Singapore Expats Forum

'Respect For Others'....A Forgotten Phrase, Seemingly...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 4:04 pm

ksl wrote:We all have our own unique traits, i say accept it, take a cooling off period, because we are no going to change at all. It was totally out of character for WIMH, but it probably made her feel good to let off steam!

It doesn't really matter if it is an expat forum or not, because people will remain the same, no matter where they are. It's our own personal identities, we are, who we are, some hard on the outside and soft in the middle, some soft both in and out, and some hard in and out!

We tolerate until we tolerate no more, the safety valve blows, the steam comes out, and a cooling period is the norm..we still retain our characters.

Make love not war! :P

Oh damn it all ksl..sigh....................gonna be good now......
And just when I was gonna start singing 'Welcome To The House Of Fun'!.....while dealing from my 52 pack of sarcasm cards..... :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 7:50 pm

ozchick wrote:
ksl wrote:We all have our own unique traits, i say accept it, take a cooling off period, because we are no going to change at all. It was totally out of character for WIMH, but it probably made her feel good to let off steam!

It doesn't really matter if it is an expat forum or not, because people will remain the same, no matter where they are. It's our own personal identities, we are, who we are, some hard on the outside and soft in the middle, some soft both in and out, and some hard in and out!

We tolerate until we tolerate no more, the safety valve blows, the steam comes out, and a cooling period is the norm..we still retain our characters.

Make love not war! :P

Oh damn it all ksl..sigh....................gonna be good now......
And just when I was gonna start singing 'Welcome To The House Of Fun'!.....while dealing from my 52 pack of sarcasm cards..... :wink:

Feel free to flow with your biorhythm, we all do it and don't really know why, until we think about it, but fun it is, in most cases :wink:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:07 pm

I would have to agree. And it transcends any local- / foreigner- thing. Everyone's affected, here and anywhere else I've been speaking with people. Across regions, across industries.

road.not.taken wrote: It's not just here, anxiety levels are high everywhere -- people are worried and just plain scared.

A former colleague and Very Big Guy in the company I (still) work at told me last year that things were getting ugly, and when they do, people start getting nasty out of self-protection. That was almost a year ago, and look where things went since then. He was spot on. It's Corporate McCarthy-ism.

I see it in everything, everywhere. And it gets passed on to everyone - to taxi drivers, from them to their customers, etc.

And I'd have to agree with a later posting you made - when you're a foreigner posted outside your home country, you have the added stress of having that much less of a backup, and this is compounded when you see others around you losing their jobs left and right. You may have to leave, and quickly, and may not actually have a place to go. And wherever you go, it will be very costly to move.

And it's not like other downturns, where you can just go find another job - they are not out there, you are now in competition with a lot more people in the same situation, and some industries will never come back to where they were.

It means very potentially having to reinvent yourself at the tail-end of your career. Which is difficult anytime, harder in a country like this which discriminates against age (not only do you amazingly have to state your race, but your age, on CVs and job applications, something considered illegal where I'm from and I stand by that). It means you are likely to be out of work for a year.

Anyway, addadude covered this pretty well, I'm supporting that.

I thought the level in this forum was higher than having to yet again see a repeat of the common fallacy that all foreigners are 'expats', i.e. schools and other expense are paid for, etc. Anyone who thinks this is seriously deluded, displaying this is pure ignorance.

Most of us get nothing from the company, re a later comment on 'perks'. There are less and less of these people in companies like mine everyday, and there are already very few of them. And some who are those 'expats' actually deserve it - they are damn good at what they do and they are needed here or any other place the company decides to post them where they do. Of course not all of those 'expats' are worth their salt.

Just like while it makes sense to be disgusted at the high-paid execs at companies like AIG, it does not to condemn anyone working at banks (for example) because the vast majority of those people are neither rich nor greedy - they're just people at jobs that exist in any industry.

And in some of these industries, these foreigners work damn hard, and have long hours, and no job security. And if you're from the US, you get double-taxed - think about that for a moment and realize the serious financial implication.

But...that Angry Board-esc deluded "Rich Evil Expat" and ensuing schadenfreude mentality was willingly demonstrated here.

Actually, having said that, just seeing this thread today and having only now read it from start to finish, it's pretty obvious to see how it started out with integrity but went right into one person's weird proclivity to bait others into worthless catty arguments. But I also see that there were those who rose above that and it's back on track. Probably due to the quiet of one having her foot in her mouth again, and taking the high road to sit this one out.

So Dave, I think your heart is in the right place, if we start loosing what we have at least we shouldn't loose our humanity towards the people around us, wherever we are.

I was traveling and would have chimed in earlier, but hey, what would this thread be without my own personal brand of <2SGD/100 ?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

A Slight Upturn In Forum Behaviour, Maybe...?

Postby Dave Magoo » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 9:51 am

At the risk of stirring up the pot again, just wanted to quickly return to this thread to say that, it may be just me, or maybe I'm only following the 'happy clappy' threads these days, but it does appear that there has been an overall calming down in the number of personal slatings contained within the various threads floating around at the moment. Good to see....makes checking in on the Forum that little bit more palatable again :cool:

Clearly, this thread isn't the main reason behind any change in atmosphere that has occurred (assuming its not just my imagination, that is), but hopefully it has contributed a little by way of providing a mirror for a few of the more discerning regular posters :o

Keep it up, guys :wink:

Magoo

p.s. Don't worry, road.not.taken...must admit I did feel rather bad for a little while about the furore surrounding this whole thread, but good to see that it may have had just a little bit of impact on how we all see and behave on the Forum. EADG...good commentary also, and, as you say, it's good to remind each other now and then of our own personal accountability in these tough times.

p.p.s Still hoping to attract WIMH back to these hallowed pages at some point soon :)
One day, lad, all this will be yours....what, the curtains?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:33 pm

This forum like any other is the sum of its parts, which change, and it won't be the first time it's waxed and waned and morphed into something different. Change Is Good. And there are other ways to spend one's time.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Re: 'Respect For Others'....A Forgotten Phrase, Seemingly...

Postby TennoHekka » Wed, 20 May 2009 1:26 am

Dave Magoo wrote:Just wondering what's up with everyone these days. Every second thread I read at the moment is full of back biting, vindictive, personal attacks that quickly detract from the point of any thread, be it relevant or not.

Maybe, it has always been this way and I've not really noticed it before, but I for one am getting tired of following some initially rather interesting threads, only to see them rather rapidly descend into the sewer of playground tit-for-tat name calling et al.

Lighten up, everyone. I know times are not so good right now, but that's no excuse for not showing any respect on this forum. Take your frustrations out on Nintendo Wii or something, and keep these pages free for more intelligent, considered, thought out debate.

Cheers :)

Welcome to the net dude...Just got off facebook fighting with those guys who wanted to protest Obama's pro-choice stand, and compared to there, its a quiet paradise here.