Singapore Expats

Why are Personal Trainers so pricey?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Why are Personal Trainers so pricey?

Post by notwavingdrowning » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 1:42 pm

This may likely be considered a silly question but its kind of bugging me..

I am currently looking for a qualified personal trainer to come to me and this initself is proving difficult. However when I do come across one they are charging anywhere from $100.00 to $160.00 per hour!

I would like to see a trainer a few times a week for a couple of months..But at these prices I may be whistling dixie...Is it just me or do others find these prices to be a little excessive?

I am aware that they are not employed 8hours a day, and have to make a living, but I just cannot swallow paying this much an hour..I am not alone in thinking this according to my friends..Surely it is pricing people out of hiring these guys?

I can understand the best of the best charging this higher rate...but surely not all of them are former champions???

Is this industry regulated in Singapore and is there anyway to find out if a trainer is qualified to be practicing? Or should I try to find out where the best students graduate from and try to hire a newly graduated student who lives close by at a more reasonable rate?

What is the best sports University around? Any positive advice welcome..
notwavingdrowning...is back from the Ashram and looking for a new career.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 2:27 pm

I can't say why they're so high here. I don't use them here for the same reason I refuse to pay double price for ordinary brand items just because they're in Orchard Road shops. I do miss working with a personal trainer though.

I can recommend an alternative; invest in a set of P90X dvd's, the next best thing to a personal trainer and you can do the exercises in your home. Invite a friend over to join in or just watch the dvd's to determine proper form and create your own work out for the gym.

Google P90X for more info.
Pakjohn

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Update

Post by notwavingdrowning » Tue, 10 Mar 2009 9:27 am

Thanks for the tip Pakjon..

However unless I can get the DVD to play itself and make me exercise I must get a real life trainer...

After much research I found a qualified trainer(Australian Uni BSc Exercise & Sports Science) as well as other training. He too was charging over $100.00 so I wrote him an email saying I felt this fee was far too high..He replied saying he wanted to help me and would be prepared to lower his fee by 25% to $85 a session. (I still think it is too much but beggars cant be chosers..)

I was happy enough with this compromise, and start with him Friday.

I tell you though, considering how many "trainers" are out there with just a 3 month course under their belt, I may have found a new "career"...

Example: I live in a condo that has a woman come weekly to lead 20 of us in water aerobics..We all signed up for a 20 week package @ $18.00 a week! You do the math..this woman is dancing by the side of the pool earning more than my gynocologist! :?

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Tue, 10 Mar 2009 9:59 am

Example: I live in a condo that has a woman come weekly to lead 20 of us in water aerobics..We all signed up for a 20 week package @ $18.00 a week! You do the math..this woman is dancing by the side of the pool earning more than my gynocologist!
You know, I considered it because I really believe in fitness as a way of life and enjoy it. The only reason that I don't is because I'm a little intolerant at times and would probably offend over half my clients. lol!

Your mind is the first thing you have to train, once you get it disciplined the exercise is easy and fun.
Pakjohn

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:11 pm

I wonder if they are all ex SIM LIM salesmen :lol: :P

I guess most of them are trained up by the brand name gyms here, certainly pay's well.

notwavingdrowning
Regular
Regular

Well

Post by notwavingdrowning » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 7:02 pm

I found what a thought was a great trainer. I did my research..

Excellent references and tertiary educated at a good University..

I told him I would not pay $100 an hour, so we came to an agreement of 10 sessions for $850.00 (paid cash/no receipt/ nice work if you can get it..)

Anyhow...almost finished the 10 sessions, and frankly the whole experience has been a big disapointment...

I have learnt that I must insist on a trial session (I did try that with him, but was persuaded against it)..I will not make that mistake again..

So if I can share anything, it would be, do not pay in advance...experience over education and perhaps personal recomendations only..

fitnessdept

Personal Training

Post by fitnessdept » Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:43 pm

I have had the chance to work with/handle fitness professionals as part of my job and I can confidently say that the best personal fitness trainers are not necessarily the most educated or experienced ones. The great ones are those who have true passion for helping others.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Personal Training

Post by ksl » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:06 am

fitnessdept wrote:I have had the chance to work with/handle fitness professionals as part of my job and I can confidently say that the best personal fitness trainers are not necessarily the most educated or experienced ones. The great ones are those who have true passion for helping others.
I can agree with that statement to a degree, but knowledge is also important :) ! Seems like i had hiccups, posted twice!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:32 pm

ksl, that's okay, I just gave you a slap on the back, hiccups gone! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fitnessdept

knowledge indeed

Post by fitnessdept » Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:48 pm

run away from a personal trainer who do not have at least decent knowledge about his/her craft. no one would want to compromise a client's safety. :)