Singapore Expats Forum

Charity Help

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
raythomson

Charity Help

Postby raythomson » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 4:02 pm

Hello,

Can anyone inform me is there anywhere in Singapore I can donate food or toys or household items to help older Singaporeans?

rather than give money I would like to give tangible help.

If anyone can recommend a chartiable organisation that will accept this please post here.

Thanks
Ray

DiDive

Postby DiDive » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 4:39 pm

Are older Singaporean your targeted recipients? I don’t think they need toys.

If you are really would like to give your tangible helps, you can donate your items to Salvation Army or your blood to HSA.

www.salvationarmy.org.sg <= I believe they need Volunteer

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/home.html

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Money...Gifts...

Postby notwavingdrowning » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 5:26 pm

Fantastic of you to be doing this...

I understand Salvation Army does good works here for older people in Singapore.

The Salvation Army is a Christian Church that meets community needs without discrimination. It offers practical support and spiritual guidance to men, women and young people so they can live to their full potential.

http://www.salvationarmy.org.sg/singapore click on donate to make a contribution...

I understand that the Singapore Govt gives generous tax breaks..Ie 2 for 1 dollar breaks..This is what I have heard anyway.. But please confirm..

If you or anyone wishes to give to a childrens charity, I volunteer 2 days a week at an amazing organisation that has been caring for unwanted and neglected toddlers and children here in Singapore for over 100 years. They are partly funded by the Govt, but also depend on the generous contribution of others to keep its doors open

"Unlike other children homes or centres, the IJ Homes & Centres locate themselves in the heart of HDB estates to reach out to the poor and underprivileged in these neighbourhoods."

The Infant Jesus Homes & Children's Centres (IJHCC), was formerly known as Convent Orphanage and Home for Abandoned Babies. Learn more about it's history here.

Today the Sisters of the Infant Jesus remain called to the service of the poor, especially the children, regardless of race or creed by providing:

* Shelter for the orphans, children and youths at risk.
* A safe, caring and educative environment for children and youth through programmes offered
* Opportunities for the physical, mental, social, emotional and spiritual development
* Financial assistance and support to families.

One unique feature of IJHCC is that its Children's Home is located in the heart of an HDB estate. In this way, the Children's Home is able to provide support for the children (and their families) without having to remove the children from their familiar home environment, or having them stigmatized as being “institutionalised”
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cinder » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 8:51 pm

www.nvpc.org.sg

List of non for profit organisations in singapore. you can do advance search based on your preference.

Jhoven

Charity Help

Postby Jhoven » Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:41 pm

Hi

Giving intangible stuffs is also good, I used to do it before. There are lots of good charity institutions / organization in Singapore. I know a good one which i had donated and they really make a good use of it by helping others. I hope you can do as well.

Hope83

Postby Hope83 » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:41 am

Dear all,

I come from a family service centre, a voluntary welfare organization which works closely with the low-income and less privileged families. If you are looking to give away items, furniture, food rations or other things to do your part for charity, I ask only that you be willing to consider dropping me a message to see if you would like to donate it to us.

Or if there's anything else you would like to do for charity and help the less fortunate, organize activities, fundraising, you are more than welcomed to drop me a message as well.

Thank you all so much in advance for your time.