Singapore Expats Forum

Deposit Withheld

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

robin37
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu, 09 Mar 2006

Deposit Withheld

Postby robin37 » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 7:24 am

Our landlord is withholding S$20,000 deposit money from us they will not answer the phone, fax or email I know where their office is and I know their home address I am getting very angry and need advice.

I might do something stupid but I cannot stand this unfair act any advice or do I need to get arrested so I can shame the landlord and get their name in the media.

I thought Singapore was a fair place however it seems I was wrong.

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed, 09 Jul 2008

Postby bluenose » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 7:29 am

Dont pay the last few months rent?
Go and see them face to face?

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 8:15 am

Start removing the all the fixtures and fittings when they see their kitchen on ebay, it might change their mind. or get a lawyer to write a letter, the thought of legal bills normally kicks them into action.

You don't say why they are holding the deposit, is the place damaged? or in these troubled time they may well have spent it and cant refund it.

People change phone and fax numbers, if you know the office and home address send a formal complaint letter, that has to be signed for on delivery at least you have a record that you have tried to contact them keep a note of all the attempts to contact them, then take it to your lawyers.

By doing something stupid and getting arrested will only mean the landlord has won, and when it come to your word against his, he will have an upper hand over someone who is seen to be "stupid"

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:27 am

control your anger and don't be silly, make sure you get to talk with them first.
I suspect your contract is already finished and you are wanting the deposit.

If there is no damage, start by going to the small claims court, the Landlord is expecting you to move back to your own Country i would think. Then its more difficult to get your money back, However you need to decide on legal procedures to follow through.

Singapore is quickly getting a very bad reputation!

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:43 am

Sorry to hear about the tough situation you're in, Robin. Singapore is a fair place in terms of its legal framework but not all Singaporeans are fair people, and sadly landlords have a poor reputation among expats.

I think you already know that it's not in your best interest to act stupidly. You're better off working with the law rather than taking things into your own hands in a place you're not familiar with and have few networks to support you. Try the Small Claims Tribunal which handles landlord-tenant disputes:

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/index.aspx

If you contact the media, be prepared to be sued by the landlord for libel or defamation if he can prove that he suffered a monetary loss from lower or foregone rental income because of your statements. Google "Singapore Defamation Act" to see what the law says on this, and try to stay on the right side of the law if you expect the law to take your side later.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Re: Deposit Withheld

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 2:25 pm

robin37 wrote:I thought Singapore was a fair place however it seems I was wrong.



What the heck is wrong with you? The whole country now is unfair because you are having problems with one person? Seriously, how stupid are you?. Now come on, relate to us how stupid you really are.

If this is your thought process then I wonder what you have not told us about why the 20k is being held. Is it al the bad, bad Singaporean's fault? All of it?

Come clean and people could probably give you some better advice . . . Oh, what nationality are you? It would be nice to know before anyone answers just in case you are not from a fair country.

After all, anyone from an unfair country doesn't deserve help . . . because that person MUST be unfair.
......................................................

'nuff said Image

splat
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue, 04 Nov 2008

Postby splat » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 6:17 pm

omg some of the managers here are the most emo unbalanced people ever! Sheesh like some Valium??

Yes it does suck that deposits are not held in a trust in this country.

I would go knock on their door every night until they hand over the cash and also look into taking them to court.

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 8:21 pm

Vaucluse - even for you that's a bit harsh. I understand where you're coming from, but maybe in these times we might try to be a little more understanding and not add to the obvious stresses and concerns that the OP had. Let's try and up the level of compassion - it's actually not that difficult :)

Flambe me, as I'm sure you will...

To the OP, if you could try and explain the circumstances a little clearer then I am sure you'll get some additional advice. WIMH has given you a good link, so keep us posted.

Mr.P

tgi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 14 Jan 2009

Postby tgi » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 8:29 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Vaucluse - even for you that's a bit harsh. I understand where you're coming from, but maybe in these times we might try to be a little more understanding and not add to the obvious stresses and concerns that the OP had. Let's try and up the level of compassion - it's actually not that difficult :)

Flambe me, as I'm sure you will...

To the OP, if you could try and explain the circumstances a little clearer then I am sure you'll get some additional advice. WIMH has given you a good link, so keep us posted.

Mr.P


I second your comment about harsh words from some people here.

I had a similar experience, and some Singaporean owed my 5k. Couldn't get hold of him until I asked my lawyer to send him a letter. within 24 hours, he came back, begging to return my money.

My advice: always play hardball! Get a lawyer letter, go see them face to face, make all the noise, let all their neighbors know about this.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 8:38 pm

While I'm sure Vaucluse can stand up for himself, I feel I must say something just because he's such a darling, coming to the defence of my beloved country.

Some of us posters have been around long enough to be quite jaded with the Singapore-bashing that sometimes goes on. It's much better now than it used to be, but I daresay V would not be posting like this if this was the first time someone slagged off Singapore for no good reason. It's having seen too much of this that triggers an overly severe response. I've been guilty of the same myself and often have to work hard to temper my reaction.

So while I sympathise with the OP, I also agree that there is a big difference going around saying that "My landlord was really unfair" and "Singapore is an unfair place". And I'm glad that people like V are around with the guts to say so in no uncertain terms.

Here you go, V :kiss:

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 9:00 pm

Big difference WIMH - All I suggested was V phrasing their words a little differently and with a little more compassion. As you might also note my post suggested that the OP explain the situation more clearly.

Or maybe we don't do compassion anymore?

Really - one comment by the OP which was an observation - ONE sentence. It was hardly Singapore bashing. To me it was simply a comment, not a criticism. Remember that the typed word often has no inflection, so the benefit of the doubt might be worthwhile.

It's not often I disagree with you WIMH - this time, I do. Yourself and V take one sentence and strip it out for all you want. That in itself, is against the culture here. Shame.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 9:17 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Vaucluse - even for you that's a bit harsh. I understand where you're coming from, but maybe in these times we might try to be a little more understanding and not add to the obvious stresses and concerns that the OP had. Let's try and up the level of compassion - it's actually not that difficult :)

Flambe me, as I'm sure you will...

Mr.P


Flambe you? Nah, I would never do that, would I? :)

Sorry, mate, but it just sounds so incredibly infantile and downright stupid to label a whole country negatively because someone has a problem with one (1, uno, einer, un, jedno een) person.

I was overcharged, ok ripped off, by a taxi driver in the southern Philippines last week . . . would I rip the whole 80+ million Flippies to shreds because of that?

Wind In My Hair wrote:While I'm sure Vaucluse can stand up for himself, I feel I must say something just because he's such a darling, coming to the defence of my beloved country.

Some of us posters have been around long enough to be quite jaded with the Singapore-bashing that sometimes goes on. It's much better now than it used to be, but I daresay V would not be posting like this if this was the first time someone slagged off Singapore for no good reason. It's having seen too much of this that triggers an overly severe response. I've been guilty of the same myself and often have to work hard to temper my reaction.

So while I sympathise with the OP, I also agree that there is a big difference going around saying that "My landlord was really unfair" and "Singapore is an unfair place". And I'm glad that people like V are around with the guts to say so in no uncertain terms.

Here you go, V :kiss:


:oops: Now I so shy one

Actually, WIMH, standing up is becoming a bit of a problem in my advanced years . . . thank you for the supprt . . . groan and creeeeaaaak!

Of course you have made the correct deduction vis-a-vis my rant. Years and years of hearing half-and dimwits crucify a country because they've been cheated/dumped/stared at/discriminated against/ etc etc probably has made my tolerance level dip a bit.
When I read some of this crap because it is an 'expat' forum and people believe they are among 'like-minded' people it gets under my skin. These gross generalisations are the product of a small mind . . . I'm probably no different at times.

Here's one: I was in Australia in January and the oaf at immigration had the gall to ask me why I travel so often . . . how dare he! <insert>. Then, I went to lunch with some friends and received a bottle of red wine instead of white at Doyles in Watson's Bay. WITH FISH!!! How stuid does the guy think I am?

So: Australia is a nosy, disrespectful, arrogant and downright stupid country. All 25 million of them . . . oh, and the wine I ordered was an NZ drop, so include the bloody Kiwis as well.

:)


Oh right . . . the topic.

Instead of writing your story here, as it is disturbing to be ignored when demanding something that is, theoretically, yours, have a lawyer send a letter . . . oh and be sure to tell the lawyer what you think of his country, it will make him work harder to change your mind. Guaranteed . . . these wogs need a good talking to every now and then . . . after all, we built Singapore and they owe us big time.
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 9:35 pm

Nooooo - it was just ONE sentence - or are you wearing your sensitive panties again, V :P I just think you and WIMH are taking one sentence a little out of context until we hear back from the OP. Context in text is everything as you know.

BTW - Bummer about the 'pines taxi ripoff - been there, done that also but in MNL. Mind you, I got ripped off back in SYD a little while back when the taxi driver asked where I was from. I said "Singapore", in my normal Aussie voice. The b***tard tried to take me the long way! Getting ripped off in your old home town is a bit of a worry. Such is life!

And the wine at Doyles - (the "...with friends..." - how much did you pay them ? :cool: It serves you right for going to a tourist place :P And there is nothing wrong with a nice chilled cianti with seafood - even fish - oh sorry, you ordered the FUSH and CHUPS (NZ) version :P

Lucky you're just jiggling your hook in front regarding Australians.

Cheers, P

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Deposit Withheld

Postby ozchick » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 7:53 am

Vaucluse wrote:
robin37 wrote:I thought Singapore was a fair place however it seems I was wrong.



What the heck is wrong with you? The whole country now is unfair because you are having problems with one person? Seriously, how stupid are you?. Now come on, relate to us how stupid you really are.

If this is your thought process then I wonder what you have not told us about why the 20k is being held. Is it al the bad, bad Singaporean's fault? All of it?

Come clean and people could probably give you some better advice . . . Oh, what nationality are you? It would be nice to know before anyone answers just in case you are not from a fair country.

After all, anyone from an unfair country doesn't deserve help . . . because that person MUST be unfair.




Clearly Vaucluse, the OP is upset. I would be too in his situation. But your comments don't help. Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all? Your tone lets the Aussie side down very badly. Go and have a lie down, now there's a good chap.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Re: Deposit Withheld

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 8:15 pm

ozchick wrote:Clearly Vaucluse, the OP is upset. I would be too in his situation. But your comments don't help. Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all? Your tone lets the Aussie side down very badly. Go and have a lie down, now there's a good chap.


Actually Ozchick. No. My mother didn't say that. Possibly she didn't want me to grow up being a scared little drone, not speaking up when required. Of a different opinion? Keep it to yourself, I guess is your motto . . . but then why are you speaking up now and not being nice to me.
Didn't your mother ever tell you . . yaddah yadah yaddah. You're boring and predictable, Ozchick.

Would you speak up?

How about I share with you my favourite piece of literature:

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Kommunist.

Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.

Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
habe ich nicht protestiert;
ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.

Als sie die Juden holten,
habe ich geschwiegen;
ich war ja kein Jude.

Als sie mich holten,
gab es keinen mehr, der protestierte.

* When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Martin Niemoeller

You attitude lets the Aussie side down very badly . . . look at history and see that 'we' have been in almost every war in the last 100+ years

sierra2469alpha wrote:Nooooo - it was just ONE sentence - or are you wearing your sensitive panties again, V :P I just think you and WIMH are taking one sentence a little out of context until we hear back from the OP. Context in text is everything as you know.

And the wine at Doyles - (the "...with friends..." - how much did you pay them ? :cool: It serves you right for going to a tourist place :P
Lucky you're just jiggling your hook in front regarding Australians.

Cheers, P


Sensitive panties? Nah . . . And now that Ozchick has thrown her small-size hat ion the ring it should develop into a nice thread. :)

Tourist place? Doyles and the Waddo Bay? Harrumph! I'll have you know that we owned a little boatshed right next to Doyles before it became all fancy and stuff and stuff.
Plus, it's our local, as per my moniker here (grew up 5 minutes down the road)! :lol:
Last edited by Vaucluse on Sun, 22 Mar 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
......................................................



'nuff said Image


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest