22 pm

Would anyone suggest going to 99design? Any comments? I need a corporate logo too..

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Mon, 04 May 2009 11:28 pm

this website is a contest website.

Any decent, self-respecting graphic designer will not touch such sites with a barge pole.
We call it working for no money and no decent designer will work for free.

Pay peanuts and you'll get monkeys.... that's what 99designs is.

Good luck!

cynicalbanker

Post by cynicalbanker » Mon, 04 May 2009 11:38 pm

I understand what you mean by that. Its not the amount of money involved but rather that possibility of not earning at all even though you put in effort.

I have been to the webby you mentioned in this thread. LogoPond. I realized that it was the webby that my mates in digital media design went to in the past.

Very good solid work there.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Mon, 04 May 2009 11:43 pm

quality logos by very talented designers for which you will pay a proper price and receive a full design service for and various alternatives in 1, 2, 4 colour, eps, ai files, jep and gif files.

cynicalbanker

Post by cynicalbanker » Mon, 04 May 2009 11:55 pm

Sure Thing. I spoke to an advertising firm and they were charging me quite a premium for the work. I have to be honest being a startup and all I could not afford them. I've put out an advert on the forum classifieds because my earlier post apparently was violating the rules.. LMAO..

Hopefully I can get some people to contact me. Its a pain that I have to do the 5post to get out of moderation and use the PM..

Anyway, i understand the value of good quality logo and the perceived value it can bring. The question is always how much.
Hopefully my budget is ok enough to get me a designer.

Thaiclan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Thaiclan » Tue, 05 May 2009 4:17 am

Check out www.elance.com. I have now used them for several projects, three of which were to design logos, 2 press ad's and 1 brochure. Okay 1 job I was unhappy with so in that instance I did not have to pay, but the rest of the jobs really are very professional. For instance the latest logo I had done was delivered in numerous formats as well as in a spectrum of colours - this cost me US$65.
The tri-fold A4 brochure I had designed cost US$70.
If you take a look at the site you can get to view all their portfolios. There are hundreds of designers to choose from. You post your job with a budget and designers across the world come and bid for you. Many are from India or China but there are also uni students from USA and UK.
btw elance is not the only provider, if you Google Virtual Assistants you will get dozens more, its just I have personal experience with elance.

cynicalbanker

Post by cynicalbanker » Tue, 05 May 2009 4:03 pm

Thaiclan wrote:Check out www.elance.com. I have now used them for several projects, three of which were to design logos, 2 press ad's and 1 brochure. Okay 1 job I was unhappy with so in that instance I did not have to pay, but the rest of the jobs really are very professional. For instance the latest logo I had done was delivered in numerous formats as well as in a spectrum of colours - this cost me US$65.
The tri-fold A4 brochure I had designed cost US$70.
If you take a look at the site you can get to view all their portfolios. There are hundreds of designers to choose from. You post your job with a budget and designers across the world come and bid for you. Many are from India or China but there are also uni students from USA and UK.
btw elance is not the only provider, if you Google Virtual Assistants you will get dozens more, its just I have personal experience with elance.
Thanks Thaiclan, I've looked into it but it's not really what i'm looking for. Didn't have much luck with my $500 ad till now. probably have to increase my budget.. LMAO..

What do you think? $500 to design a corporate logo + letterhead + name card.. too much to ask for? =)