Singapore Expats

Supporting special needs in mainstream schools

Are you looking for a Special Needs School for your child? Discuss the options here.
Vijayalakshmi

Supporting special needs in mainstream schools

Post by Vijayalakshmi » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:47 am

I'm trying to get some feedback on the international and local schools on the attitude and support they show for children with minor difficulties like ADD, ADHD and Asperger's. I am looking for feedback on the attitudes and sensibilities and not the actual presence or absence of learning support resources. Have any of you had positive or negative experiences with any of the mainstream schools that you can share with me?

jon0lim

Post by jon0lim » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:18 pm

As far as I know they are treated exactly the same way as regular children (Government Schools).

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 5:05 pm

Not sure this is helpful: Whether or not a student can find success at most International Schools really depends on the severity of the problem, of course. Once there are real results from an individual evaluation, or other test that come with students, then most schools can determine if their facilities and staff can handle the situation.

I know at SAS, if a child has a IEP (Individualized Education Program) then they are followed with the help of counselors, teachers, etc. Some classrooms are wired so children with auditory processing disorders can use headphones, nurses can administer medications, special help is available. There are also parent support groups and special lecturers brought in to address parent concerns.

I think as far as attitudes and sensibilities go, it depends on the counseling office at a specific school and division. Most International Schools have a reputation for being much more receptive and adaptive to children with minor difficulties then local schools. My daughter had a child with Asperger's in her Kindedrgarten class, it was sweet the way the other kids took care of him, and they were only 5 years old.

Vijayalakshmi

Post by Vijayalakshmi » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 8:42 am

Thanks Jonolim and road.not.taken.

Road.not.taken - this child that you mention - was he at SAS?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 3:11 pm

Sure was.