Singapore Expats

Interested in New Mom Meet-up group

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
trendwiz

Interested in New Mom Meet-up group

Post by trendwiz » Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:53 am

Hi,

I am 30 years old and have a 5 week old baby boy. This is my first child and I'm looking to meet other moms with infants. Does anyone know of any current meet-up groups for new moms or is anyone interested in starting one?

I have been living in Singapore for 3 1/2 years, just don't have many friends with babies...

Erika

langkawi06

Post by langkawi06 » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 5:18 pm

Hi Erika,
I have just arrived in Singapore.... with our 6 month old baby... once we are more settled I would like to meet other mothers with their babies...

trendwiz

Post by trendwiz » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 9:01 pm

Hi welcome to singapore! where did you move in from?? definitely let me know when you get more settled and want to meet up. i;ve been here for over 3 years so i'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm learning that there's a lot to do with kids here! its just a matter of meeting other moms, but i;m starting to.

hope you are finding the transition here easy.

Erika

cando

Post by cando » Tue, 17 Mar 2009 9:06 pm

Hi Erika,

Like you l have been here two years and have a 10 week old baby but no close friends with babies . Would love to catch up. I live in Upper Thomson and can meet up almost any time during the week.

Laura :)

trendwiz

Post by trendwiz » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:38 am

Hi Laura,

It would be great to meet up. Lets try to arrange for something next week. There may be a couple extra people to join so we can meet a few others in the same situation. I'm waiting to hear back what day is best for them and will let you know. Then we can arrange a time and place and start our new mom play group...though it will be more for the moms since the babies are so young!

Do you have a boy or a girl? So far everyone I"m meeting has girls except me. where are you from? Looking forward to meeting up. Does next week work for you??

Erika

langkawi06

Post by langkawi06 » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Erika,
We have just arrived from Switzerland... will definitely contact you once we are more settled.... the jetlag has really thrown our baby off his routine! I would definitely appreciate any tips on the best areas to live, how to find a nanny/maid (even though it seems it all depends on luck!)
Keep in touch and good luck with your first new mum's & babies group meeting!

cando

Post by cando » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Erika,

Sounds great. Looking forward to catching up next week. Just let me know the day. Have a group meeting on thursday from 2 - 4 pm. I also have a new part time helper staring next week but l will be able to work around that.

And yep ...... me too ....its a girl . Both hubby and l are from Melbourne, Australia but l have an Italian background

Thanks for organizing all of this.

alison.h

Post by alison.h » Wed, 18 Mar 2009 6:53 pm

Hi there
I would also be interested to join your meet up. I just moved here from Switzerland 1 month ago, our son is now 3 months old. I am from Scotland originally but lived in Switzerland for the past 8 years.
I am flexible re time/place. Thanks!

rosborn
Regular
Regular

Post by rosborn » Thu, 19 Mar 2009 8:01 pm

ladies it soudns like you may be interested in the New Mothers Support Group. They have a monthly newsletter, one-off comprehensive booklet on managing singapore with kids and monthly meet up at the Tanglin Gymbaroo.
http://www.nmsg-singapore.com/

Next meet is in about 2 weeks and it's not just for new mothers!
I have been twice with my 10 month old and 2.5 year old and i) it's great for kids ii) ladies are very friendly.

I also suggest Expat parents coffee mornings at the Pantry (a cafe) at Loewen Gardens. I hit that up when I first arrived and met some lovely parents - with babies too. It used to be each Tues. 10.30. Best to google it if you want to check time/location.

trendwiz

Post by trendwiz » Fri, 20 Mar 2009 3:16 pm

Hi Laura and Allison,

Are you girls free to meet up on Thursday or Friday of next week? We can meet at either my husbands restaurant off of Tanglin Road or we can meet on Orchard at one of the many Starbucks or at Raffles City (they have a couple Starbucks and also a Gloria Jeans that we could meet at.) This will be a first for me so I"m not too sure on what the baby friendly places are. I know Cafe Beviamo at both Tanglin and Paragon are popular for moms with their kids but its always so packed there.

We could meet around 1pm on either day. Let me know if that works for you. I"m looking forward to meeting both of you and if you meet anyone else along the way that wants to join us the more the merrier!

Warm Regards,

Erika

trendwiz

To Langkawi06

Post by trendwiz » Fri, 20 Mar 2009 3:21 pm

Hi, Singapore has many great locations on places to live. Holland Village is popular for expats and there is an MRT near by (Bueno Vista) and lots of shops and eateries and a 24 hour Cold Storage grocery store.

Also check out the East Coast. There are tons of condos along the coast that give you direct access to the beach where you can go out walking, rent bikes and rollerblades and just enjoy the scenery of all the ships on the horizon! :)

Of course the city is a popular place as well, all depending on your budget. but rents are starting to go down in price due to the economy. Really its all a matter of preference. My first year here we lived near Novena and really enjoyed it, now we are on the East Coast along the MRT line and have liked that convience though its a bit far from everything. Soon we will move closer to the city again.

As for getting a maid I'm not really sure where to look for that. I don't have one myself and haven't gone through the process. Maybe try posting a seperate post asking for advice on that.

Hope that helps a bit. Let me know if your able to join a meet up next week sometime, trying to arrange for either Thursday or Friday.

Cheers,

Erika

cando

Post by cando » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:02 pm

Hi Erika,

Friday sounds good to me. I can meet at 2.00pm if that's OK please ?? As for place - Ahmm not fussed. I have a pram with baby girl, so anywhere that's pram friendly. I agree Cafe Beviamo is always packed but good for prams. In paragon there is a great little cafe called Project or something like that , it has good food, good coffee and Yummy cakes but a little be tricky with prams. Otherwise your hubby place off Tanglin sounds good.
But l'm also happy to have you guys at my place. Plenty of room and l'll even bake a cake !! I live just outside Ang Mo Kio in a house.
I'll try and PM with phone number.
Looking forward to catching up.

cando

Post by cando » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Erika,

Cannot PM yet not enough posts !! How many post do l have to do ????

Laura :???:

cando

Post by cando » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:14 pm

Have PM you !!!!!!

liteonmag

Post by liteonmag » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 4:32 pm

Hi mummies,

I'm a Singaporean stay at home mum wif a 9mth boy who would love to meet up wif u ladies for a chat.
Mag K