Singapore Expats Forum

Looking to Make New Friends

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
mrAlek

Looking to Make New Friends

Postby mrAlek » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 9:29 pm

Hello:
I just moved here about a week ago – from the US (was most recently living in California). I will be living in Singapore for 2+ years, working at an environmental engineering firm. I am excited to be here, as this is my first time in Asia.

I am looking to meet people, make friends with common interests, and get to know Singapore – my new home. I don’t know anyone outside the office yet. But as I am planning to do some sight-seeing anyway, I’d like to invite others to join me – and hopefully develop some friendships.

I am interested in visiting the art museums, history museums, theaters, seeing live music, as well as dining at restaurants and cafés in different districts.

In order to set up something concrete, I’d like to plan a trip this weekend [say, Sunday March 22nd] to either the Singapore Art Museum or the National Museum of Singapore (depending on group preferences). And perhaps we could get a meal before or after.

I’d love to meet locals as well as other foreigners. So if you’ve been here a while and would like to show a new friend around town, or if you’re also new to Singapore and want to explore together, please reply to this post and let’s meet up.

And briefly, a little about me:
I am a 28 year old American male. I work as an environmental engineer. My interests include: environment/sustainability issues, politics, reading (most recent books: “The White Tiger”

marionberry

Postby marionberry » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 9:52 pm

I just sent you a PM!

edit: looks like my PM is still sitting in my outbox. let me know if you did not receive it.

xiaodanxd
Regular
Regular

Postby xiaodanxd » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Alek,

I'm Dan, aged 20 Singaporean guy. I'l be pleased to meet you and show you around Singapore. I've sent a PM to you - do read it and reply me soon.

Cheers,

Dan.

mrAlek

Postby mrAlek » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:01 pm

Hello Dan, Hello Marion:

I tried responding to both of you, but don't know if I was successful.

I am still planning to go to one of the museums this weekend. Are either of you interested? That would be a good chance to meet. Please let me know if you have a preference of art over national museum.

Hope to see you,
Alek

xiaodanxd
Regular
Regular

Postby xiaodanxd » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:05 pm

Hi MrAlek,

I am okay with either. Just choose your destination and off we'll whiz! xD

Send me an email and I'll give you my cellphone number there.

By the way, I never received your PM or message wherever you sent it. Please email me instead - saddened.souls.xiaodan@gmail.com

mrAlek

Postby mrAlek » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:19 pm

OK. A couple of people have replied with interest in the museum event.

So here is a specific plan; let's say:

The National Museum of Singapore
Sunday March 22 at 2:00 PM

Meeting at the Museum entrance. We should be able to find one another.

(anyone watching this post but not yet responding, please join us!)

Alek

xiaodanxd
Regular
Regular

Postby xiaodanxd » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:41 pm

Sure. I'll check back to this post on Saturday to see if things have been changed. If everything's confirmed as per say, I'll be there! Cya!

stoney

Postby stoney » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 2:47 am

i'm interested to visit the national museum as well. is anyone coordinating this event?

mrAlek

Postby mrAlek » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 9:06 am

Stoney:

I, mrAlek, am coordinating the event. I sent you a PM but am not sure it went through (or I may have sent you three... sorry).

For any others:
2pm Sunday March 22
National Museum of Singapore
Meet at main entrance
Currently expecting between 3 and 7 attendees.
Perhaps a meal or coffee afterwards.

Alek

bionkers

national museum 22/03

Postby bionkers » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 9:20 am

hi,

Jus noticed this post...this trip sounds pretty interesting and would like to join. Do I just turn up tomorrow? Not too sure how to identify the group?

brgds/

xiaodanxd
Regular
Regular

Postby xiaodanxd » Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:05 am

Just meet at the main entrance of the National Museum; "spot" the people joining us. It shouldn't be that hard considering how conspicuous lingering individuals in broad daylight are. ^^

stoney

Postby stoney » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:49 am

Hi Alex, Dan

i didn't receive any PM. I'll be there tomorrow. If you can please send me your contact number: black200309@hotmail.com

:) stoney

xiaodanxd
Regular
Regular

Postby xiaodanxd » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 8:45 am

Hi Stoney, please check your email inbox. I've sent you my contact number. Dan

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Looking to Make New Friends

Postby saint73 » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 7:00 pm

[quote="mrAlek"]Hello:
I just moved here about a week ago – from the US (was most recently living in California). I will be living in Singapore for 2+ years, working at an environmental engineering firm. I am excited to be here, as this is my first time in Asia.

I am looking to meet people, make friends with common interests, and get to know Singapore – my new home. I don’t know anyone outside the office yet. But as I am planning to do some sight-seeing anyway, I’d like to invite others to join me – and hopefully develop some friendships.

I am interested in visiting the art museums, history museums, theaters, seeing live music, as well as dining at restaurants and cafés in different districts.

In order to set up something concrete, I’d like to plan a trip this weekend [say, Sunday March 22nd] to either the Singapore Art Museum or the National Museum of Singapore (depending on group preferences). And perhaps we could get a meal before or after.

I’d love to meet locals as well as other foreigners. So if you’ve been here a while and would like to show a new friend around town, or if you’re also new to Singapore and want to explore together, please reply to this post and let’s meet up.

And briefly, a little about me:
I am a 28 year old American male. I work as an environmental engineer. My interests include: environment/sustainability issues, politics, reading (most recent books: “The White Tiger”

mrAlek

Follow up on Museum Event

Postby mrAlek » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:30 pm

Hello:

Thanks to all for attending the event at the National Museum. Altogether we had about 8 people in attendance. And I was glad to meet everyone.

Let's try to meet and do something similar very soon. We'll be sure to post it on the forum here.

Alek