Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone know how to travel from Singapore to Johor?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Dedric08

Re: how to go to johor?

Postby Dedric08 » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 2:44 pm

dejavulupa wrote:Hi..they said Johor cn buy cheaper milk and baby's stuff! is it true? how much cheaper for baby milk and diaper?

Yes. Cheaper due to currency exchange rate.

Where is the closer Giant or Carrefour near the border?

Closest will be the Giant near to Taman Sentosa

How to go there conveniently without personal car?

I will say Taxi near Jln besar although slightly more expensive. But they will give you their call card so when you want to come back, they will pick you up from an agreed designated area or timing.

Most of all: is it safe to travel there???

Emm... Just take precaution not to show your wealth and be too flashy or attention seeker lor and try to be in group and don't wander alone.

myasiatravel

Re: how to go to johor?

Postby myasiatravel » Fri, 08 May 2009 4:22 pm

dejavulupa wrote:Hi..they said Johor cn buy cheaper milk and baby's stuff! is it true? how much cheaper for baby milk and diaper?

Where is the closer Giant or Carrefour near the border?

How to go there conveniently without personal car?

Most of all: is it safe to travel there???

Johor is a shopper paradise for baby stuff and for household marketing. But my advise it is better to hire a mpv that can pick you up from yr place and then back home it will be easier.

cheers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Anyone know how to travel from Singapore to Johor?

Postby ksl » Fri, 08 May 2009 10:22 pm

cafecafe wrote:Anyone know how to travel from Singapore to Johor AFTER MIDNIGHT?

A friend wants to visit Singapore but does not actually want to stay in Singapore due to its overpriced hotels. He wants to stay in Johor. I told him there is a bus. But after midnight I don't think there is?

:???:

Mas Selamat holds the key and he's not telling anyone! :o

myasiatravel

Postby myasiatravel » Sat, 09 May 2009 11:30 am

ksl wrote:
cafecafe wrote:Anyone know how to travel from Singapore to Johor AFTER MIDNIGHT?

A friend wants to visit Singapore but does not actually want to stay in Singapore due to its overpriced hotels. He wants to stay in Johor. I told him there is a bus. But after midnight I don't think there is?

At least is Malaysia with a population of 24 million, Mas slamat have been caught. While in singapore a population of 4.5 million, he was never been caught.

That's reality. why we never question that? So hw safe is safe in singapore?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 09 May 2009 4:56 pm

myasiatravel wrote:
ksl wrote:

At least is Malaysia with a population of 24 million, Mas slamat have been caught. While in singapore a population of 4.5 million, he was never been caught.

That's reality. why we never question that? So hw safe is safe in singapore?

That is easy to explain, he probably took the bus and passed through immigration on false documents, which were planted at a pre designated spot. it takes less than 20 minutes to get out of Singapore, so obviously they couldn't find him in Singapore.

Although the operation to catch him was also a joint operation between Singapore and Malaysia according to the papers.

No Country is safe from terrorism my dear friend :wink: and no Country is safe from crime, however, the more effort that is put in to make a place safe, may just reduce the level of surprise.

What's the point of having NS if they have nothing to do? So Terrorism will always be on the list of all police forces and armies as a top priority task, which means everyday activity, is called training and the intelligence used is called training, think about it, all communications in and out of both Countries are probably monitored....the screws get tightened and eventually people do get caught.

Although its no joke when innocent people are murdered for the sake of murder.. Well done Malaysia!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 09 May 2009 7:00 pm

ksl wrote:That is easy to explain, he probably took the bus and passed through immigration on false documents, which were planted at a pre designated spot. it takes less than 20 minutes to get out of Singapore, so obviously they couldn't find him in Singapore.

Actually, one newspaper said that he confessed to using an "improvised flotation device" to swim across.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 09 May 2009 8:30 pm

jpatokal wrote:
ksl wrote:That is easy to explain, he probably took the bus and passed through immigration on false documents, which were planted at a pre designated spot. it takes less than 20 minutes to get out of Singapore, so obviously they couldn't find him in Singapore.

Actually, one newspaper said that he confessed to using an "improvised flotation device" to swim across.

So he never took the bus after all :roll: :lol: All that creative talent going to waste. I wonder if he was turned in for the reward money that never was.

I read that the two businessmen, that put up the reward, was never intending to pay it, it was a hoax.

kenni_82

Postby kenni_82 » Sun, 10 May 2009 11:17 pm

haha. i think the reward got terms and conditions attached. Must look out for the small *.
Well i am curious in a way that since he know he is a wanted man, then he should have gone further into malaysia, why stay in JB so near to singapore.
Kenny Heng
www.hengs-empire.com
-home cook is always best food

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 11 May 2009 10:56 am

Partially, i think, because nobody expected him to remain "local" all the eyes were looking further afield. Can't see the wood for the trees, etc.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 11 May 2009 10:58 pm

Maybe he turned himself in for the reward :lol: Now that would be funny :P Sounds like a poor English joke to me :oops: I must not say Irish or Scottish, anymore, I've turned over a new leaf! :roll:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Tue, 12 May 2009 1:39 am

I'm still with the bus theory. I just dont see the guy swimming ( even with a floatation device) Weren;t we told he had a limp which would indicate he's hardly Mark Spitz :D Me thinks cover up for the embarrasment of the boarder control guys. The media were just a bit too pushy to explain the distance "could be swam by a school boy' 8-)

Nope not convinced.

Still! pretty damn cool they got him after all this time!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 12 May 2009 11:18 am

bigfilsing wrote:I'm still with the bus theory. I just dont see the guy swimming ( even with a floatation device) Weren;t we told he had a limp which would indicate he's hardly Mark Spitz :D Me thinks cover up for the embarrasment of the boarder control guys. The media were just a bit too pushy to explain the distance "could be swam by a school boy' 8-)

Nope not convinced.

Still! pretty damn cool they got him after all this time!

I doubt very much that he could swim 1km without proper training, I know myself that I can struggle with a 100 metres, after i have stopped swimming for 3 months, with training I have in the past done 50 X 50 meter with ease. But after stopping swimming, for a period of time, ones fitness suffers dramatically.

Even if he was supported drifting , it would be extremely difficult and probably more of a life threatening risk, my 2 cents is that he had help from the inside, and that he had time enough before the whistle was blown. After all several protocols would have to be activated before a mass search, which probably took several hours, to muster up a significant search party. So I suspect he took the bus, with false documents and money easy provided by visiting guests, to a pre set location in Singapore.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 12 May 2009 12:22 pm

ksl wrote:Even if he was supported drifting , it would be extremely difficult and probably more of a life threatening risk

If you have a flotation device, you can float indefinitely. Kick your legs or waddle your arms every now and then and you'll move forward. This isn't the open sea we're talking about, the Straits of Johor have virtually no currents or waves.

And yes, he probably did have contacts in Singapore to help him escape, but I very much doubt anybody in the prison was in on the plot. This guy is a pro, he escaped twice before in Indonesia...

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 13 May 2009 11:12 am

jpatokal wrote:
ksl wrote:Even if he was supported drifting , it would be extremely difficult and probably more of a life threatening risk

If you have a flotation device, you can float indefinitely. Kick your legs or waddle your arms every now and then and you'll move forward. This isn't the open sea we're talking about, the Straits of Johor have virtually no currents or waves.

And yes, he probably did have contacts in Singapore to help him escape, but I very much doubt anybody in the prison was in on the plot. This guy is a pro, he escaped twice before in Indonesia...

Sorry but i disagree ( wouldnl;t you know it 8-) ) Been a few years back now but i used to wake board from Pongol marina. Loads of waves , Ok not "perfect storm" waves but enough to make a 1.1 click swim tough. and theres the stinging jelly fish and don;t forget the Water Police patrols that even in my day were very regular to say the least. These would undoubtidly have been stepped up during the hunt. If he did indeed swim he was very brave and extremely lucky to have made it.

The latest i heard at a dinner with freinds last night was a new " Mas Bourne Identity" Some say he was "asssited" over the border and tagged so they could follow him around Malaysia and pick up on terrorist associattes he visited :twisted:

The plot thickens....as they say

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 13 May 2009 11:59 am

bigfilsing wrote:Sorry but i disagree ( wouldnl;t you know it 8-) ) Been a few years back now but i used to wake board from Pongol marina. Loads of waves , Ok not "perfect storm" waves but enough to make a 1.1 click swim tough. and theres the stinging jelly fish and don;t forget the Water Police patrols that even in my day were very regular to say the least. These would undoubtidly have been stepped up during the hunt. If he did indeed swim he was very brave and extremely lucky to have made it.

I wouldn't like to try that unassisted either, but if you've got something to hang onto and keep you floating, it should be survivable. This method is often used by illegal immigrants coming to Singapore, which is what the patrols are looking for, not people heading the other way. One typical case in 2005:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2005/050613_iiarrested.htm