Singapore Expats Forum

Impending divorce

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 04 Mar 2009

Impending divorce

Postby dogwood » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 4:49 am

I lived in Singapore for 5 years before becoming ill and returning to the US, while my husband has stayed in Singapore. He has been saying for a year and a half now that he wants a divorce, but has done nothing about it. I am now talking to a lawyer (not international) here about filing. Can anyone fill me in on the particulars of getting a separation/divorce under these circumstances? Can my husband get a divorce from Singapore and, if so, what rights might I have? Likewise, if I file first from here, is he obligated to respond? Can he contest from there? Really appreciate any enlightenment - this is a place I've never been or expected to be and don't know how difficult it might be being in separate countries.

Thanks, Kathy

User avatar
Posts: 35311
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 8:45 am

I don't think any of us are really qualified lawyers on the subject so only can give anecdotal evidence at best and probably 3rd or 4th had info at that. I would suggest you find a lawyer with international knowledge as soon as possible.

Having said that, if you were married in the US, it would be easier to do it via the US and especially so if he's the one instigating. You are liable to have more luck with a US lawyer. I'm not even sure he "could" initiate a divorce with a local lawyer if neither of you are Singaporean and were not married.

Your best bet is to preempt his actions if at all possible rather than fighting it which will just wear you down emotionally and possibly your health as well. Unless you really see a chance for reconciliation that is....


Posts: 271
Joined: Mon, 03 Nov 2008

Postby carolynW » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 5:37 pm

International divorces are quite complicated, best bet is to see a local divorce lawyer, I don't think they charge for "first consultation".

My friend who had alot of assets had checked out with the lawyers here before getting married, neither she nor her husband are local and their advise was that it depends on the jurisdiction you call home for the past few years.

Of course if its amicable you can just unwind based on where you signed your papers.

better to go see a lawyer.

User avatar
Global Citizen
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 7:56 am

You should be able to file for a divorce from the US even if he's residing in Singapore. Your lawyer will forward all correspondence to him.
One man's meat is another's poison.

User avatar
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon, 29 Sep 2008
Location: Jamaica

Postby pakjohn » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 9:27 am

I can give you a little reassurance; as a U.S. citizen your reach is quite strong. I've seen this numerous times where the wife is stuck with fixing or terminating a marriage because the husband is in another country. Most lawyers in the U.S. can easily set you on the right path and will leverage your rights to force the guy to quickly resolve this situation.

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests