Singapore Expats Forum

Deposit Withheld

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby DimWit Kid » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:56 am

rluk wrote:Not paying the last 2 month's rent seems the most logical option. Although I have a fairly good relationship with my landlady, and don't want to needlessly be a prick and cause trouble, but the power (i.e. cash) is all in their hands otherwise. I think I will at least have a discussion on the process for repayment of the bond before I pay the last two months rent. Any other useful tactics?

Well I agree with that.. it's a pity if the landlord seems to be decent but I don't want to fall again and again to the same hole.
I got a lawyer (friend) to check the lease agreement (which is a standard one) and my biggest financial liabilities by withholding last two months rent is the interest slapped (ie in total about 3% of the monthly rent). The landlord can also legally try to kick you out of the property because you don't pay the rent.
On the other hand if we don't get our deposit back I think we can use the small claims tribunal to make our case. Once it's decided in your favor, it's not the end. You still need to ensure they execute it (ie transfer your money back). If they don't you need to get police involved and seize your money back... at least that's what I read (either here or in angry board, can't remember). So far for me, it's either not worth it (I'm a poor expat that lives in a thousand plus condos) for me to get back, or the lawyer letter (very cheap courtesy of my lawyer friend) always did it for me.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 1:38 pm

DimWit Kid wrote:On the other hand if we don't get our deposit back I think we can use the small claims tribunal to make our case.

Alas, this is only practical if you're staying in Singapore and can follow up (or have a really good buddy staying behind who can take care of this for you). Also, greedy landlords are rarely stupid enough to entirely withhold the deposit without a reason -- instead, they'll just make ridiculously huge deductions for "damage" assessed at $1000 per nail hammered into the wall and $500 for each scratch on their $29.99 IKEA table. This is why you need to take good photos of the apt as you move in...

But rluk, at the end of the day, court orders will work. If the court decides that the landlord is in default/unreasonable, then yes, if all else fails then the repo man can march into his apartment and sell his telly to get your money back.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Deposit Withheld

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 2:17 pm

Feynman wrote:I have been reading posts at this site for near on 5 years now and never felt the need to respond or register until now

Vaucluse .... for the last couple of years Ive seen your posts.
Jesus what an unfunny arrogant snob you are ...
How in the hell have you survived in Asia so long with such an attitute ...
(* no wonder thailand didnt agree with you *)

You need to grab a hold of yourself (yes your parents always told you
are ) but when you deal with real people this type of
disposition will glaring shine through

Ozchick has been a genuine poster throughout and yet again reliving your days on the playground you fall back into the "bully" mode.

I think the only country in asia your type could survive in "is" singapore where the superficial override the genuine

apologise to this board and to ozchick ...and let the healing begin from your side

Oh dear, a first post . . . please tell us more stories. If this exchange has ruffled your feathers the you certainly have NOT been reading this forum for five years.
Nothing bully-boy about it, just responding to another poster's inane rants . . . yours will be no different.

My parents never told me I am the 'the best of the best', we are not American. :) Nor did we have bumper stickers proclaiming me to be the 'best of the best'.

As for being unfunny and a snob . . . many will disagree, some will agree. I have no problem with that. Horses for courses, as it were.

Now, just look at your 'first' post and try to deduce what people's opinion may be of you. One post and already getting into a shit-fight, albeit a one-sided one.

Surviving in Asia with which kind of attitude? The kind that doesn't accept wholesale slander and gross generalisations? The attitude that accepts that not everywhere is like Kansas or Mount Druitt? The kind that sees that not everything different is bad?
It seems that my time here has not been that bad . . . how about yours?

Thailand? Yes, didn't work out too well. Singapore? Brilliant! Hong Kong? Excellent. Tokyo? Amazing. Kuala Lumour? Loving it.

So, your point is?

(Oh, notice that I didn't stoop to your level of aggression in my response to you . . . Does that tell you something about yourself or me?)

Anyway, this thread is not about me, please don't try to make it so . . . especially for your 'first' post.

'nuff said Image

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Deposit Withheld

Postby EADG » Fri, 03 Apr 2009 7:01 am

neither did mine, and we are, and nor did we or anyone else we knew

Vaucluse wrote:My parents never told me I am the 'the best of the best', we are not American. :) Nor did we have bumper stickers proclaiming me to be the 'best of the best'

...your main point not being lost of course, just stopping a tired old cliche from further perpetuation
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 03 Apr 2009 3:10 pm

:) I just remember all the bumper stickers 'My Child is a Straight A Student', 'My Child etc etc etc . . . '

No offence meant

'nuff said Image

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Apr 2009 4:25 pm

Vaucluse wrote::) I just remember all the bumper stickers 'My Child is a Straight A Student', 'My Child etc etc etc . . . '

No offence meant

How about the 'my kid can beat up your honor student' bumper stickers?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 11:24 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Vaucluse wrote::) I just remember all the bumper stickers 'My Child is a Straight A Student', 'My Child etc etc etc . . . '

No offence meant

How about the 'my kid can beat up your honor student' bumper stickers?

Now that's in the correct vein of bumper stickers. :)

'nuff said Image

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 06 Apr 2009 1:16 pm

Late to this discussion but if the Landlord wont play ball then its time to get a lawyer to write a nice polite, legal sounding letter, SGPers live in fear of such things and with good reason, unfortunately I have had to use such a tactic more than once after asking nicely and getting no response. :x

But after the letter (or even the threat of one) they changed their minds very fast.
Poking, poking everywhere...

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Sat, 06 Jun 2009 9:49 pm

I replied to your other post dwb. Of course it sounds like a good idea to us being from Aus but the majority of Singaporeans live in government housing so its small issue for them.