Singapore Expats Forum

Legal Advice greatly needed!!!Please Help!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mis_Sonia

Legal Advice greatly needed!!!Please Help!

Postby Mis_Sonia » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 7:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some great legal advice and would appreciate anyone who can provide any form of help regarding my problem. I am an expat living in Singapore, am from the UK.. but my Parents are Singaporeans. Two years ago my mother and brother bought a private landed property in Singapore and the property was documented as a Tenancy in common with my brother (ie:They both have 50% share each on it). However my brother took a loan of £500,000 from my father to pay for the 50% the house. He has now refused to repay the loan to my father. Can my father lodge a charge on the house for the debt that my brother owes? And if so, what are the legal issues surrounding that? Please provide me with as much information as possible. It will help greatly! Thank You!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Legal Advice greatly needed!!!Please Help!

Postby Splatted » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 8:23 pm

Mis_Sonia wrote:Hi everyone,

I am in need of some great legal advice and would appreciate anyone who can provide any form of help regarding my problem.

.... And if so, what are the legal issues surrounding that? Please provide me with as much information as possible. It will help greatly! Thank You!

My free legal advise for the day: ask a professional lawyer, and not a group of random people their opinions.

Even if we did give you legal advice, how would you know whether anything we said was true? Would you really risk it over something as important as the issue you mentioned?

Mis_Sonia

Postby Mis_Sonia » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 8:39 pm

well yes i would seek legal advice but it is difficult for me at the moment as i am out of town for work and will only return in 2mths to Singapore. It is also difficult for me to seek any help via telephone as my working hours are such tht when i am available to make that call, the law firms are closed from office hours. Also, my parents are very old and cannot seek the legal advice independantly without my presence. But the anxiety of not knowing what my legal position is is killing me and am therefore seeking any help from anyone who might have a vague idea of what i could expect. Thank you all who's offering to help in any form of way!

waz
Regular
Regular

Postby waz » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 8:08 am

I guess your only recourse would be your dad to sue your brother for the return of the loan. This is of course if he can prove that the money is given to your bro as a loan or not as a gift.

Another sad story about family fighting each other in court over money.
The only winner at the end of this are the lawyers.
I work to live and not live to work.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 2:19 pm

Mis_Sonia: given the time zone differences, do you have a trusted personal friend of yours here who could maybe make representations to a legal advisor here on your behalf? That might be, at least, a starting point?

HTH, Mr.P

@splatted: wise post :) Legal stuff is awry in any country - I guess that's why my sister-in-law spent 6 years becoming a solicitor!

Mis_Sonia

Postby Mis_Sonia » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:09 am

No unfortunately not..until i can get proper legal advice myself,i would appreciate if anyone could provide alittle guidance as to what legal options may be available to my dad

I was wondering...would my dad be able to lodge a legal charge over the property to secure the debt owed?

TennoHekka
Regular
Regular

Re: Legal Advice greatly needed!!!Please Help!

Postby TennoHekka » Wed, 20 May 2009 1:42 am

Mis_Sonia wrote:Hi everyone,

I am in need of some great legal advice and would appreciate anyone who can provide any form of help regarding my problem. I am an expat living in Singapore, am from the UK.. but my Parents are Singaporeans. Two years ago my mother and brother bought a private landed property in Singapore and the property was documented as a Tenancy in common with my brother (ie:They both have 50% share each on it). However my brother took a loan of £500,000 from my father to pay for the 50% the house. He has now refused to repay the loan to my father. Can my father lodge a charge on the house for the debt that my brother owes? And if so, what are the legal issues surrounding that? Please provide me with as much information as possible. It will help greatly! Thank You!

So you really think you're gonna get pro bono work done for you here?? Just seek legal advice in person, you know, make an appointment, etc etc... :roll: