Singapore Expats Forum

Am I alone?

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
noel43

Am I alone?

Postby noel43 » Sun, 01 Mar 2009 6:06 pm

I'm a malaysian chinese working in Singapore since 2000. Life everyday is like working, go home, dinner, online, go to bed sleep.

Sometime will catch up with fren & ex colleague once a while dinner & drink. But most of the time, i found my life is just like plain water.

I know i'm suppose to widen my social circle to make life more meaningful. But somehow may be becoz of my personality & poor english, im just difficult to start my first move.

Didn't mean to grumbler here, but i just wonder if there's any one out there having the same plain water life like me?

It's weekend and i'm staying home net surfing.. sigh.

moto
Regular
Regular

Re: Am I alone?

Postby moto » Sun, 01 Mar 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Noel and the others who feel they are the same liquid :)

It is not as if all of us are outgoing people who lead such exciting lives each day of the week. I guess most, like you and I, have our daily routines that follow the home-work-dinner-online-sleep cycle. Nothing wrong with it, as it is work that brings us here and away from our family and our lifelong social circles...

But this is not to say we should also remain idle like plain water (to continue the metaphor). It is important to make the first step to reach out to people. Just attend some random expat meetings and soon enough you will find a group you will get along with... I am speaking from experience here...

Anyway, just PM if you are upto something... and I look forward to seeing you in a future get-together.

Regards,

Moto

porridge0000
Chatter
Chatter

Postby porridge0000 » Mon, 02 Mar 2009 9:04 am

Dear Noel,

Well. Don't be disheartened... There's a lot of people like you... And hence, the main reason why they are (including me) is here... =)

So do drop us a pm/email or whatever... And perhaps you can try widen your social circle by making friends with those who share same hobbies as you... So can go out together during weekend...

woofmy

Postby woofmy » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:17 am

Noel,

Life will be plain if you wait for things to happen. Do take the first step, reach out as there are many outings being organized here (drinking session, sport games, eating around the island, single parties, pub quiz nights, etc.).

Language is not a barrier. There is even a Cantonese speaking group here.

Good luck.

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:39 pm

You have spare time on hand is much better than me. I need to spend 13~14 hours at work & no time for dinner. Can't really arrange for personal events on weekdays, as I have no idea what time I can leave office, untill the moment I am able to leave.

Weekends are also occupied by company's all sort of "events". You still have time to surf net.

Lately, the only 1~2hrs spare time I manage to have for activity on weekends are all blessed by rain at that exact moments ! ! This is really call NO LIFE ! ! :evil:

noel43

Postby noel43 » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 1:38 pm

Thks everybody for the comments & advices. Yeah, guess i really need to change myself not to be so passive.. and appreciate life better. :)

Dounut,
Don't overwork. Do give urself a little break if possible. :)

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Thu, 05 Mar 2009 1:14 am

noel43 wrote:Thks everybody for the comments & advices. Yeah, guess i really need to change myself not to be so passive.. and appreciate life better. :)

Dounut,
Don't overwork. Do give urself a little break if possible. :)

I also don't like to work so long hour. I have been longing for a work life balance. But is so near yet so far. :-|

DiDive

Postby DiDive » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 4:13 pm

Life is very much predictable, work, sleep and eat.

After a long day staying in front the computer, i don't feel like doing anything after that, lying on the bed is the best thing to do to reclaim my energies.

Speaking to my friend yesterday, we notice that our friends also doing the same things, playing ball game during Saturday, and movie on Sunday.

What a boring life, is there any others better suggestion ?

avpal_jobs

Postby avpal_jobs » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 9:40 pm

Jus relax a bit from your busy schedule and do things that u r interested in...

noel43

Postby noel43 » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:41 pm

Im in 854 bus now.. online.. net surfing.. Just finished dinner gathering with ex- colleagues.

Sometimes feels quite interesting taking night bus drive, sight seeing. :)

woofmy

Postby woofmy » Tue, 10 Mar 2009 9:13 am

noel43 wrote:Thks everybody for the comments & advices. Yeah, guess i really need to change myself not to be so passive.. and appreciate life better. :)

good move. have fun reaching out.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:38 pm

hi im sort of the same im just too shy to talk to people.

JuliaPham

Re: Am I alone?

Postby JuliaPham » Mon, 13 Apr 2009 6:59 pm

Hi Noel,

I am in your situation now. I've been here for 2 weeks. I really feel so bored and lonely. Everybody was so happy when they had 3 days off. I didn't... I felt so bad during holidays. Let's meet up sometimes to get out of such feelings. My email is hoai_chung78@yahoo.com. If you re or anyone is interested in going out to have dinner together, pls drop me some lines.

Julia

moto
Regular
Regular

Postby moto » Tue, 14 Apr 2009 8:13 pm

hi... just wondering why you didn't join the many activities here?

i, for one, had helped organize various things to do for each of the three days of the long weekend to keep people occupied and develop a sense of belonging in this, our expat community.

but we can only do so much if, despite these postings and invites, you will still not join us and continue harping on being alone. sorry for the tough love ;)

now, having said this, i hope you will join us next time... :D

pcli

Postby pcli » Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:16 pm

You are not alone!

Why dont we arrange a meet up? Anyone who is keen?

First of all, cheers for friendship!